Why do some people require a trade at a bug hotel?

BarbVA

I found a travel bug hotel near my house, decided I'd look to see if I could help any along in the near future. But the hotel cache owner, specifies that you must trade a bug for a bug. Now here's the thing, we were thinking of maybe putting our own bug in there, when we take one, but this hotel looks pretty full and we don't want our bug just sitting for weeks or months at a time. Is it okay, if I do leave a bug somewhere to put in my bug listing to ignore any hotel cache owners requirment for trade and to just move it along if you can do so since the bug is mine? I obvioulsy wouldn't leave it in this cache now knowing the requirments, but somebody else may drop it there..................

IMO, a cache owner can't make rules about travel bugs. Only the TB owner can make rules about their own TB.

That being said, I have never taken all of the TB's in a travel bug hotel. I try to take some and leave some. But if it looks like it has become a TB prison and some of the bugs have been there for months, I might take more than I leave.

There is one that looks like I can help it on it's way in the near future, but I certainly don't think I want to leave one behind. I think I'm just going to adopt the philosophy, if I can help I will, if I can't I won't. But I do think I'll put something on our bug listing about not letting it become a prisoner. Thanks!

I found a travel bug hotel near my house, decided I'd look to see if I could help any along in the near future. But the hotel cache owner, specifies that you must trade a bug for a bug. Now here's the thing, we were thinking of maybe putting our own bug in there, when we take one, but this hotel looks pretty full and we don't want our bug just sitting for weeks or months at a time. Is it okay, if I do leave a bug somewhere to put in my bug listing to ignore any hotel cache owners requirment for trade and to just move it along if you can do so since the bug is mine? I obvioulsy wouldn't leave it in this cache now knowing the requirments, but somebody else may drop it there..................

If that TB Hotel is more like a TB Prison, I would consider liberating several TBs (that I could help move along) while dropping zero or one new TB in their place.

Real hotels do not only allow guests to check out when an equal number of new guests check in. :anicute:

Ignore the cache owner's "rules". He has no say over how travel bugs travel.

Some honorable cachers will actually libarate these TB prisons, and take all the TBs just because of the 'rule'. But i am not suggesting this. Wait, yes, i am.

I did that in 2006 to a TB prison in Albuquerque. The owner had a hissy fit right on the page and threatend to archive it. On my way back through town I crammed it so full of bugs I could hardly close the lid which had been my intention when I first stopped there knowing I'd be returning from events on the west coast with a lot of bugs headed East. It was a nice secure location for a TB hotel. Too bad the owner was poorly informed on what is acceptable. :anicute: I believe the cache has since been archived for a different reason.

From what I've learned so far from the web and these forums, a cache owner is NOT allowed to make rules regarding travel bugs. Now, this owner is probably looking at this as making rules for the cache/hotel but essentially they're making rules for the bug itself.

I think the reason they do this is that they don't want it to constantly be empty because there are those who will take all the bugs in a cache, but honestly, a bug is supposed to moved by ANYONE, not only those with a different bug in their possesion. I would feel fine taking some TB's if I could help them move along their way, but I probably wouldn't take all of them so that the next person coming to the cache at least sees a bug or two when they get there.

I've seen this talked about on the forums a lot and most people agree to liberate the TB's and ignore the cache owners requirement. I agree with this because the rules and nature of a TB.

The one thing I'm surprised to see however is that in these threads, I never see suggestions to POLITELY email the cache owner and explain this. I'm sure many are aware and don't care, but some may just not realize that their cache rule infringes upon the rules of the rightful TB owner. I'm also surprised that reviewer would allow the cache to be posted like this. Reviewers should ask the cache owner to revise their rules to somethign like "please don't take ALL the TB's in the cache at once" or something like that instead of making a take-one/leave-one requirement on TB's which are by definition exempt from the swag rule.

I'd attach a small laminated card to your bug stating it's mission as well as to state that folks should please move this bug from TB hotels, even if you don't have one to leave in it's place.

Also put that statement on the TB page so the TB hotel owner can read it for himself if he has a problem with it later.

If you find my TB in there please take it!

I would think the idea of a TB hotel is a cache that can speed along many tbs without them sitting long. If you take several of them just make sure you put some back in the near future. I always try to leave at least one, when I come across these types of caches, usually the one that has been there the shortest amount of time if I know that info.

... I never see suggestions to POLITELY email the cache owner and explain this....

A polite log when you take a TB to help it should suffice. "Saw this bug wanted to get to Aruba and we had a family vacation there so we are taking this bug to help it along". The cache owner should catch a clue. A polite email won't hurt. Heck polite anything never hurts.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I removed the "requirement" a few years ago after somebody enlightened me. However, my logic at the time was that it would be ill mannered to leave the TB Inn totally empty. The next visitor deserved a chance to grab something. My "rule" wasn't 1 for 1 but rather to make certain at least 1 was still there when you left.

I still think it is ill mannered but I fully understand the need to remove any restrictions.

Ignore the cache owner's "rules". He has no say over how travel bugs travel.

Some honorable cachers will actually libarate these TB prisons, and take all the TBs just because of the 'rule'. But i am not suggesting this. Wait, yes, i am.

Agreed, 1,000%! And, in most parts of the world, such restrictive TB "hotels" are more accurately called "travel bug prisons".

My husband used to have a cache located in a rest area near several major highway intersections. It wasn't an official travel bug motel and didn't say a word about TBs.

