Garmin "Bobcat"

Vaucluse

Concerning on the new entry about Garmin Mac Products in Garmin Blog ( http://garmin.blogs.com/ ):

Any idea what this codenamed product "Bobcat" could be ?

Do you have a link to a particular post? Searching that blog for "bobcat" returns 0 hits.

Scroll down to "Chet's Corner: It's Finally About Time for Macworld!" He mentions Bobcat, but that's it.

I'm guessing real Mac/Garmin compatibility software. finally...

...guessing real Mac/Garmin compatibility software. finally...
I gave up on that wish (from Garmin, Lowrance, and Magellan) some time ago. I use Google Earth and GPSBabel for tracks, routes, and waypoint management on my computer.

As for detailed maps on the handheld itself, I've found that loading them up ONE time is all I needed. For my money (and I know this wouldn't suit everyone) would be a unit that takes a microSD (like the Legend HCX) and buying the detailed maps already loaded on a card. The preloaded cards for City Navigator NT are now priced within a dollar of buying it on disk, like this:

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSour...itynavnt.jsp#cd

So I don't need (or even WANT) to load Garmin's software on the computer.

Now, back to the "Bobcat" question: I expect it WILL be a Mac port of their existing mapping products. But I would really be happy if it were a bluetooth GPS unit with Mac and iPhone software bundle.

Edited by lee_rimar

Now, back to the "Bobcat" question: I expect it WILL be a Mac port of their existing mapping products. But I would really be happy if it were a bluetooth GPS unit with Mac and iPhone software bundle.

The Bluetooth as is in the iphone/touch is gutted to the point that Apple would have to re-implement it,

Sorry to say!

Norm

Chet updated his blog. It now reads:

"Let's just say that we have a new software product codenamed "Bobcat" that we will be showing and I think you're going to like it. "

It used to read (from the Google cache):

"Let's just say that we have a new product codenamed "Bobcat" that we will be showing and I think you're going to like it. "

Seems pretty likely that it is the OS X Mapsource product.

-Tony

Judging by their last attempt at a Macintosh solution, I'd say that "bobcat" is a Commodore 64 program on a 7.5 floppy disk that you have to run and generate maps and waypoints. Then you have to transfer that to an AT using a special conversion application and use DOS to set it up for transfer to a PC running Windows Vista with a special dongle attached. After running a special Vista widget... er... I mean gadget, you will be able to convert it to a Macintosh running only OS 10.5.2 or later.

Parsa

Judging by their last attempt at a Macintosh solution, I'd say that "bobcat" is a Commodore 64 program on a 7.5 floppy disk that you have to run and generate maps and waypoints. Then you have to transfer that to an AT using a special conversion application and use DOS to set it up for transfer to a PC running Windows Vista with a special dongle attached. After running a special Vista widget... er... I mean gadget, you will be able to convert it to a Macintosh running only OS 10.5.2 or later.

Parsa

Correction : Not Commodore, . . . LESA

Tongue firmly planted in cheek!

;^)

I suspect that Apple was changing at a rate that it took Garmins' coders a bit longer than anybody

wanted, to catch up, the closer they get the faster seems their gain. I'm hoping good will come of

"Bobcat", and wish for a successful implementation (even not knowing exactly what it is). There's a

major market waiting to be tapped. Don't forget Nat. Geo.s relationship with Magellan isn't exclusive,

other hardware manufacturers can 'wheel & deal' in that same arena.

Parsa

Make fun all you want. I'm really hoping it's the Newton compatible GPS module that I've been waiting for. :D

Make fun all you want. I'm really hoping it's the Newton compatible GPS module that I've been waiting for. :D

I can't disagree w/that, I'm sorry that the Newton died, a new one would rule, but that'll never happen.

Even the iphone won't do much along those lines. Maybe someday, but that'll be later than sooner.

Norm

Except for the C64 & DOS parts, I'm afraid you've pretty much got this right. Looks great for Mac users who also own a PC. Edited by lee_rimar

Bobcat is a BETA of Mapsource for Mac.

Much of the other Garmin Mac software was updated in December.

And they have a Mac OS X website now: link

It seems to me that Bobcat is not the beta for mapsource, but rather a more comprehensive utility app for waypoints, tracks and routes. The Bobcat page still talks about using MapConverter on a PC.

However, the Garmin Mac pages says "We're pleased to announce that Garmin will be releasing all of our new map products in native Mac format, starting with City Navigator North America 2008 and City Navigator Europe 2008."

Parsa

...Garmin Mac pages says "We're pleased to announce Garmin will be releasing all of our new map products in native Mac format ...
They've been saying basically the same thing for over a year, but always for some future, not yet released product.

Will believe when I see it.

Edited by lee_rimar

I was hoping Bobcat would read the maps from the Legend. That way I would download maps on a PC and upload on a Mac, thereby eliminating the need for map conversion. Oh well, Bobcat doesn't do that...

The maps take a one way trip, from MapInstall on a Mac or MapSource on a PC it's the same story.

Anyone Know how to transfer maps from bobcat to GPS? I am struggling to see the tool to select maps like in the PC version of Mapsource.

Yes, here is how to do it:

On the top of Bobcat, on the left side, next to where it shows your device, are two icons, either of which can be selected. They are labeled "Send" and "Receive." In the above case, simply select "Send."

Make sure that your GPSr is connected to the computer prior to starting up Bobcat.

Anyone Know how to transfer maps from bobcat to GPS? I am struggling to see the tool to select maps like in the PC version of Mapsource.

Yes, here is how to do it:

On the top of Bobcat, on the left side, next to where it shows your device, are two icons, either of which can be selected. They are labeled "Send" and "Receive." In the above case, simply select "Send."

Make sure that your GPSr is connected to the computer prior to starting up Bobcat.

Thanks for the reply. I saw those buttons, tried them and all that sent was the generic sample routes and waypoints that comes preinstalled when Bobcat installs. There is no option to select the map and transfer that to the GPS. In the PC version, you can select the map (turns pink) and then when you select send it gives a dialog box that shows maps selected and will be sent to GPS.

Am I missing the map select tool? I see my GPS, I have the map displayed on the screen but from there I don't see the way to transfer it. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Actually Bobcat does not send Maps.

You need to use Garmin MapInstall for that.

However before you can do that you must use MapManager to install the maps on your mac.

However before MapManager can work you must use MapConverter on a PC to convert the PC fprmat maps to MAC format.

However before that you must ust Garmin's DVD or CD to install the Maps on the PC.

Lengthy process and not without some hoops to traverse along the way.

Bobcat only sends waypoints, routes, and tracks.

Actually Bobcat does not send Maps.

You need to use Garmin MapInstall for that.

However before you can do that you must use MapManager to install the maps on your mac.

However before MapManager can work you must use MapConverter on a PC to convert the PC fprmat maps to MAC format.

However before that you must ust Garmin's DVD or CD to install the Maps on the PC.

Lengthy process and not without some hoops to traverse along the way.

Bobcat only sends waypoints, routes, and tracks.

Yes, I stand corrected.