George of the Jungle?

Cpt.Blackbeard

Ever had a day you should have just stayed home? I almost did this morning, it was pouring down rain and in my job that means very little work to do, but I don't want to use up all my vacation and sick days this early in the year so I headed off to work, still pretty dark but a little light, pouring down rain.

I round a curve on the narrow county road and there is a tree laying straight across the road. I hit the brakes, then the tree a moment later. The tree was just small enough to slide under the bumper and hit the tires, tree was knocked off the right side of the road, my truck off the left side, stopping a few feet short of a clump of sycamore trees. ;)

Right front tire was split wide open, big chunk of the aluminum rim missing, wheel bent into a hard left turn while left wheel was still aimed straight ahead. plus my heater core started leaking so there is unseen damage to be found. Bummer. :(

Good news is I was about 100 yards east of my sisters house so getting a ride home was easy, now I just have to figure out what to drive while I wait for my truck back. :D

At least it was a truck, a low clearance car would have been totaled but I have no noticable body damage.

Can't even go caching to unwind today, nothing to drive. :D

Glad you're OK. Hope your insurance company is good to you. Bad enough to experience an event like that; worse still if the insurance company drags its feet and gives you grief.

So far so good, I stopped by the repair shop at closing time, they're still dismantling it but they were up to $1300.00 so far and no deductible, woohoo!!! I only had about 8,000 miles on the tires so the new one won't be to far off tread wise, and they're using a used suspension to replace the old one but they'll install new ball joints and bushings. With luck I could have it back on Friday, double woohoo!!!! I miss my truck already, and I'll really miss the 4 wheel drive if it snowed. :(

Wish I had some pictures to post here though, maybe I can get a copy from the body shop later.

Even though only to people cared enough to reply, for which I thank them very much, I'll post the update that I finally got my truck back from the shop last night. It took them considerably more work than they first thought, as once they had it on the frame rack they discovered that the entire frame front to back looked like a roller coaster from the impact, so they had to gradually heat it and streatch it back straight again, and those 3/4 ton truck frames take alot of heating to get results.

Steering wheel seems to have alot more play in it than before, I'll drive it a few days but may have to have the steering box adjusted to take out some slop.

Just good to have it home again though, YeeHaw!

DCP_05691.jpg

Even though only to people cared enough to reply, for which I thank them very much, I'll post the update that I finally got my truck back from the shop last night. It took them considerably more work than they first thought, as once they had it on the frame rack they discovered that the entire frame front to back looked like a roller coaster from the impact, so they had to gradually heat it and streatch it back straight again, and those 3/4 ton truck frames take alot of heating to get results.

Steering wheel seems to have alot more play in it than before, I'll drive it a few days but may have to have the steering box adjusted to take out some slop.

Just good to have it home again though, YeeHaw!

DCP_05691.jpg

Looks nice and warm in Greencastle this time of year. :drama:

"A-Mass Towing. This is Torry. How can I help you?"

"You hit a tree? I'm sorry to hear that. Did you need a tow?"

"Yes. You were lucky to break down so close to your sister's house. How can I help you?"

"I'm sorry. I don't think geocaching.com will let you make that a benchmark. But, then, I'm scarcely an expert."

"Well. Good luck. Have a nice day."