Separate GPS and PPC

Rev Slippery

I have a HTC P4000 PPC and I have installed Wherigo, now can I connect my Magellan 500 to it via the usb? I am getting an error stating that no GPS device could be found NMEA-0183 protocol and to make sure they are paired via bluetooth. I have tried all the NMEA setting on the GPS with no luck so am I to assume it has to be a PPC with built in GPS?

Edited by Rev Slippery

I have never heard of a GPS that can connect directly to a Pocket PC with USB. I don't even know if the GPS or any Pocket PC devices have ever supported this.

The proven solutions involve either an attached GPS (via Compact Flash or SDIO) or a Bluetooth GPS (connected via, obviously, Bluetooth). Or as you indicated, an embedded GPS chip inside of a device.

so.. in the remote crazy chance that the player will ever be ported to the Palm OS, will that include support for a wired connection? My GPS and Palm communicate just fine via cable. That is unfortunate that a PPC can not do the same... and some people seem to think they are better? interesting.

With the various combinations of handhelds and GPS units I can't say that everything will work together well. So if we do have the Wherigo Player on Palm we'll try and support as many devices as we can.

Is there any projeck into the future for playing the Wherigo on diferent OS, for example as symbian or java aplication?

There's nothing "in the works" at the moment for either Symbian or Java though we have looked (and continue to look at) both OS'es. Since the Lua engine is not ported to Java we'd have to look hard at trying to find a way to implement it - whether via a wrapper or rewrite of the engine. We do want to make sure that our core technologies are rock solid before porting the code elsewhere.

Does a Garmin eTrex Legend Cx or Vista HCx support this, along with a PPC or Palm? I have a PPC (Pharos GPS 525) with built i GPS, but I think is only uses that for navigation through its city maps. If the Pharos GPS 525 (I have the player already installed) will work with its built in GPS, can someone please explain how to set that up? Looking at the other posts, it sounds like everyone is connecting their GPS from some COM port. All I know is that I have a separate eTrex GPS and a GPS built into a PPC (with Windows Mobile 5.0). Thank you!

Also, I was wondering if on the Wherigo website there will be a page that shows what updates you've made to each release of the player and builder. When I loaded the Jan 14 version, it seemed to have different problem than the Jan 4 version. (Although both related to finding the correct GPS "port", it seemed the Jan 4 version would be an easier problem to fix). I can't wait for all the bugs to be fixed and the program set up properly and a larger amount of cartridges made to start doing this for real! Maybe I'll take a bold leap and be the first to make a cartridge for my area! Thank you Groundspeak!

Also, I was wondering if on the Wherigo website there will be a page that shows what updates you've made to each release of the player and builder.

Yes, it's good to know what changes have been made.

According to the following post, you can see version changes in the Builder's readme file. Go to Program Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder and you'll see the readme file. The Jan. 15th update includes three fixes.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3259268

I have never heard of a GPS that can connect directly to a Pocket PC with USB. I don't even know if the GPS or any Pocket PC devices have ever supported this.

The proven solutions involve either an attached GPS (via Compact Flash or SDIO) or a Bluetooth GPS (connected via, obviously, Bluetooth). Or as you indicated, an embedded GPS chip inside of a device.

I just thought I'd chime in on this thread. My Palm m515 runs CacheMate wonderfully, with a cable attached to my eTrex. If Wherigo comes to Palm OS, my area is going to see a bunch of Wherigo's published by yours truely. I've published one so far, and have sort of "played" the other two in this area (I cheated ;) , using the emulator to "walk through" the cartriges, then made a guess on the coordinates of the final cache, which turned out to be close enough to find the container :) ). I've got one that I'm cooking up right now, but I need a player for my Palm OS in order to really test the cartrige when it's done.

Looking forward to Playing more Wherigo's.

Edited by JETSchmidt