DNF Dilemma

Premise:

An "experienced" geocacher goes looking for a cache. Let's say he's been geocaching for 1+ years and has 500+ finds. The point being he isn't a newbie.

Situation:

The geocacher believes the cache description (or cache title) highly suggests the likely hiding place for this cache. However, after searching for 40 minutes or so, he doesn't find it. The cache log on the Internet shows a half dozen consecutive DNFs within the last four months. The cache owner hasn't responded with a log or note of any kind.

Dilemma:

How do you feel this situation should be handled? Which number below comes closest to your response:

1. Don't log anything.

2. Log a DNF as the others have done.

3. Log an assertive DNF that attempts to get the owner to investigate.

4. Physically replace the cache with one you hide yourself in the likely spot. Log a DNF

stating you believe the cache is missing, but that you have now replaced it for the owner.

5. Physically replace the cache with one you hide yourself in the likely spot. Log a FIND

stating you believe the cache is missing, but that you have now replaced it for the owner.

6. Other action. Please describe.

Does anyone know if geocaching.com has an official position to this situation?

Number 2.

Possibly followup with an email asking the owner to check on it and report status. Depends on the difficulty. A difficulty 3.5 or higher should really take much more than 40 minutes.

Never replace - you can never know for certain it is missing unless you have found it before or own it.

Premise:

An "experienced" geocacher goes looking for a cache. Let's say he's been geocaching for 1+ years and has 500+ finds. The point being he isn't a newbie.

Situation:

The geocacher believes the cache description (or cache title) highly suggests the likely hiding place for this cache. However, after searching for 40 minutes or so, he doesn't find it. The cache log on the Internet shows a half dozen consecutive DNFs within the last four months. The cache owner hasn't responded with a log or note of any kind.

Dilemma:

How do you feel this situation should be handled? Which number below comes closest to your response:

1. Don't log anything.

4. Physically replace the cache with one you hide yourself in the likely spot. Log a DNF

5. Physically replace the cache with one you hide yourself in the likely spot. Log a FIND

Request the cache be archived and let the reviewers deal with the owner

...The cache owner hasn't responded with a log or note of any kind....

Missing from this is the last active infomration on the geocaching.com website. The onwer not saying much on their caches is an indicator. You need to also know if they are visiting the site. Plus you need time frames. Someone can dissapear for a month and it's no big deal.

Never replace - you can never know for certain it is missing unless you have found it before or own it.

Actually, even then you can't be sure. For a variety of reasons, caches move. You can only be certain it is no longer where you placed it, or found it previously. I have been amazed to see how different some hides had become while doing a revisit. Sometimes, with no indication on the cache page that anything has been changed. I have learned to say "I can't find it. It's not where I had found it previously." instead of "As a previous finder, I'm sure It's not there."

Edited by Cardinal Red

;) That's hopefully your last resort! Archiving is an extreme measure after all other avenues are exhausted. Not to mention wasting your local Reviewer's precious time if you haven't tried the other steps first. You don't know all the facts including whether anyone has written and received confirmation that it's gone AWOL. I don't write notes of assurance everytime there are a few DNFs in a row on one of our harder caches. I just check to make sure it's there. We've received multiple requests for confirmation and even a word from a local reviewer over supposed "missing" caches, but with only one muggle exception in 2 years it always turned out to just be a harder find for the cachers than they anticipated. :rolleyes:

Actually, even then you can't be sure. For a variety of reasons, caches move. You can only be certain it is no longer where you placed it, or found it previously. I have been amazed to see how different some hides had become while doing a revisit. Sometimes, with no indication on the cache page that anything has been changed. I have learned to say "I can't find it. It's not where I had found it previously." instead of "As a previous finder, I'm sure It's not there."

And it's not always the cache owner responsible for the relocation. I e-mailed a cache owner on one thanking them for the hide and made some mention of the specifics as to where I found it and they replied that that was not where it was intended to be, so I ended up re-visiting and relocating it for them (since I drove by it every day).

;) That's hopefully your last resort! Archiving is an extreme measure after all other avenues are exhausted. Not to mention wasting your local Reviewer's precious time if you haven't tried the other steps first. You don't know all the facts including whether anyone has written and received confirmation that it's gone AWOL. I don't write notes of assurance everytime there are a few DNFs in a row on one of our harder caches. I just check to make sure it's there. We've received multiple requests for confirmation and even a word from a local reviewer over supposed "missing" caches, but with only one muggle exception in 2 years it always turned out to just be a harder find for the cachers than they anticipated. :rolleyes:

the archival process will likely take several months. In the example, there is no response from the owner after several DNF's.. Let the reviewer deal with it and start the process.. If the owner takes any action during the archival process, it will be removed from the process.

Hi BB,

I got your email and answered back but then saw this thread afterwoards. Thought i'd go ahead and post here what i had sent in my email reply to you.

