Karma or Coincidence?

Natureboy44

While I won't go into all the details, one of my dogs fell through the ice at Spruce Run Reservoir on Sunday and was trapped about 35 feet from the shore line. During the ordeal to save him, my wife who was otherwise alone, ran and found someone who called 911 and he later helped directed emergency personnel to the area where she was. My wife suffered hypothermia after breaking her way through the ice to save Finnegan, but due to the 911 call and emergency personel being directed to her general location, they soon received aid after getting out of the icy water. The man she found who made the call was the Geocacher "Mag-man." He was there to find one of my caches. The cache's name just hit me. Scary!

Check out the Jan 6 logs.

"..... for Life"

Edited by Natureboy44

While I won't go into all the details, one of my dogs fell through the ice at Spruce Run Reservoir on Sunday and was trapped about 35 feet from the shore line. During the ordeal to save him, my wife who was otherwise alone, ran and found someone who called 911 and he later helped directed emergency personnel to the area where she was. My wife suffered hypothermia after breaking her way through the ice to save Finnegan, but due to the 911 call and emergency personel being directed to her general location, they soon received aid after getting out of the icy water. The man she found who made the call was the Geocacher "Mag-man." He was there to find one of my caches. The cache's name just hit me. Scary!

"..... for Life"

I'm glad everyone ended up safe.

"..... for Life"

:anicute: What can I say but thank goodness your wife and dog are alright! :blink:

That's scary stuff.

I'm so glad all is ok!

As a Texan who has moved to Sweden, I refuse to go on the ice here, I don't care how many people say it's safe and spend hours at a time on it fishing and skating and stuff...no way! Falling into that frigid water is probably one of my greatest phobias!

Karma, coincidence, miracle? Who knows... just glad it all turned out in the end and grateful to the powers that be!

Naomi :anicute:

Go Mag-man - by the way - what was the cache's name? I know there was one out there that I wanted to do that's on my list but I thought you needed a boat or something to get to it? I don't think I would try the ice - I HATE the cold! This would be a good one to get into the newspapers since geocachers often get a lot of bad press (hiding bombs and such!). I'm glad everyone is alright.

Thanks all for your kind words. I wanted to add two comments to my first thoughts.

First, I recieved an e-mail from Mag-man that seemed to indicate he was questioning his decision to stay at the parking area to wait for emergency personal to arrive versus returning with my wife to where the dog was. He decision to stay at the parking area was an important one. If anyone has been to this area they would know it is is hundreds of acres of fields and woodlands and my wife could have been at numerous locations. She was at least a half a mile from the parking area and Mag-man's ability to direct the police/rangers toward the area where my wife was saved precious time in getting her the treatment she needed.

Second, relating to the karma/coincidence question, I did a few calculations about the chance of someone being there and looking for the cache when my wife was there. Based on when the cache was hidden, using 30 mins as the average time to find this easy cache, the number of logs for the cache, averaging for day light, etc, I calculated that there was no better than a 1-1.5% chance of a cacher being there the same time she was. Yes people other than cachers could have been there also, but I'm leaning toward karma given the caches name (..... for Life).

Oh yeah, Karma no doubt. when I saw the name of the cache that sealed the deal. But there have been other karma stories on these forums. How about the story of the dog rescue in Ramapo, the lady in NE who injured her ankle, brings a lump to the throat and tear to the eye when then turn out well.