Best Geocaching Programs

Okay. So, my girlfriend and I are really getting into this Geocaching business. It's fun...it gets us out of the house...it gets us working together...etc. But me being the technologically advanced one (between the two of us) have to have everything nice, neat and organized. I'm using a combination of Windows XP and Mac OS.X (10.5). I don't mind spending a few bucks for a good program. I kind of have to lean more towards the XP side because my eTrex Legend is Windows compatible. I am asking for all input, advice, suggestions, recommendations, etc. Thanks

Well I am pretty new to geocaching, but I was recommended GSAK, which you can get from GSAK.NET, It is a good program to load everything on my Garmin Legend and the pocket queries on my Palm m515. Also if you decide to use a PDA to go paperless, I would recommend Cachemate, it is an awesome program to use to read descriptions about the caches and lets you check the ones you have found.

Hopefully I was of some assistance, like I said I am pretty new, so maybe others will have bettter suggestions

Welcome to the Forums! :(

First you will want to become a Premium Member so you have access to the .gpx files individually from the cache pages, but also from Pocket Queries. ;)

Then, I highly recommend GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to handle the PQ data. If you have a PDA, Cachemate is a great program. I've used it on my Palm m500 for going on three years now. From GSAK you can send the waypoints to your GPSr, and Export in the correct format for your PDA, your mapping programs, and Google Earth.

I personally use a Macintosh all the time as my main computer. So I'm going to recommend GeoJournal. Its a really really nice program for the Mac. Also people one the forums have mention MacCaching as another good Mac geocache program. Personally I've only used GeoJournal and absolutely love it

GeoJournal - http://www.geoingenuity.com/main/

MacCaching - http://www.maccaching.com/

I personally use a Macintosh all the time as my main computer. So I'm going to recommend GeoJournal. Its a really really nice program for the Mac. Also people one the forums have mention MacCaching as another good Mac geocache program. Personally I've only used GeoJournal and absolutely love it

GeoJournal - http://www.geoingenuity.com/main/

MacCaching - http://www.maccaching.com/

ditto

Geojournal has problems with Leopard, the database gets corrupt then your out of luck, had the problem myself and there are some posts on the web about it also. So far maccaching is working fine.

A November 11 release of GeoJournal supposedly has fixes for use in Leopard. I don't know if you're talking about the version of GJ before or after this release; just thought I'd throw it out there.

Buy GSAK! I've been using it for a year now and I have yet to master it.

Do you have the mono-chorme Legend? Or C or Cx or HCx?

If you have an "x" model, get the free POILoader from garmin and check out the thread named something like Silly POI Tricks. It downloads customized POIs into your GPS. This and GSAK work great together to customized the info attached to each POI. Also helps going paperless.

MapSource also comes in handy.

Google Earth. It's a free aerial map program, but you have to be connected to the net. If you use MapSource, it will interface with G-E by transferring all your waypoints into G-E. This is very useful for the hiking-to caches so you can locate trails and and likely parking spots.

Last but not least, GPS Visualizer. I use it primarily to convert the tracks I make in G-E into MapSource tracks which I can then download into my Vista HCx.

If you have a Palm PDA, cachers like Cachemate. I have a Pocket PC and use GPSView. I used to use GPXSonar but it does not work well with Windows Mobile 6. Cachemate is also available but it's not free. GPSView is free and does exactly what I need. But now that I use customized POIs in my GPS, I rarely resort to the PDA.

Buy GSAK! I've been using it for a year now and I have yet to master it.

Do you have the mono-chorme Legend? Or C or Cx or HCx?

If you have an "x" model, get the free POILoader from garmin and check out the thread named something like Silly POI Tricks. It downloads customized POIs into your GPS. This and GSAK work great together to customized the info attached to each POI. Also helps going paperless.

MapSource also comes in handy.

Google Earth. It's a free aerial map program, but you have to be connected to the net. If you use MapSource, it will interface with G-E by transferring all your waypoints into G-E. This is very useful for the hiking-to caches so you can locate trails and and likely parking spots.

Last but not least, GPS Visualizer. I use it primarily to convert the tracks I make in G-E into MapSource tracks which I can then download into my Vista HCx.

If you have a Palm PDA, cachers like Cachemate. I have a Pocket PC and use GPSView. I used to use GPXSonar but it does not work well with Windows Mobile 6. Cachemate is also available but it's not free. GPSView is free and does exactly what I need. But now that I use customized POIs in my GPS, I rarely resort to the PDA.

GSAK.NET !!

Edited by kawikaturn

GSAK just released a new version that supports a macro which allows you to load all the cache pages info including hints and logs into the notes section of you IPOD! We tried it this weekend on a 13 cache day and it was great going paperless!!!!

We were trying CacheMagnet for the IPOD but I prefer the format from GSAK plus having everything in one program makes it easier to maintain and keep organized.

Edited by KJcachers