Strange way to handle TB's...

Sytar

I have been watching a TB that I sent out mid last year, one of our first, and it has done some good movement recently. However, it seems to have been placed in what I would call an Oubliette. No, not the cache (although I have found that one. <grin>), but a cache that is archived, and has been for a long time. This cache also appears to be holding about 20 other bugs... :(

I am not sure if this is a way for the person to store the bugs that he picks up, although the inventory seems to do that well enough, it has only been visited by the cacher, and one or two others. All seems strange to me, but I wanted to see what others had to say about this..

My TB is Augie's Dog Tag (TB1RM20), and the cache in question is Scooby's Private Trading Post! (GC14RDY).

Seems kind of strange to me. It looks as though they are using an archived cache to do some kind of private TB trading. Not totally sure.. People do strange things sometimes.

Yah, it also looks like one other person that "Visits" the cache does trade and drop off also. Maybe it is the same person, or husband/wife. But looking at the history, they have had a few times where they traded over 40 TBs at once? Goodness. Ok, going to an event, I can understand maybe getting a few, but that is a bit much for doing it over and over.

Or is this part of the TBs/Geocaching that I havnt' seen before?

wow i really dont understand what these people are doing, it seems there are about 4 users that collect TBs trade them between eachother and then do they release them or collect them? i mean how does someone with 400 finds have discovered over 1000 bugs? i mean i have 48 finds but only 6 TBs found! i really hope that they dont collect them! (although i always have a hard time giving them up, and do make special trips to caches around me to get them, but i would never keep them, its like stealing from the owner!)

I have been watching a TB that I sent out mid last year, one of our first, and it has done some good movement recently. However, it seems to have been placed in what I would call an Oubliette. No, not the cache (although I have found that one. <grin>), but a cache that is archived, and has been for a long time. This cache also appears to be holding about 20 other bugs... :anicute:

I am not sure if this is a way for the person to store the bugs that he picks up, although the inventory seems to do that well enough, it has only been visited by the cacher, and one or two others. All seems strange to me, but I wanted to see what others had to say about this..

My TB is Augie's Dog Tag (TB1RM20), and the cache in question is Scooby's Private Trading Post! (GC14RDY).

Recently (in the last 2 weeks) our TB "Ryleigh's Ladybug" was in Scooby's Private Trading Post! It was in and out in a day, then went to another "private" cache, and then onto an event.... I wouldn't worry about your TB it will get moved, I'm sure...

They are all trackable hounds and they use this cache as a convenient place to drop and retrieve trackables. This way some regular cache doesn't get inundated with the drop and retrieve logs.

They are all respectable cachers to the area :anicute: And mean no harm to the TBs and coins. The owners are way up there on some list that show the top 50? movers.

Recently (in the last 2 weeks) our TB "Ryleigh's Ladybug" was in Scooby's Private Trading Post! It was in and out in a day, then went to another "private" cache, and then onto an event.... I wouldn't worry about your TB it will get moved, I'm sure...

But if you think about it, it really isn't moving in the spirit of caching. It is just being handed off from person to person, never touching an actual cache.

It looks like my bug also went in and out in about a day, but that dosn't mean that it actually moved, or even left the hands of the original person. I read about people at events that just write down the TB number and log it, while they never really had it in the first place, they just saw it.

They are all respectable cachers to the area And mean no harm to the TBs and coins. The owners are way up there on some list that show the top 50? movers.

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but how is having a large number of bugs pass through your hands into a cache that dosn't really exist a mover? Top 50? What does that mean. If I wanted to get my caches found number up there, I could just start hitting every cache within 300 miles of me and get to a few thousand without ever leaving my desk.

I guess I just feel a bit jipped beacuase I wanted my bug to be a traveling bug, not a trading bug.

In the long run, they may have the best of intentions, but at this point it seems a bit strange.

Is it possible to request a change to the Geocaching site, that you are not able to place new trackables into an archived cache? Since the whole idea of an archived cache is that it is not suitable for use - basically not a cache.