"This may just be a cache that is extremely tough that the owner wants finders to find on their own. In otherwords, he is not willing to help in any way, not even by adding any notes to the cache page.

Me personally,,first, i would check the owner's profile to see if he/she is still active. If they are, then i would log my dnf stating my concerns about the cache and that it might need checking. The bottom line though is that i wouldn't be completely positive that the cache was missing so that's about as far as i would go myself. Of course, if the owner isn't active, then i would log an sba to get a reviewer involved.

In the scenario you gave, #3 best fits my answer!"

:rolleyes: That's hopefully your last resort! Archiving is an extreme measure after all other avenues are exhausted. Not to mention wasting your local Reviewer's precious time if you haven't tried the other steps first. You don't know all the facts including whether anyone has written and received confirmation that it's gone AWOL. I don't write notes of assurance everytime there are a few DNFs in a row on one of our harder caches. I just check to make sure it's there. We've received multiple requests for confirmation and even a word from a local reviewer over supposed "missing" caches, but with only one muggle exception in 2 years it always turned out to just be a harder find for the cachers than they anticipated. ;)

the archival process will likely take several months. In the example, there is no response from the owner after several DNF's.. Let the reviewer deal with it and start the process.. If the owner takes any action during the archival process, it will be removed from the process.

That's my point! No response after several DNFs does not mean automatically jumping the gun to archive a cache. Some great caches have gone through these periods and turned out to just be well (cleverly) hidden. A cache owner isn't required to post a note (although it might be polite) because people aren't finding it. The archival process can actually take only 4 weeks if I remember correctly. We took over one that had abandoned by a cacher in just over 2 weeks once the owner was notified and failed to respond and it was apparent that the cacher had not been active in over 6 months.

I ran into a similar situation myself recently. There was a cache with 1.5 Difficulty and a terrain of 2.5 in a park a few hours from my home area. We had spent a long, chilly and wet day caching and we were getting tired. We started to go after this one, but because of some prior problems with a few caches in the area, we pulled out the PDA to look at the latest logs. The last find was in late May and nothing but DNFs since. The last log was mid-December and asked if the cache was even there. We decided not to bother wasting our time on this one, but I did log a Needs Maintenance on this when I got home stating after seeing so many DNFs and no response from the caching owner, we didn't look because it appears to be gone.

I received a nasty email from the owner saying that I was obviously too lazy and chicken to look for her cache, etc. She did send her husband out to check on it after that, however. At least the "Needs Maintenance" got the issue resolved of whether or not the cache was there. I am not sure the cache owner was going to be bothered with it until then.

Clarification:

Situation:

The situation the OP stated was 6 DNF's over the last 4 months, with no response from the owner. The description highly suggests the likely hiding spot. This cache is missing (most likely)...

correct option: send to reviewer to deal with it and move on to your next cache.

Option 2A: log a DNF describing the extent and effort of your search, then forget it and move on.

Option 2B: log a DNF as above. Email owner a simple question to see if they are getting email. (I've seen owners reply quicky to email when they wre not responding to logs.) When they don't reply, email several previous finders to see if any of them will verify that your obvious spot was the right spot. If you are wrong, end of story. If you are right, you have the choices for a missing cache with MIA owner: log SBA, go out and replace the container, or pursue non-consensual adoption.

Both are good choices, so choose based on your own preferences.

Edward

Most cachers never have this dilema. They just don't take the time to log DNF's either because they are too lazy or embarrased. I have never knowingly not logged a DNF.

I have used options 2,3,5 and 6. Never 1 or 4. I think there are too many what if's to really resolve this issue. In the rare case where you decide to replace, logging a find is an important way to signal that there is a cache there. You can always watchlist the cache and when/if others find it, you can change your log. Some bad, unmaintained caches just need to be archived

Edited by Survivor Florida

I am relativly new to this game and I try to learn from the "experienced" people. This happened in our area with a vetern and here is how it went down. See geocache # GC17BPN and read the FTF log.

This guy logs a DNF just 10 minutes after the cache was published. He then writes that he is going to replace tha cache because it must be gone. People start ripping the guy and then the owner catches on a couple of days later and goes to check. The owner finds the REAL cache :) .

Moral I learned from this guy was NEVER REPLACE A CACHE YOU DON'T OWN!!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents.

6. I would log a DNF describing that I could not find and then a "needs maintanence" describing why I think the cache needs maintanence (a lot of dnf's in this case).

then two months later I would log a "needs archived" if it had not been found.

I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER REPLACE A CACHE UNLESS I HAD OBVIOUS PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER TO DO SO!

Most cachers never have this dilema. They just don't take the time to log DNF's either because they are too lazy or embarrased. I have never knowingly not logged a DNF.
I think that the reason that most people don't have this dilemna is because most people don't dwell on the history of each cache and prior DNFs.

