New Garmin 60csx - what else do I need?

We started out in October with an EtrexH but I keep getting frustrated when we stop and the compass keeps pointing different ways. It takes me ages to key in all of the co-ordinates we need.

I've ordered a Garmin 60csx which should be here by Thursday. I have seen the button to transfer cache information to garmin - how does that work? Does it transfer the clues etc too so I don't need to write anything down?

Will it have the cables I need or do I need to buy something extra? I have USB cables for my camera etc, are they the same?

Any advice on how to use it will be a great help

Thanks

Mum Skully

You lucky £$%£^£$%% !!! :anicute::blink:

If it's the same as the map 60c, which it probably is, then you should be able to connect to the pc using a standard usb a - usb b connector. ( the large usb into the computer and the small one into the gps)

Then the next thing I would do is become a premium member if you aren't already. Organise some PQ's which download the nearest 500 caches to where you live for instance and download a programme like easy gps.

This will take the PQ and transfer all the waypoints to you gps in about 10 seconds.

Extra individual ones take just a few seconds via clicking on that option on the cache page.

You will soon want a PDA to make the physical details so much easier.....

enjoy.

I have seen the button to transfer cache information to garmin - how does that work? Does it transfer the clues etc too so I don't need to write anything down?

Will it have the cables I need or do I need to buy something extra? I have USB cables for my camera etc, are they the same?

Connect the GPS to your PC with a USB cable, click the "send to GPS" button. This sends the coordinates (but NOT the description/hints/clues) to the GPS.

We started out in October with an EtrexH but I keep getting frustrated when we stop and the compass keeps pointing different ways. It takes me ages to key in all of the co-ordinates we need.

I've ordered a Garmin 60csx which should be here by Thursday. I have seen the button to transfer cache information to garmin - how does that work? Does it transfer the clues etc too so I don't need to write anything down?

Thanks

Mum Skully

You should download and install the Garmin Communicator plugin for the button on the cachepage to work.

Thanks

Mum Skully

You should download and install the Garmin Communicator plugin for the button on the cachepage to work.

And also for storing points of interest (cache co-ordinates) on the memory card instead of the GPS internal memory you'll need to download the "POI Loader" (free) from the Garmin site.

Does it transfer the clues etc too so I don't need to write anything down?

You can get the hints onto the GPS map60CSx by using the POI facility.

This does involve extra software however vis;

• GSAK
  • A GSAK Macro
  • Microsoft Excel
  • Garmin POI Loader

And a suitable microSD Card.

You can then use the (500 waypoint capacity) for normal navigation.

If you need to use the hint switch to the Custom POI (10000 "waypoint"** capacity) facility.

**long hints will be split over several waypont units.

Though it falls short of having all the cache information on printed sheet or PDA it is quite convenient that it is available in a single waterproof unit.

Suggest you start with the normal Waypoint downloads, then over time investigate the more technical methods you will find a wealth of information on the associated forums of GSAK and Garmin.

Good Luck with the technology and cache finds.

Lovely! Thanks for your help.

I have a mac not a pc and found a programme last night from www.maccaching.com which looks like itunes interface, it apparently allows me to use my ipod for the cache info. I do have an office programme on my phone (Nokia N95) that may do for the info also. I didn't buy a map for the Garmin as I have sat nav in the car already but may buy one later when I have a bit more spending money.

I have to admit that although I like gadgets I hate reading instruction books, I think this might have to be an exception!

We started out in October with an EtrexH but I keep getting frustrated when we stop and the compass keeps pointing different ways. It takes me ages to key in all of the co-ordinates we need............

Mum Skully

It would have been cheaper to buy a communication cable for the Etrex H. :anicute: That would have allowed you to download the waypoint co-ordinates in exactly the same way as the 60CSx.

As for the compass pointing different ways... I use a 60CSx but quite honestly, I very rarely have the electronic compass turned on for normal cache hunting. It only works correctly if you've 'calibrated' it (read the manual to see what I'm referring to) and only then if you're stationary and holding it perfectly horizontal. Whilst you're actually moving, I find that the compass arrow is a lot more stable with the electronic compass turned off. It also has an considerable impact on battery life, too.