But if you think about it, it really isn't moving in the spirit of caching. It is just being handed off from person to person, never touching an actual cache.

It looks like my bug also went in and out in about a day, but that dosn't mean that it actually moved, or even left the hands of the original person. I read about people at events that just write down the TB number and log it, while they never really had it in the first place, they just saw it.

They are all respectable cachers to the area And mean no harm to the TBs and coins. The owners are way up there on some list that show the top 50? movers.

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but how is having a large number of bugs pass through your hands into a cache that dosn't really exist a mover? Top 50? What does that mean. If I wanted to get my caches found number up there, I could just start hitting every cache within 300 miles of me and get to a few thousand without ever leaving my desk.

I guess I just feel a bit jipped beacuase I wanted my bug to be a traveling bug, not a trading bug.

In the long run, they may have the best of intentions, but at this point it seems a bit strange.

Is it possible to request a change to the Geocaching site, that you are not able to place new trackables into an archived cache? Since the whole idea of an archived cache is that it is not suitable for use - basically not a cache.

The trackables don't stay in their posession for a long time and they always end up being moved into other caches in a timely manner. Ultimately I think these folks are helping a lot of trackables move that might otherwise end up sitting in a single cache for a much longer period of time. And as fairyhoney pointed out they are very respectable, well known, well liked cachers.

This is just another way for people to play the game. Not everyone likes trackables and not everyone likes micros, multis, LPCs, long hikes, etc, but they are all parts of the game that appeal to different cachers.

I would much rather they use their own cache, active or archived, to be logging all of this activity than use one of my caches and then I have to deal with all of the email.

All of the bugs in that cache were passed on to other cachers on 1/7/08. It does seem to be an odd way to move bugs. Not the natural movement you would expect from a TB, but everyone plays the game in their own way. As long as the bugs aren't taken way out of the way of their goal, or is held for too long waiting on the trade, there shouldn't be a problem.

It's not my cup of tea, but some people drink coffee, go figure. At least they have been moved on.

All of the bugs in that cache were passed on to other cachers on 1/7/08. It does seem to be an odd way to move bugs. Not the natural movement you would expect from a TB, but everyone plays the game in their own way. As long as the bugs aren't taken way out of the way of their goal, or is held for too long waiting on the trade, there shouldn't be a problem.

It's not my cup of tea, but some people drink coffee, go figure. At least they have been moved on.

ayep.

I emailed them earlier and asked about the cache, and it was as you described, a place for them to log stuff for when they do trading.

It appears that they have all moved on and been swapped with others. I guess overall, this is not a bad thing, I just got a bit concerned seeing that it was placed in something that others couldn't get to.

:D I guess I am glad to see it moving, and not MIA.

There are some cachers who do "trade" But the trackables do move on. Sometimes, if one reads the log, you May see a note in the cache log as to " trackables are not actually in this cache" which will get erased after all the affected travelers are logged completely out. And this is so they get the mileage they deserve instead of just using the "grab" option. It's a method that apparently works for some :)

I have been watching a TB that I sent out mid last year, one of our first, and it has done some good movement recently. However, it seems to have been placed in what I would call an Oubliette. No, not the cache (although I have found that one. <grin>), but a cache that is archived, and has been for a long time. This cache also appears to be holding about 20 other bugs... :o

Once again, something for everyone...

I've seen some of my friends do this, and usally what they are doing is moving them out of the inventory while they are continuing to hold the bug until they go caching again or go to the next event and trade bugs with another cacher. My friends that do this have a lot of personal bugs as well, or geocoins collections, that they let "rest" in the archived caches so that they don't have tons of bugs on their inventory when they go to do a log and have to wade through it all.

What is the difference between trading trackables this way and trading them in and out of an active cache?

A public cache allows just about anyone to retrieve them.

