guardrails

Puppy Dawg

Some common methods in my area:

Magnetic keyholder stuck anywhere on the guardrail.

small/micro container stuck in the little hidey hole in the end of the guardrail.

a fake bees nest, magnetized with a breath strips container and log glued to the back.

a fake rock on the ground near the guardrail.

various reflector hides. Some are just flat reflectors where the reflecting material snaps out and the log is behind it. Others are breath savers sized containers that look like a reflector but are hollow inside.

fake nuts/bolts. I've seen many different types of these. Some are done so well they really look like a regular bolt on a guardrail. Others are quite obvious when you notice something like 2 nuts on a bolt.

A knot in a wooden guardrail post that is carved out and replaced with disguised micro that looks like the original knot, and is still flush with the post's edge.

For the sake of the people that are about to pounce on your post, I'm sure that you are referring to a loose or 'floating' not.

I'm also sure that I'm going to pile up DNFs looking for your caches.

Edited by sbell111

A knot in a wooden guardrail post that is carved out and replaced with disguised micro that looks like the original knot, and is still flush with the post's edge.

For the sake of the people that are about to pounce on your post, I'm sure that you are referring to a loose or 'floating' not.

I was hoping that also except for the above highlighted word.....

Surely a big no-no - to deface public property in such a manner

I was assuming that he meant more like 'popped' out.

First, I do not have a cache like this. Second, it was just an idea. Third, of course "popped out," since a lot of wood has holes where knots once were. I was just describing a concept!

Thank you, sbell111, for assuming the best with the idea, rather than the worst. :grin:

I have no guardrail caches, but have found the following...

Coords for a multi written on paper and taped to the underside

Container in the v where rail meets ground

Magnetic to underside are behind post

Matchstick holder with magnet in cap stuck to underside hidden by curve

I have no problem with hiding in a guardrail, however I have passed on several because there was no parking nearby except the shoulder of a busy highway. Not a safe place, not considerate of other cachers or drivers. I cache for fun, not to tempt the fates.

The ends of guardrails seem to be popular hiding spots for caches. I have found many Altoids tins and keyhiders attached with magnets inside of the hollow "V" sections of these. Small Rubbermaid containers and short water bottles fit in here too. I put out a hide in a guardrail where the container is a widemouth water bottle. (It's translucent so the bomb squad won't have to come find it too.) It's been well received so far - plus, it holds trade goodies, geocoins, and small travel bugs.

I am assuming that "carved" means carved. Popped means popped. And nails means nails. And that making physical modifications to such structures not only reflects poorly upon this game, but also possibly violates guidelines, and is likely illegal.

However since it is geocaching related, it is excusable.

To the OP: Do-overs not allowed. :):o:)

Edited by Team Cotati
I am assuming that "carved" means carved. Popped means popped. And nails means nails. And that making physical modifications to such structures not only reflects poorly upon this game, but also possibly violates guidelines, and is likely illegal.

I'm assuming that either you didn't read post #15, or you are trolling, again.

So I guess you wouldn't approve of my method of hacksawing off one of the supports and replacing it with an ammo box.

Guard rail is desiged to save lives. Mucking with the Engineering of them can change that. I'd not go there on a rail.

The ends of guardrails seem to be popular hiding spots for caches....

That's the worst location for a cache on a guard rail. Rail collapses to slow the car at the ends. The design of newer rail curles up to avoid spearing the occupants with the rail However the car is slowing from a high speed to zero while that takes place. A stationary object outside of the rail can still hit the driver and cause injury.

Personally I'd not place a rail cache on anything resembling a highway. Instead I'd place one down the embankment or off a side road. In the urban world slow speeds and location can change the equation but I'd still pick another spot.

To the OP: Do-overs not allowed. :D:D:D

So I guess you wouldn't approve of my method of hacksawing off one of the supports and replacing it with an ammo box.

For you...............anything. Be my guest. :D:D:D

To the OP: Do-overs not allowed. :D:D:D

I'm assuming that either you didn't read post #15, or you are trolling, again.

I continue my quest against excuse making. :D:D:D

But you can probably think up a more cretive spot for cache.

Like a lot of ideas, they can be good. I've found a couple that were located at interesting bridges and brought you to a good viewing spot for them.

But guardrails for the sake of just putting a cache there, I agree. After all, we've all seen guardrails. They don't get terribly interesting. So if you're bringing me to a guardrail, please give me a good reason.

Edited by wandererrob

What is the 'pull out the nails and twist' method?

I think that nearly all of the guardrail caches that I've found landed in two catagories: magnetic or merely laying in the V where the end piece bolts on.

Well, this is what it is:

You first pull the nails from one of the parts of the nail. Then you twist the piece between the rail and the supporter (I think they put those there for caching in general :rolleyes: ) so the piece is on its side. The owner has hollowed out a knot that you can now see. There is the cache.