Techie wizard question PDA and GPSMAP 60CS

Geo_cats

I just read of Wherigo and am intrigued. I don't have the money to buy a new expensive GPSr but I do own a Toshiba E755 PDA and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Can these be linked somehow or do I need to add a GPS card to the PDA? :anicute:

I asked this question 2 days ago, no one answered me, maybe you will have better luck.

simple answer: no ...

complex answer: IF your pda has a serialport on the connector, you could make a special cable to connect the PDA and GPS. There are however only a very few PDA's that still have a serial port onboard.

Even more complex: you can buy a serial to BT adaptor, allowing you to cable your GPS to the BT-adapter. After managing that you can connect the PDA and BT-GPS to get your position.

I just read of Wherigo and am intrigued. I don't have the money to buy a new expensive GPSr but I do own a Toshiba E755 PDA and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Can these be linked somehow or do I need to add a GPS card to the PDA? :D

I asked this question 2 days ago, no one answered me, maybe you will have better luck.

I was hoping to use GPSgate but no luck since the Wherigo-player only accepts bluetooth :D

I just read of Wherigo and am intrigued. I don't have the money to buy a new expensive GPSr but I do own a Toshiba E755 PDA and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Can these be linked somehow or do I need to add a GPS card to the PDA? :D

I was hoping to use GPSgate but no luck since the Wherigo-player only accepts bluetooth :D

and without knowing a good reason for that... it just sounds like a really stupid limitation. I have no problems connecting my old yellow eTrex to my old Palm with a cable... not that the player is ever gonna be a Palm app. :D

I really really want to try this... but I really really don't have the funds to buy a bunch of new equipment just to try it... specially since there is nothing wrong with the equipment I've got.

So the short answer to my question is no. :D So I need to get a GPS card for my E755. I tried looking around for what would work with it and there seem to be a number of GPS cards. Anyone know of one that is rated good?

I just read of Wherigo and am intrigued. I don't have the money to buy a new expensive GPSr but I do own a Toshiba E755 PDA and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Can these be linked somehow or do I need to add a GPS card to the PDA? B)

Two answers. Yes, you can connect your GPS to a PDA. One place to by cables is here.

No idea if it will work with Wherigo, you would have to play with it. If bluetooth is all that is needed, they same company also sells charger cables for many gps's that also includes bluetooth capabilities. I have on for my 60CS.

I was hoping to use GPSgate but no luck since the Wherigo-player only accepts bluetooth B)

and without knowing a good reason for that... it just sounds like a really stupid limitation.

I guess it would be stupid if it was true. The application actually looks at all the com ports and tries to find valid NMEA statements. Technically you can connect a serial cable to a PDA but you need the right cable usually provided by a 3rd party.

I was hoping to use GPSgate but no luck since the Wherigo-player only accepts bluetooth :)

and without knowing a good reason for that... it just sounds like a really stupid limitation.

I guess it would be stupid if it was true. The application actually looks at all the com ports and tries to find valid NMEA statements. Technically you can connect a serial cable to a PDA but you need the right cable usually provided by a 3rd party.

NMEA or Garmin? Do you have to have the 60 in NMEA mode rather than Garmin mode?