Don't get me wrong as long as the bugs move within a reasonable amount of time I don't see much difference between this and simply passing the bugs around hand to hand.

I personally just wouldn't put this much effort in having one person in a group collect a bug and then have everybody take a drag off of it. There's a difference between logging a bug and..ahem...logging a bug.

What is the difference between trading trackables this way and trading them in and out of an active cache?

A public cache allows just about anyone to retrieve them.

Don't get me wrong as long as the bugs move within a reasonable amount of time I don't see much difference between this and simply passing the bugs around hand to hand.

I personally just wouldn't put this much effort in having one person in a group collect a bug and then have everybody take a drag off of it. There's a difference between logging a bug and..ahem...logging a bug.

These trackables all change hands and are moved by the cachers. They aren't just swapping codes. Hey, they just like trackables and they have a great time finding them and moving them around. It's a part of the way they play the game.

And as someone else mentioned, just because they are listed in a cache doesn't mean they are there for more than a moment (or at all) before they are pulled out by the other cacher. They use the drop and retrieve method instead of the "grab" method. In my mind it is a case of no harm, no foul.

They are all trackable hounds and they use this cache as a convenient place to drop and retrieve trackables. This way some regular cache doesn't get inundated with the drop and retrieve logs.

This is the impression I got, and with the volume they appear to be handling, it both makes sense and is considerate. I found no Tb that was hung onto for an inordinate amount of time, everything seems to move quickly. Unusual, yes. But like Eartha pointed out, everyone plays a little differently. As long as the bugs don't sit, this looks OK.

As far as the idea that "Doing this adds false mileage to the bug history", I actually think dropping them in the archived caches more accurately reflects their history. I say this because the people I know that do this drop them in archived caches that are very close to their houses. Most bugs actually travel more than the map shows, right, because they go home with you, then they go back out into the world. So these drops show the drop at "home base" and then are pulled back out when they go back out into the wild. Sure, it would be best to drop a line to the TB owner to let them know what is going on if they are being held in there longer than the accepted period, but most of the time they are not. The only people I know that do this are caching or going to events a LOT and bugs move freely and quickly through their hands.

As far as the idea that "Doing this adds false mileage to the bug history", I actually think dropping them in the archived caches more accurately reflects their history. I say this because the people I know that do this drop them in archived caches that are very close to their houses. Most bugs actually travel more than the map shows, right, because they go home with you, then they go back out into the world. So these drops show the drop at "home base" and then are pulled back out when they go back out into the wild. Sure, it would be best to drop a line to the TB owner to let them know what is going on if they are being held in there longer than the accepted period, but most of the time they are not. The only people I know that do this are caching or going to events a LOT and bugs move freely and quickly through their hands.

Dropping bugs into a cache that it never visited is virtual logging. Not a good idea.

Nor is it caching.

Dropping bugs into a cache that it never visited is virtual logging. Not a good idea.

Nor is it caching.

You don't know (nor do I) if those bugs were placed in the cache and then retrieved by the next cacher. That cache could be in the cache owner's front yard, back yard, or the neighborhood park.

I frequently trade trackables with other cachers who "drop" them into a nearby cache and I retrieve them as soon as they are dropped. If I attend an event cache and pick up trackables from a picnic table, they were never really in a cache. What is the difference?

By stating "nor is it caching" you are joining the ranks of the cache police who (attempt to) impose their own set(s) of values on other cachers as to how they should (be allowed to) play the game. The trackables move from one cache to another and from one cacher to another. Where is the problem? A trackable physically moves from the control of one cacher to another. How is that virtual logging? How is that not caching? Does every trackable found or discovered by a cacher need to be at a cache he or she has never found before?

Once again, this isn't a situation where people are passing around lists of tracking numbers. The trackables are moving from one cacher to another. Then they move on to other caches and continue their journeys.

I tend to agree that this may more acurately reflect the actual travels of a Bug. I may carry a Bug for ten thousand miles in my Truck before I drop it into a cache very near where I found it.