There were several TB motels nearby with travel bug "rules" asking for one-to-one trades and not leaving the cache empty, etc. Most of them stayed pretty empty most of the time. I'm sure the intent of the motels was to make sure there was always a TB for someone else to find, but it didn't work out as well as my husband's cache with no rules.

People were constantly moving TBs in and out of his cache. They'd take four and drop five, take all and leave one, take one and leave six, or whatever. It almost always had Tbs in it. I only know of one TB that went missing from there, but I know of several that disappeared from the official motels near it. Sometimes a particluar TB would sit for months in the motels, but no TB ever sat for longer than two weeks in his cache.

Does anyone know of a good way to locate TB prisons? That might be a new game :D "Liberate the TB Prisons"...

I did a keyword search for "hotel" and came up with tons of them. Here are some fo the ones that clearly state that you must leave a bug to take a bug are below ( with the state in brackets just in case there are prisons near you)

GCHE7Z (Wisconsin)

GCH04W (Wisconsin)

GCED9B (Florida)

GCJCBF (Minnesota)

GCNXD5 (Oklahoma.....on this one it's very politely suggested)

GCQKWV (Idaho....this one is for premium members only and the rules are even more strict!)

GCQX8A ( New Hampshire)

GCVHHD (michigan)

GCXP56 (Wyoming)

GC18235 (Kentucky)

there are lots more, but these are good examples. if you need more, just search "hotels" if you have the keyword search option. If you dont, feel free to PM me with your area and I'll see if I can find some close to you.

My husband used to have a cache located in a rest area near several major highway intersections. It wasn't an official travel bug motel and didn't say a word about TBs.

There were several TB motels nearby with travel bug "rules" asking for one-to-one trades and not leaving the cache empty, etc. Most of them stayed pretty empty most of the time. I'm sure the intent of the motels was to make sure there was always a TB for someone else to find, but it didn't work out as well as my husband's cache with no rules.

People were constantly moving TBs in and out of his cache. They'd take four and drop five, take all and leave one, take one and leave six, or whatever. It almost always had Tbs in it. I only know of one TB that went missing from there, but I know of several that disappeared from the official motels near it. Sometimes a particluar TB would sit for months in the motels, but no TB ever sat for longer than two weeks in his cache.

It seems many of the hotels have the same problem as the ones you describe. I think it is due to the fact that they are not placed in a location that is not an "easy on/easy off". The caches that are near major highway intersections, rest stops, tourist spots, etc will always see hug numbers of travelers pass through. Many of the hotels I've visited always seem to be empty.

"The Sands of Waikiki" had over 600 "Found Its" (and loads of repeat visitors), and 600+ travelers pass through it! Why? Not because it was a "hotel" but because it was convenient and easy. Anyone who went to Oahu went to Waikiki, and how nature to sit down on the beach and nonchalantly grab the cache.

It seems many of the hotels have the same problem as the ones you describe. I think it is due to the fact that they are not placed in a location that is not an "easy on/easy off". The caches that are near major highway intersections, rest stops, tourist spots, etc will always see hug numbers of travelers pass through. Many of the hotels I've visited always seem to be empty.

"The Sands of Waikiki" had over 600 "Found Its" (and loads of repeat visitors), and 600+ travelers pass through it! Why? Not because it was a "hotel" but because it was convenient and easy. Anyone who went to Oahu went to Waikiki, and how nature to sit down on the beach and nonchalantly grab the cache.

It seems to me that the designation of "TB Hotel" should be something earned (as in the examples cited above), rather than wishfully bestowed by the cache owner. Too bad this isn't the way it is.

Does anyone know of a good way to locate TB prisons? That might be a new game :) "Liberate the TB Prisons"...

I did a keyword search for "hotel" and came up with tons of them. Here are some fo the ones that clearly state that you must leave a bug to take a bug are below ( with the state in brackets just in case there are prisons near you)

I took it a step farther and put a bookmark list together like Criminal used to have a TB prisons nearby my home. I also have one for actual hotels. At first it was just for me (I have many different bookmark lists for different things) however I decided to share it at the request of a few individuals I had mentioned it to at an event.

As you can see from the comments, it appears those of us that believe TB's are made to move, not trade, are in the minority.

It has however caused a handful of caches to change their rules.

Edit: Just saw the post above this one. I think that this is the list I am reffering.

Edited by baloo&bd

I guess my next question would be, don't travel bug cache's have to go through a reviewer? And if so, why don't the reviewers point out that their requests violate the rules?????

They're not so much rules as guidelines.... :)

Seriously, there aren't formal rules, and cache owners can always change the cache pages post-publication.

I guess my next question would be, don't travel bug cache's have to go through a reviewer? And if so, why don't the reviewers point out that their requests violate the rules?????

The "rules" for travel bugs are informal, and are distinct from the listing guidelines that reviewers use when looking over new cache submissions.

The only relevant guideline for a travel bug hotel with restrictive trading rules is the "Additional Logging Requirements" guideline. I ask the owner if they would delete a "found it" log if someone came and took every trackable in the cache without leaving any trackables. If the answer is "yes" then the cache cannot be listed as a traditional cache. It must be listed as a mystery/unknown cache, and if the owner is willing to do that, then they are free to delete non-conforming finds. If the answer is "no," then there isn't much I can do apart from education and encouragement.

Not all reviewers follow the same procedure, so your mileage may vary. Also, the guideline on this point did not get added until February 2007 so it only applies to travel bug prisons hidden after that date.