Deleting Discoveries on TB's

q22q17

Just curious on your thoughts here:

I know that the "Discovered It" option became vogue for the many folks who have large coin collections and want others to discover them and not have to go through the whole grab and drop thing.

But, now more and more cachers are discovering TB's instead of moving them. Some discover "just because" and others discover to pad their stats for some reason.

Recently, I saw a TB log sheet that said that discovery logs would be deleted because the purpose of the TB was to move it and not discover it.

I attended an event during the holidays where there was a list of the coins and bugs at the event, the list was shared so those who wanted to discover them could. Oy!

I just know that some of you have thoughts about this here...........

Because if I started deleting all the discovery logs on all my TB's as they come along........ I'd do nothing else!

I've never used the discover option because I'd rather move the bug, but I would also rather have someone discover one of my own bugs than just leave it and walk away. A lot of cachers don't move TBs, so at least with the discover option I know where it is. My bugs have a lot of fun at events, and reading all the discover logs, and seeing the pictures, is always entertaining. Some of my bugs spend a lot of time in the pub. I don't know why anyone would take the time to delete the discover logs.

When you're not moving a TB from the cache, a Discovery does more than a Note would do to tell the owner the bug is in fact not missing. It verifies that you are not lying about the bug not being missing.

I discover all the bugs my boyfriend grabs. They all get a ride in my caching bag to their next box in the woods, and any bugs in my bag can get pulled out at any given moment, lined up and shot.

With a camera, of course.

When I pull them out I have no idea if they're bugs in PKs possession or bugs in my possession (but frankly I don't think I should discriminate). Now if a bug owner had bitterly deleted the discover log b/c I was "shamefully taking credit for something where none was due," well that bitter TB owner would never get to have the photo added to his bugs page b/c I wouldn't be able to find the bug's page!! Having a nice little list is a real easy way to figure out which bug it was in the photo, and I already have a log on the buggers page to which I can upload the pictures, Simple!

Are these discoveries really that irritating?

I know that the "Discovered It" option became vogue for the many folks who have large coin collections and want others to discover them and not have to go through the whole grab and drop thing.

But, now more and more cachers are discovering TB's instead of moving them. Some discover "just because" and others discover to pad their stats for some reason.

Recently, I saw a TB log sheet that said that discovery logs would be deleted because the purpose of the TB was to move it and not discover it.

I attended an event during the holidays where there was a list of the coins and bugs at the event, the list was shared so those who wanted to discover them could. Oy!

Because if I started deleting all the discovery logs on all my TB's as they come along........ I'd do nothing else!

Too funny. Usually I see posts about TB owners complaining that people are moving their TB in directions opposite to the TB's goal. Now there is a TB owner complaining about "discoveries". I think some of these TB owners are just taking the whole thing way too seriously.

I guess I could understand how a TB owner might get annoyed if a lot of the "discoveries" were not real (i.e., the person just obtained a list of TB numbers and never even saw the actual traveler).

And I don't see how logging a Discovery is "padding stats". I look at it as a record of an event. If I find a TB in a cache but cannot help that TB toward its goal, and can only take it farther from its goal, why shouldn't I "discover" it? I don't see how this hurts anyone or "pads my stats" anymore than if I moved the TB.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I move a fair number of travel bugs and coins, but I also will "discover" them if I know I won't be able to move them along soon, or help them with their mission. In my opinion I am doing the owner a favor by letting them know their trackable is in the cache and is ok. Why should I be penalized for that? I would be pretty unhappy if one of my logs was deleted because the owner doesn't like discover logs. If they don't like it they can take that issue up with TPTB. A legitimate log or note really shouldn't ever be deleted from a trackable page or from a cache page.

Would it be better if I grabbed the trackable and then let it sit in my geobag for weeks because I didn't have a chance to move it to a new cache? I try not to let that happen, but it certainly could.

I have also been known to revisit a cache I have already found, and retrieve trackables I have already found, just because they had been sitting in one place for several weeks or months. I like helping them move along if I can.

I have a few trackables and enjoy watching them move. I have never given those discover logs a second thought. A bunch of logs from an event just means I have a few more emails to read and delete. It sure doesn't bother me in any way.

I just don't see how a discover log could make anyone feel like they should be deleting someone els'e caching history.

