Ah, Caches at Wallyworld

llatnek

and after this incedent with the bomb squad, Wal-Mart's legal department may be in touch with Groundspeak since the caches are on private property. Nothing lowers your daily sales totals like having the bomb squad close down the parking lot or makes customers uncomfortable about shopping there.

Right up the road from us... :) , we were not responsible for it... but its funny if you know some of the history of Geocaching with the local area and the paranoia that has surrounded it by miss-informed folks. We even temporarily faced a ban at one point from public parks because of the uninformed officials and press.

- always check with the property owners or manager.

and after this incedent with the bomb squad ....

"Preliminary reports indicated the package was a device used in a "geocaching" game often played by adults and Boy Scouts."

"Adults and Boy Scouts?"

Rick McDonald, Plano Police spokesperson said individuals playing the game will receive some kind of reward based on the amount of navigation systems they find.

"Receive a what based on the amount of what they find?"

Yup, that thar re-porter done did hisself some sho 'nuff bodacious research.

According to Officer David Tilley, Plano Police spokesperson, preliminary reports indicated the package was a device used in a “geocaching” game often played by adults and Boy Scouts.

Let's be fair to the reporter, it was what the police said. I think everyone spent about as much time on this story as appropriate, almost none lol

According to Officer David Tilley, Plano Police spokesperson, preliminary reports indicated the package was a device used in a “geocaching” game often played by adults and Boy Scouts.

Let's be fair to the reporter, it was what the police said. I think everyone spent about as much time on this story as appropriate, almost none lol

Yes, it is what the police said. But if the mission of the news is to inform the public, then the reporter did not do the job well :) . Now that Google is so everpresent, there is no forgiving not utilizing it. If you look up "GPS game" on google, geocaching.com comes up real quick and would give the reporter all that they need.

I work in news and this reporter would be flamed eternally if they have reports like this in their record :) .

EDIT: And even the website that the reporter cites in their article should have clarified things. It is the job of the reporter to hammer out the facts and statements they include. Basically in news we still tell you what we're going to tell you, tell you it, and then review what we told you (and/or give you a resource for more.) Just like in essays. It's the job of the reporter to clarify the subject.

On original topic: I have only found Altoid tins and match-holders at Wally World so far thank goodness!

Edited by scorpio_dark

Actually this is a good thing to add to the article. If Boy Scouts play the game, it MUST be harmless. Wally World wouldn't want to shut down an educational experience for Boy Scouts, would they? :)

Before everyone decides to burn the reporter in effigy you missed the next sentence which read:

According to GPSgames.org, “geocaching is a game in which players hide objects that other players use GPS receivers to find … Traditionally, the hidden object is a waterproof container with a log book and various inexpensive prizes. Finders are encouraged to take something, leave something, and sign the log.”

Sounds like an accurate description to me.

Your missing the main point here, Wal-Mart(commercial business) + private property x bomb squad = possible phone call from Wal-Mart legal department.

and after this incedent with the bomb squad ....

"Preliminary reports indicated the package was a device used in a "geocaching" game often played by adults and Boy Scouts."

"Adults and Boy Scouts?"

Rick McDonald, Plano Police spokesperson said individuals playing the game will receive some kind of reward based on the amount of navigation systems they find.

"Receive a what based on the amount of what they find?"

Yup, that thar re-porter done did hisself some sho 'nuff bodacious research.

Before everyone decides to burn the reporter in effigy you missed the next sentence which read:

According to GPSgames.org, “geocaching is a game in which players hide objects that other players use GPS receivers to find … Traditionally, the hidden object is a waterproof container with a log book and various inexpensive prizes. Finders are encouraged to take something, leave something, and sign the log.”

Sounds like an accurate description to me.

:):) Look again. That quote goes in between the other two sentences . . . The layman will become confused by the quote of the officer that is placed after to fairly well-done description. And as a former radio news anchor and a current photo journalist who also happens to like geocaching; I'd like to see the positive promotion of the hobby instead of the last words of an article making people think we be even weirder than we already be!

<EDIT: And I just looked at the byline. Two reporters did all that . . . (wow)>

Your missing the main point here, Wal-Mart(commercial business) + private property x bomb squad = possible phone call from Wal-Mart legal department.

