Palm Z22

Mapachi

The Z22 can be more difficult to see in bright sunlight, so if you don't already own a Z22, getting a less-expensive Palm m500 on eBay might be a better choice.

Cachemate works great on Palm PDAs, and there is also a version for the PPC.

I broke my Palm so I "borrowed" my wife's Z22. :D Anyhow, you have to read it before you get out of the car because it is almost impossible to read outside on a sunny day. If you are going to use your Palm for other stuff it is nice to have color. For example, I don't like playing solotaire in black and white. So if you get a Z22. it is nice and small but you have to use it in shade for caching. Edited by TrailGators

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way a PDA is going to be beneficial to me is if I become a Premium Member so I can get the .gpx files, right? I'm just trying to clarify this all for myself, and allocate my money where needed. :grin:

So...

1. Get Premium Membership
  2. Get PDA
  3. Download .gpx files to PDA, download .gpx files to GPSr
  4. Let the hunt begin!

That's about it, right?

Fixed . . . You send the .gpx files to the GPSr also, that way you can even get the Hint, if you want it, if your GPSr has a Comments field. Also, you will be sending .pdb files to the PDA, if you are using a Palm.

• Premium Membership -- $3.00 per month . . . or $30.00 for an entire year. :)

• Palm m500 -- $30.00 on eBay

• GSAK and Cachemate programs for PC and Palm (free to use, but with nominal fees for registration).

• Ability to have all the information for the hundreds of caches in your GPS unit on your PDA -- Priceless . . . B)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way a PDA is going to be beneficial to me is if I become a Premium Member so I can get the .gpx files, right? I'm just trying to clarify this all for myself, and allocate my money where needed. :grin:

So...

1. Get Premium Membership
  2. Get PDA
  3. Choose software for use on Palm e.g Cachemate or Spinner/Plucker
  4. Download .gpx files to PDA, download .GPX files to GPSr
  5. Let the hunt begin!

That's about it, right?

Better

It can be impossible to see in the bright sunlite . We had to give up looking for a cache on a mountainside in the direct sun (Maui) because we couldn't see the Cachemate info on the Z22 screen, and it wasn't Cachmate's fault. There was no natural shade around and I couldn't improvise satisfactory shade with what I had. Better to use an older PDA with a B&W screen.

Just got a Z22 today. Brain is tired. installing/setting up/messing with;

Palm Z22, Cachemate, GSAK, Pocket Queries.

Actually, it was all pretty easy. just takes some time to make sure all the exports/imports are pointed the right way and in the right formats.

I'm running Palm Tungsten E2 with Cachemate plus GSAK on the desktop. Initially had some pdb export issues with GSAK but those magically fixed themselves. I believe you can run GSAK free for about 2 weeks until you get a major nag screen. Pay $18 to unlock and you're set.

When downloading Pocket Queries make sure to not limit your search area or you will come up empty. Use filters on GSAK to cut out the stuff you don't want to hunt.

Have fun!