As some previous posts have suggested.... It would be advisable to become a 'Premium' member and use the PQ facility to download cache information. Used in conjunction with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (usually known as GSAK) it's an awesome combination. As far as I'm aware, it's the only option that will allow you to download the decrypted hint (or at least the first part of it if it's a long one) to the 60. You might also consider one of Gamin's map software packages to make full use of the 60's full capability. I use the UK Topo maps. They're not perfect but they are the best you can get for that GPSr.

You will soon want a PDA to make the physical details so much easier.....

I have a 60csx which I :blink: but as you say I need a PDA for all the other stuff, hints, last logs etc. I use to be able to download the .prc files to my Nokia N95 but I they've stopped doing that as part of the PQ download and now I have to use reams of paper. Someone did tell me of something else to use but I couldn't get it to work!

If I get a PDA is it easy to get the cache details on to it?

Thanks in advance

TLHM

BTW. I bought the wife an iPhone for Xmas hoping that would help, it does a little, the screen is OK to read but with having big fingers typing in waypoints etc. is FRUSTRATING :anicute: plus depending on location connection to the web can be a little slow.

If I get a PDA is it easy to get the cache details on to it?

Yes. We use an old Palm M515 we got off eBay for £10 with a Proporta case that cost about £15.

From GSAK you 'export' the results of a database search (eg all caches within 15km of GCXYX) to the PALM desktop, press the 'Hotsync' button on the Palm cradle which sends it all to 'Cachemate' on the PDA and voila! Good to go!

Mike

You can get the hints onto the GPS map60CSx by using the POI facility.

This does involve extra software however vis;

• GSAK
  • A GSAK Macro
  • Microsoft Excel
  • Garmin POI Loader

I'm curious... Why do you need Excel?

dunno about anyone else, but I use Excel to crudley sort out child waypoints before inputting the data to POI edit.

I use GSAK to output the info and use python to seperate the child from the parent WP's and Excel just to cut and paste colums into a workable format POIEdit can understand. I am then left with a POI of child WP's I can load to my satnav, it's bloody useful for multis and parking spaces :anicute:

Ofcourse I am sure there's an easier way to do all this. I'd love to hear what others do and how they use Excel:)

While I am about it, I see Garmin have released a new range of GPSr 'colorado'. They have the clever function of loading waypoints wirelessly, but only from colorado devices. Surely this is stupidity, I think what we all need is a GPSr we can bluetooth waypoints to from our PPC or palm device. I know bluetooth is getting a bit long in the tooth lol, but it's still widely used and would persuade me to part with a wad of cache anyday. I can't imagine why Garmin haven't pursued my far superior idea. hehe

I use this macro from ProsperoDK which export all caches to Garmin POI files, one file for each cache- and child-type.

I'm confused now :anicute:

A child waypoints .gpx file comes with the PQ which can be loaded to the GPS via the Mapsource software, is this what we're talking about here.....getting child waypoints on to a GPS or something else?

I think I took it slightly off topic re child waypoints. Yes I know the childwaypoints is an extra file sent with the PQ, but older pages don't have that newish feature and so require a little more tweaking.

Thanks, now I think it's back to New Garmin 60csx - what else do I need? :blink:

Still abit confused! seems an awful lot of effort.

I use this macro from ProsperoDK which export all caches to Garmin POI files, one file for each cache- and child-type.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3172&st=0

Added Excel in as the ProsperoDk system as running on my computer generates excel file types.

Perhaps you don't actually need Excel per say for the Macro/POI interaction.

Thank you for all of your replies although I am now totally baffled by the programmes available. I have downloaded from www.maccaching.com, hopefully that is all I will need.

I acquired an iphone yesterday, bought for my husband's Christmas present but woefully inadequate as a business device, it's not a phone with an ipod but an ipod with a phone facility, he has found it sadly lacking and has gone back to his Nokia and a PDA. His loss is my gain so I can take it with me and use it for paperless caching, the screen is fab for google maps and I can enlarge the text for my poor old eyes.

My new Garmin should be here today, it is torrential rain at the moment, at this rate I'll be out caching with Noah this afternoon.