Nope, didn't miss it. Just noted something else since the private property equation gets old after about 1000 discussions and stories about bomb squads . . . . .. :)Discussion board . . .

Edited by scorpio_dark
Actually this is a good thing to add to the article. If Boy Scouts play the game, it MUST be harmless. Wally World wouldn't want to shut down an educational experience for Boy Scouts, would they? :)
I think that's what most people will think.

This is an instance of a few people in the forums making a bigger deal out of it then the people in the real world are.

I've found a "Small" just outside the front doors of a Wal Mart. It is hidden on top of one of the concrete & steel posts that keep cars off the sidewalks, covered by a bright orange round-topped sleeve over the post. Check your local Wal Mart next time you are there, those plastic sleeves lift up!

BTW, "WALLY WORLD" to me, is Walt Disney World. I got excited when I saw the topic title. That's why I was reading the thread!

Edited by Gator Man

I've found a "Small" just outside the front doors of a Wal Mart. It is hidden on top of one of the concrete & steel posts that keep cars off the sidewalks, covered by a bright orange round-topped sleeve over the post. Check your local Wal Mart next time you are there, those plastic sleeves lift up!

History in the making! The first ever forum reference to PSMs (Plastic Sleeve Micros).

I'm going to find a spot now and pioneer the "Something Up My Sleeve" series.

:(

History in the making! The first ever forum reference to PSMs (Plastic Sleeve Micros).

When I worked for Wally World, we had enough trouble with those sleeves getting stolen that I think anyone lifting one for a cache would attract an undue amount of attention.

Not to mention the many discussions about hiding caches on a commercial property, including this current one, and if it is actually ok to do in the first place.

When I worked for Wally World, we had enough trouble with those sleeves getting stolen that I think anyone lifting one for a cache would attract an undue amount of attention.

Not to mention the many discussions about hiding caches on a commercial property, including this current one, and if it is actually ok to do in the first place.

It's okay, I was being facetious, though no one can blame you for thinking the idea was serious. Hopefully others will heed your warning.

:anicute:

It's okay, I was being facetious, though no one can blame you for thinking the idea was serious. Hopefully others will heed your warning.

Some years ago when I worked at's Sam's club, a co-worker hid his drug stash under one :blink: ! A Plastic sleeves cache would be fun if in was in a lesser traveled area like this particular one was.

Have four regular size caches at Wal-Mart, it took seven months to get the proper permission from them for placement but it was worth it for what they accomplished

From the cache pages:

With the new Supercenter in southeast Nashville will be getting there over a stream. The company ended up building six bridges instead of paving over a creek, part of a deal with local environmental authorities to develop the site on Nolensville Road south of Old Hickory Boulevard. "It's kind of unusual in a retail development that you'd have all this greenery and water through the middle of the site.

The company planted 250 trees left 12 acres undeveloped ans set aside a 5 acre conservation easement along the creek that could be used for a future public greenway. Although company officials described the new store as fitting into its “commitment to sustainability “ keeping with local environmentalists concerns. Not only does Whittemore Branch Creek run right through it, the creek is a tributary on Mill Creek, home to the endangered Nashville crayfish ( a shell fish )

They are not all drive by or micros at Wally Worlds

Joe

Have four regular size caches at Wal-Mart, it took seven months to get the proper permission from them for placement but it was worth it for what they accomplished

From the cache pages:

With the new Supercenter in southeast Nashville will be getting there over a stream. The company ended up building six bridges instead of paving over a creek, part of a deal with local environmental authorities to develop the site on Nolensville Road south of Old Hickory Boulevard. "It's kind of unusual in a retail development that you'd have all this greenery and water through the middle of the site.

The company planted 250 trees left 12 acres undeveloped ans set aside a 5 acre conservation easement along the creek that could be used for a future public greenway. Although company officials described the new store as fitting into its “commitment to sustainability “ keeping with local environmentalists concerns. Not only does Whittemore Branch Creek run right through it, the creek is a tributary on Mill Creek, home to the endangered Nashville crayfish ( a shell fish )

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

I'll have to remember your post the next time someone states that WalMart's policies would forbid any caches on their property.