Too funny. Usually I see posts about TB owners complaining that people are moving their TB in directions opposite to the TB's goal. Now there is a TB owner complaining about "discoveries". I think some of these TB owners are just taking the whole thing way too seriously.

I hope you don't think I was complaining, I was just musing, and posting here for other thoughts.

Some TB owners do take things too seriously. I don't. I just am delighted when my TB's move, even if it is in the OPPOSITE direction of its goal. I just love seeing where people live, cache, pets, and life in general.

I only object to "Discoveries" if they happen to coins or bugs that could not possible have been actually seen by someone. For example: one of my coins was "discovered" at an event in Europe. Only problem being that said coin was sitting in a binder in my house & has never been to Europe. I e-mailed the discoverer & they agreed to delete the log. Problem solved. :)

CF30

I hope you don't think I was complaining, I was just musing, and posting here for other thoughts.

I hear ya.

I've never bought into this 'I'm letting the owner know the bug is still there' baloney.

In my opinion, I do believe that people are honestly thinking they are doing just that, however remove the Discover option and you'd be hard pressed to ever see someone posting a note just to let some bug owner know that they didn't take their bug.

I would rather see people simply be honest for why they Discover a bug or coin. "I wanted to show that I found this traveler." or "I wanted the stat and/or the icon." (or all three)

Those are the things I would believe.

ThirstyMick does handle travel bugs in a way that the majority of owners would want their bug to be handled. Her logs are for the enjoyment of both the finder and the one who released it. That being, take pictures, tell stories, and have fun. The Discover option takes second place in that situation. I think if there was no Discover she’d still log it. Unfortunately she’s the exception.

So, are you adding anything by Discovering a bug? I had a bug sit in a cache in downtown Minneapolis for four months. I had no reason to believe the bug wasn’t there (considering all the Discover logs). I finally had to have a local cacher pull it for me. Given a choice I would rather have Wrastro hold my bug for a few weeks than go through that situation again.

edit: then/than

Edited by BlueDeuce

And I don't see how logging a Discovery is "padding stats". I look at it as a record of an event. If I find a TB in a cache but cannot help that TB toward its goal, and can only take it farther from its goal, why shouldn't I "discover" it? I don't see how this hurts anyone or "pads my stats" anymore than if I moved the TB.

I like to release bugs that are cacher interactive. Post a picture (but not required to move the bug) is a big one. I have one that is simply post answers to three questions out of twenty-five or so (Favorite ice cream, etc.). Another that has no goal other than to be moved cache to cache. When someone logs my bug by posting a Discover on my easy to follow TBs, I have to wonder.

Edited by BlueDeuce

No, you were not the one complaining. You were pointing out a TB owner who, in my opinion, is complaining about Discoveries. I suppose more accurately this owner is not necessarily complaining, but taking out his anger in another way (by deleting logs).

Cheers

Discovering a bug or coin in a cache lets the owner know it's still there.

Discovering a bunch of bugs or coins at an event lets people get numbers and icons.

Discovering a bunch of bugs or coins from a printed list, without people ever seeing the bug or coin can possibly get your bug or coin locked if you are the one passing out the list. Don't let your bug or coin get on a list. Passing out tracking numbers just for the sake of logging them is considered virtual abuse of the system. That was never meant to be the object of the game. The discover option was put in place so that when someone's bug/coin DID go to an event, it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle of everyone trying to grab and retrieve and place it back at the same time, often leaving the trackable item in cyber-limbo, so the owner never knew who really ended up with it. It wasn't so people could rack up numbers from some paper list. It was to help the owner of the item keep that item properly logged and placed.

However, if someone wants to discover a trackable, and actually saw the trackable, that is allowed. If you don't want discover logs on your trackable, you should state so on the page, and if you plan to delete their log, the page should say so, up front. There shouldn't be any surprises.

Discovering a bug or coin in a cache lets the owner know it's still there.

Discovering a bunch of bugs or coins at an event lets people get numbers and icons.

Discovering a bunch of bugs or coins from a printed list, without people ever seeing the bug or coin can possibly get your bug or coin locked if you are the one passing out the list. Don't let your bug or coin get on a list. Passing out tracking numbers just for the sake of logging them is considered virtual abuse of the system. That was never meant to be the object of the game. The discover option was put in place so that when someone's bug/coin DID go to an event, it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle of everyone trying to grab and retrieve and place it back at the same time, often leaving the trackable item in cyber-limbo, so the owner never knew who really ended up with it. It wasn't so people could rack up numbers from some paper list. It was to help the owner of the item keep that item properly logged and placed.