Step one: Look for cache

Step two: Enter the appropriate 'Find', 'DNF', or 'Note' log.

Personally, I would not have bothered to look for the cache in the first place. Numerous dnfs suggest that cache is missing and that I will likely just be wasting time. If I see a number of dnfs in a row for one of my caches, I will do an inspection and if the cache is there post a note stating the cache is still there.

Personally, I would not have bothered to look for the cache in the first place. Numerous dnfs suggest that cache is missing and that I will likely just be wasting time. ...
I agree. That cache would never have made it into my GPSr.

The DNF string on a cache that's really there is my specialty. I love these finds. You have to do the legwork to figure out the odds of the cache actually being there.

The normal variation is the DNF with no FTF. Normally Bad Coords. Fun to figure out.

The next version is the DNF after a few good finds. My favorite was DNF on my first trip (when everyone else was finding it...) because I didn't find the right forest service road to get to the cahe. The next trip when everone wasn't finding it I found the right road and after an hour found the cache. Someone had placed the rock cover so perfectly it looked natural and like it was a boulder burried in the hillside. It was just a fairly flat rock that fit the hole perfecty. Beautiful natural camo.

Option 2A.

Log a DNF (Assuming I would have stopped to look for a basic cache with 6 DNFs).

Log a Should Be Archived-SBA.

x2

Just did this on a cache last week. 5 consecutive DNFs and the cache was last found 15 months ago. Owner had not logged on in the last 4 months. The reviewer disabled the cache and posted a note. Shortly there after the owner archived the cache with a note stating they meant to archive it previously.

Just did this a couple weeks ago. :D

The scenario here was that we knew from previous notes the cache had been muggled. Cache owner had not logged on in 3 years and was obviously not geocaching anymore. We knew about were the cache was at, so we replaced it. The cache was hidden in the desert and was over 4 yrs old. There was already a SBA note on the cache, but we logged our finds and indicated the cache was replaced.

Clarification:

Situation:

The situation the OP stated was 6 DNF's over the last 4 months, with no response from the owner. The description highly suggests the likely hiding spot. This cache is missing (most likely)...

correct option: send to reviewer to deal with it and move on to your next cache.

I cache on a small island where nobody is really anonymous so people tend to be a more polite in situations like this. A request for archive is never sent before at least attempting to contact the owner. We also risk getting rear ended to let another car into traffic.

I wouldn't log a "needs maintenance" unless I found "bits" of cache scattered around the area. If you don't find it, it's a DNF. If you're the 3rd or 4th DNF, my log would say "you might want to check on this one, it may be history".

Replacing a cache is something I have issues with. A buddy of mine hid a cache... nothing difficult, a magnetic guardrail hide and two highly experienced cachers stopped by. One of them had found it previously (there'd been three or four finds with no DNF's) and they logged a "find" and mentioned that it was missing, because it wasn't where it had been found previously, and that they replaced it. When we went to check on it later that afternoon, we found the new cache and the old one as well... about a foot further down the guardrail. :D

I wouldn't replace someone else's cache unless you had arranged with the owner previously or you found the cache "compromised" or destroyed and put the cache into a temporary container until the owner could get out for maintenance. But I guess that falls more along the line of "cache repair", not replacement.

DCC

DCC

The scenario here was that we knew from previous notes the cache had been muggled. Cache owner had not logged on in 3 years and was obviously not geocaching anymore. We knew about were the cache was at, so we replaced it. The cache was hidden in the desert and was over 4 yrs old. There was already a SBA note on the cache, but we logged our finds and indicated the cache was replaced.

How can you "find" something that is not there? :P

Premise:

Situation:

That was my bolding there. I have a question: Is the owner still active? When is the last time they logged into the site under that caching account?

I've seen caches that would accumulate four, five, six or more DNFs between finds.

I've had one of them myself. At first, I'd run out and check it after a couple-three DNFs showed up, then I realized that people just didn't want to look as long as they needed to for that cache. I upped the difficulty and started letting more time go by before I ran out to check.

I got a real nastygram from some very experienced cachers who were miffed they couldn't find it and "sure" it wasn't there because there were 2 DNFs before theirs (which they described as "a whole string of DNFs" in their online log and their note to me). They seemed to think I should let them "just go ahead and take the smiley since it wasn't there" --and they just knew that was the case because they couldn't find it. (I went out to check, and guess what? It was there, they just didn't find it).

If I really look for a cache, and don't find it, I assume I didn't find it and log a DNF. If I suspect it may be missing, I email the owner, tell them where I looked and how thoroughly I looked-so they can judge whether they think it is missing or not. Some of them answer me, some don't. I don't feel like the owe me a note back, I'm just trying to help them out.