From the cache pages:

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

I'll have to remember your post the next time someone states that WalMart's policies would forbid any caches on their property.

Joe can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm reading, the property in question was developed by Wal-Mart as a park. It is not a Wal-Mart parking lot. A parking lot was built with the intent to allow people to park. A park is built with the intent to be outside.

Your suggestion that this example shows that Wal-Mart will allow caches at their parking lots & retail establishments is a faulty argument.

From the cache pages:

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

Joe can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm reading, the property in question was developed by Wal-Mart as a park. It is not a Wal-Mart parking lot. A parking lot was built with the intent to allow people to park. A park is built with the intent to be outside.

Your suggestion that this example shows that Wal-Mart will allow caches at their parking lots & retail establishments is a faulty argument.

There is “NO” faulty argument, caches are allowed at Wal-Marts any where with permission "" Period ""

From the cache pages:

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

There is “NO” faulty argument, caches are allowed at Wal-Marts any where with permission "" Period ""

I have to agree with JoGPS on this one. Read it again carefully, Wal-Mart set aside 12 acres to be undeveloped and 5 acres as conservation easment. Thats 17 acres of property Wal-Mart owns, period.

Edited by magellan315

From the cache pages:

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

I have to agree with JoGPS on this one. Read it again carefully, Wal-Mart set aside 12 acres to be undeveloped and 5 acres as conservation easment. Thats 17 acres of property Wal-Mart owns, period.

I am not questioning the fact that Wal-Mart allowed caches to be placed on property they own and have set aside for recreation. I am stating that Wal-Mart would frown on a cache being placed in their parking lot, out back by their dumpster, or anywhere else on their property that they hadn't developed for recreation.

Trying to translate a park, developed for recreation, into a parking lot, developed so people can access the store, is a faulty argument.

:unsure:

Edited by Too Tall John

From the cache pages:

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

I am not questioning the fact that Wal-Mart allowed caches to be placed on property they own and have set aside for recreation. I am stating that Wal-Mart would frown on a cache being placed in their parking lot, out back by their dumpster, or anywhere else on their property that they hadn't developed for recreation.

Trying to translate a park, developed for recreation, into a parking lot, developed so people can access the store, is a faulty argument.

:)

are we having a hard time understanding, This has nothing to with a park, and there is no recreation area, the greenway is proposed, With permission you can place a cache any where at Wal-Mart "" Period "" and they may think by the dumpster is really cool, go "ASK FOR PERMISSION "

Just piping in because I am familiar with the caches and Wal-Mart JoGPS mentioned. A good portion of the "conservation area" is located in the midst of the parking lot. That is part of the cool thing about this Wal-Mart, they built bridges over the stream in their parking lot and have larger than usual green spaces, but it is still a part of the parking lot. I hope that Wal-Mart sticks with this new way of building, in this case they maintained the natural beauty of the area as best they could rather than just paving over it. I go out of my way to stop at this Wal-Mart now when I need something from there for two reasons. First I want to support this environmentally more responsible store and secondly, I spend my money with the location that has clearly stated that they welcome geocaching on their property. That said, I think the important issue here is that they have and will allow geocaching on their properties if you go through the proper channels to obtain permission.

Edited for appalling spelling and grammar.

Edited by Monkeybrad
With permission you can place a cache any where at Wal-Mart "" Period "" and they may think by the dumpster is really cool, go "ASK FOR PERMISSION "
What I've said all along is that you "" WON'T "" (what's up with the ""'s?) get permission from Wal-Mart to place a cache in their parking lot. This greenway, proposed or actual, is a special circumstance.
With permission you can place a cache any where at Wal-Mart "" Period "" and they may think by the dumpster is really cool, go "ASK FOR PERMISSION "
What I've said all along is that you "" WON'T "" (what's up with the ""'s?) get permission from Wal-Mart to place a cache in their parking lot. This greenway, proposed or actual, is a special circumstance.

This proposed greenway has to have permission of Wal-Mart when it becomes a actual greenway it will be by permit only from Metro Nashville Parks dept.