However, if someone wants to discover a trackable, and actually saw the trackable, that is allowed. If you don't want discover logs on your trackable, you should state so on the page, and if you plan to delete their log, the page should say so, up front. There shouldn't be any surprises.

Can't argue with that.

"However, if someone wants to discover a trackable, and actually saw the trackable, that is allowed. If you don't want discover logs on your trackable, you should state so on the page, and if you plan to delete their log, the page should say so, up front. There shouldn't be any surprises"

Right on!

Discovering a bunch of bugs or coins from a printed list, without people ever seeing the bug or coin can possibly get your bug or coin locked if you are the one passing out the list. Don't let your bug or coin get on a list.

What if the list is only 1 coin long? Lots of people pass out paper lists of 1 coin.

When I first started it buy travel bugs and track them it was a lot of fun. Some of my travel bugs traveled as far as 52.000 miles but when discovering started people began to get a little lazy. They want credit to pad there profile but not take the time to help a fellow cacher to move his travel bug to another cache. It,s not like they are not going to do another cache so why not move it. Can someone tell me why a fellow cacher would not move a travel bug? I have 16 bugs that are out and maybe five have been lost. My plan was to have 25 total but with this discovering I will not waste my money on any more. It was real fun for a some time.

When I first started it buy travel bugs and track them it was a lot of fun. Some of my travel bugs traveled as far as 52.000 miles but when discovering started people began to get a little lazy. They want credit to pad there profile but not take the time to help a fellow cacher to move his travel bug to another cache. It,s not like they are not going to do another cache so why not move it. Can someone tell me why a fellow cacher would not move a travel bug? I have 16 bugs that are out and maybe five have been lost. My plan was to have 25 total but with this discovering I will not waste my money on any more. It was real fun for a some time.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself lazy when it comes to moving trackables. When I find a cache that has several trackables and I have maybe 1 or 2 to trade I won't take all of them. If I leave 2 I may take 3 but I won't take 4 or 5 or 6. I will discover the ones I don't take. Or, if a trackable is in a spot that will likely make it more likely for it to move toward it's goal I will leave it there and discover it if I don't feel I can help it.

This turns into a catch 22 when trackable owners complain about cachers moving things against their goals and other owners complaining that cacher don't move things.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself lazy when it comes to moving trackables. When I find a cache that has several trackables and I have maybe 1 or 2 to trade I won't take all of them. If I leave 2 I may take 3 but I won't take 4 or 5 or 6. I will discover the ones I don't take. Or, if a trackable is in a spot that will likely make it more likely for it to move toward it's goal I will leave it there and discover it if I don't feel I can help it.

This turns into a catch 22 when trackable owners complain about cachers moving things against their goals and other owners complaining that cacher don't move things.

I agree with you. I will only "discover" a TB if I find it and either cannot move it toward its goal (only away from its goal) or when I cannot take all the TBs in a cache.

I think most people who "discover" a TB would not have moved it if the "discover" option were not available, and so the discovery does no real harm to a TB's travel.

I think it's cool that TBs Travel, but for me this is not the primary purpose of most of mine. While they do have missions or goals, my idea is more to "share" my toy or game with other players. I'm perfectly happy to have my bugs discovered (like a collection of spoons, where the purpose is not to eat with them, but rather to show them off). I guess I may feel differently if one gets stuck in one place for a long time.

And if the travel bug does not have a goal does that mean you do not discover it you move it. WELLLLLL

I like to release bugs that are cacher interactive. Post a picture (but not required to move the bug) is a big one. I have one that is simply post answers to three questions out of twenty-five or so (Favorite ice cream, etc.). Another that has no goal other than to be moved cache to cache. When someone logs my bug by posting a Discover on my easy to follow TBs, I have to wonder.

When you go to an event and there are say 30 travel bugs on a table and there five or ten people copying down numbers is that to let the bug owners know that there bug is at the evelt. He already knows that his bug is at the event. NO it is to PAD there stats I thing we all know that.

Edited by mobdic