If I notice the owner seems to be awol, I post a more thorough note to the cache page, and if lots of DNFs are before mine, I drop the nearest reviewer a note, too. Not insisting that anything be done, just providing the information for their records.

Number 6. I would check the persons profile page to see when the last time they have been on line. If it hasn't been on since the cache was placed, I would send them a email saying I think it is missing then log a DNF.

What was the rating on the cache? Maybe it is meant to be hard to be found. :D

Situation:

A few points on how we (Sissy and I) would handle it depending on finer detail:

• Filtering DNFs.
    We doubt we would have filtered a cache based on consecutive DNFs if it otherwise sounded interesting. An interesting hunt does not necessarily become not so because we didn't find the cache. Some of our most memorable hunts have ended in DNFs. We also tend to take it as a challenge to find caches that other folks can't.
  • Previous logs.
    Considering we generally have more than only the last 5 logs we can look further back in time for additional hints to the caches location. Aggregating logs does have an advantage in situations like this.
  • Cache owner activity.
    We don't know when the last time the cache owner has logged onto the site or logged a find himself. If he has not logged onto this site in four months or better then he has, at least temporarily, dropped out of geocaching and abandoned his responsibilities.
  • Logging.
    If I logged, I'd log a DNF. Then, depending on what I could figure out of cache owner's latest activities, I would log an SBA.
  • Why an SBA?
    If a cacher has abandoned his responsibilities and the cache has serious issues, like missing, then the cache is no longer viable. It should be archived. This does not preclude community supported caches. As long as a cache stays viable and the community is willing to support it then, IMHO, it should stay. This is not the issue here.
  • "Don't you DARE post an SBA on one of my caches."
    Answer: "Get your butt out there and take care of it." If you've let a cache listing go with several DNFs over a period of months and you've indicated nothing on the cache page that you've checked on it, then you deserve an SBA posted on your listing.
  • What I would NOT do.
    • Log a find. It was not found.
    • Post an SBA simply because I couldn't find a cache.
    • Log a NM. It is not a "maintenance issue" if the cache is not even there. It's not as if the cache is wet or the logbook is full. That's a maintenance issue. Don't worry about logging an SBA, the archiving is not automatic. The reviewers can bring a lot more weight to bear in getting the owner's full attention.
      If you did log a NM then make it clear the maintenance issue is it appears the cache location does not match the coordinates, description, clues, hints, or previous find logs--a serious maintenance issue, indeed.
    • NO THROW DOWNS!!! Do not place a cache--of any size--and then claim a find. It is cheesy and you didn't find it. The only thing you did was place a cache that you don't own. Kind of stupid cheesy, IMHO. Throwing down a cache is not "community support," it is "I hunted therefore I deserve a smilie."

Yeah, I know some of the above is not the "politically correct" thing say or do. I don't go by what's popular or feels good, but by what seems right. For instance, the admonishment of not posting an SBA, IMHO, doesn't mesh with the idea of archiving a listing and posting a new one if the cache is moved 50'. So what if the reviewer does archive a SBAed cache? The owner can later list it again if it meets the requirements and someone else doesn't get in there first.

That's pretty much how we handle things.

Premise:

Situation:

Dilemma:

1. Don't log anything.

A. Don't go looking for it.

B. Notify the reviewer for the area.

C. Get on with life.

D. Cache on Garth

Neos2: The owner has logged into his account since the incident. There is still no log or note about the situation.

You haven't said why you are asking about this (if you are the owner or the person who attempted the cache or just an interested bystander), but I it really doesn't matter. My response is the same.

I still think the owner doesn't have to answer an email about the status of the cache, and they don't have to post a note to the cache page about it, either. If the owner is active, I assume they are aware of the logs to the cache page, and probably getting most if not all of the private emails about the cache and for whatever reason, they don't feel the need to write anything. They may (or may not) have gone to check on the cache personally.

The active owner of the cache that hasn't been found runs the risk that people will not hunt the cache or will send them emails asking for action or information. Personally, I think that is the extent of the risk they deserve and no further action is needed. I don't think the reviewer ought to step in to say "You need to respond to the emails and log notes about the DNFs on this cache" for example. I don't think anyone ought to log a SBA, a "needs maintenance" log, or send a note to the local reviewer if the cache owner is active.

If the cache owner never responds in cases like this, I'd recommend not going after their caches if you (we, I, the generic inclusive "you") are annoyed by being left in limbo about the cache status.

Premise:

Situation:

Dilemma:

1. Don't log anything.

I probably would not waste my time looking for a cache with so many consecutive DNFs. If I were to do such and unusual thing and not find the cache, then I would add my DNF to the string. I might also email the owner and add a needs maintenance, if I got no response to the email.

I really was surprised to read your 4th and 5th options, though. Why would anyone consider replacing the cache of an owner whom they suspect to be inattentive??? If the cache of such an owner goes missing, I would consider it good riddance.