There is “NO” special circumstance you will have to ask permission from someone to place a cache at this Wal-Mart and should ask for any commercially owned property if you would like to think that its cool not to ask permission that is up to you and Groundspeak however I chose to ask permission

The reason for the BS is that you have no idea what you are talking about with this Wal-Mart, Don’t know what else to say so you can understand

Joe

This proposed greenway has to have permission of Wal-Mart when it becomes a actual greenway it will be by permit only from Metro Nashville Parks dept.

There is “NO” special circumstance you will have to ask permission from someone to place a cache at this Wal-Mart and should ask for any commercially owned property if you would like to think that its cool not to ask permission that is up to you and Groundspeak however I chose to ask permission

The reason for the BS is that you have no idea what you are talking about with this Wal-Mart, Don’t know what else to say so you can understand

Joe

All I'm saying is that, from 10 years of experience as a manager at Wal-Mart, I predict you will not get permission from a store manager following WM policies to place a cache in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

The special circumstance I talk about isn't about where you don't have to ask permission, it is a special circumstance that they allowed the cache.

I agree that permission should be sought after in any case like this. The fact that there are so many LPC's at Wal-Marts makes me think there are a whole lot of people "checking the box" w/out doing what it says.

Joe

All I'm saying is that, from 10 years of experience as a manager at Wal-Mart, I predict you will not get permission from a store manager following WM policies to place a cache in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

The special circumstance I talk about isn't about where you don't have to ask permission, it is a special circumstance that they allowed the cache.

I agree that permission should be sought after in any case like this. The fact that there are so many LPC's at Wal-Marts makes me think there are a whole lot of people "checking the box" w/out doing what it says.

So, your position now is that the managers that have given permission are not following policy. I think that it's convenient that you cover yourself both with this statement and your previous one that claimed that the policies exist, but that you aren't allowed to show them to anyone.

Shenanigans.

(BTW, you are misstating the permission guideline, again.)

Edited by sbell111
So, your position now is that the managers that have given permission are not following policy.
That has always been my position. So, your tactic now is to suggest that I am changing my position to discredit me? Sounds like a tactic to use when you can't win the debate on merit.
I think that it's convenient that you cover yourself both with this statement and your previous one that claimed that the policies exist, but that you aren't allowed to show them to anyone.
Believe me, if I still had the binder, I'd send you a copy of the pertinent policy in a heartbeat. Your response, of course would be "Anyone with a word processor could make this up." What you need to ask yourself is "Why would he bother to stick to his guns on this for so long if it wasn't true?"
Shenanigans.
Indeed. :)
(BTW, you are misstating the permission guideline, again.)
Oh wise one, please tell me what I've done wrong this time! :ph34r:

I just read a post by Alabama Rambler in another Thread where he states: Some situations should be obvious... the manager of your local Wal-Mart can't give you blanket permission to hide one at all Wal-Marts, but he can give you permission to hide one at his. I have gotten permission to hide a cache inside the quarter-operated rocking horse outside the doors of a Wal-Mart, and under a bench at another one. If you approach Wal-Mart Corporate, however, you will encounter layers of middle-management who can only say no.

Certainly sounds to me like you can get permission and Wal mart Corporate doesn't care unless you bug them about it.

I know if I owned a thousand stores I would expect the local managers to handle the little stuff like that in the way they felt best and not bother me with it.

I just read a post by Alabama Rambler in another Thread where he states: Some situations should be obvious... the manager of your local Wal-Mart can't give you blanket permission to hide one at all Wal-Marts, but he can give you permission to hide one at his. I have gotten permission to hide a cache inside the quarter-operated rocking horse outside the doors of a Wal-Mart, and under a bench at another one. If you approach Wal-Mart Corporate, however, you will encounter layers of middle-management who can only say no.

Certainly sounds to me like you can get permission and Wal mart Corporate doesn't care unless you bug them about it.

I know if I owned a thousand stores I would expect the local managers to handle the little stuff like that in the way they felt best and not bother me with it.

That would certainly be in line with WalMart's corporate policy regarding RVs. Local management clearly has been given the authority to handle these small issues in a way that they feel is appropriate. Certainly, it's possible that TTJ worked in the photo center of a WM who's manager didn't feel that any permission for non-shopping activities was allowable, but managers of other stores clearly disagree.