Fugawi or Memory Map?

Von-Horst

Just wondering whether one is better than the other.

Fugawi seems to be (slghtly) cheaper and to have more world-wide coverage (and is compatible with more 3rd party maps). It is also Palm-friendly.

I have used memory map and have found it to be very easy to use.

What does eveyone think?

I have fugawi, because I own a palm. I'll be upgrading to a PPC and Memory Map eventually.

The major drawback with the palm is that you have to load section of map on at a time as you have to load it to the palm device before trasnferring it to the SD card. It hasn't caused me a big problem so far, as I just load the maps covering the areas I cache in frequently and if I am going somewhere new it's no issue to cut a map and transfer it.

I find Fugawi can be extremely slow at loading on the PC, but this seems to be to do with the number of waypoints you have loaded. Once it's working things move around fairly quickly, I can print maps etc, and becuse I imported the GC.com symbols and with a little bit of GSAK cleverness I can easily spot the different cache types, containers etc. I believe some clever person has already done this for Memory Map.

I've used Anquet Mapping for planning walking routes on a PC for years. It seems to work fine for caching too.

I, too, have used Anquet for walking before caching and also find it good for caching. There is a macro for exporting caches from GSAK by BandMandMandA and the latest version of anquet )6.2.2.0) now includes a GPX import which is the thing that has been missing up to now.

See this thread. and the macro is in the GSAK forum Macro Library

I've used Anquet Mapping for planning walking routes on a PC for years. It seems to work fine for caching too.

I, too, have used Anquet for walking before caching and also find it good for caching. There is a macro for exporting caches from GSAK by BandMandMandA and the latest version of anquet )6.2.2.0) now includes a GPX import which is the thing that has been missing up to now.

See this thread. and the macro is in the GSAK forum Macro Library

Thanks for the tip, it's greatly appreciated, even though it's given me a headache already :D

Memory map for PPC if you live in the UK, OziXplorer for anywhere else...

Or if you're hardcore, BeelineGPS and NO map :)

I personally find Quo2 [windows PC]

from Mapyx.com and Quo Mobile [Windows Mobile] a cheaper and better solution than Memory Map, as 1:50000 map tiles are only 99p each and the software is cheaper too, 29.95 for Quo2 and 19.95 for Quo Mobile.

Hope this helps someone?

Any other Quo2/Quo Mobile users out there?

I also use CacheMate on my Windows Mobile device...

Regards,

Martin

I personally find Quo2 [windows PC]

from Mapyx.com and Quo Mobile [Windows Mobile] a cheaper and better solution than Memory Map, as 1:50000 map tiles are only 99p each and the software is cheaper too, 29.95 for Quo2 and 19.95 for Quo Mobile.

Hope this helps someone?

Any other Quo2/Quo Mobile users out there?

I also use CacheMate on my Windows Mobile device...

Regards,

Martin

Looks interesting, not heard of this before. The prices look pretty competetive as well, especially for the Landranger stuff :grin: Does it do elevation profiling and OS25k aerials like memory map?

In fact, i've just seen this "Add contnet such as video files, image files, document files,...to your points, tracks, routes" NICE!!

Edited by Realmofchaos

I have just bought a MIO 168, and as a newbie to paperless caching I require two things.

1. The ability to download and reference cache pages, with hints, and if possible images (spoilers)

2. The ability to download and reference all UK OS maps, and if possible link to my current location. (Inbuilt GPS)

What is the best combination, or stand alone. (I already have GSAK)

Cachemate

MemoryMap

Fugawi

Something else, e.g. HTML cache page export

Cheers.

Edited by uk89camaro

I use Memory Map and cachemate on an IPAQ HX2490 (WM5) which I cache with using an Otterbox for protection

I have invested in a large collection of MM maps at 50k and 250k over the past two years, mostly via EBAY so not too expensive

Using GSAK I download the hints directly to my GPS76CSX when I upload waypoints;most of the time I don't need to refer to the cache page, unless it is a multi

I rarely use images, as they are so viewpoint dependent. If one is vital I just print it off

It all works splendidly

<<The major drawback with the palm is that you have to load section of map on at a time as you have to load it to the palm device before trasnferring it to the SD card. >>

We think you'll find a similar problem with the latest MM prog. We have MM4 which divides the UK into about 14 segments. We can load those segments into our IPAQ PDA and it will access entire segments with no problem. However. MM V5 divides the UK into about 3 segments so the resulting files are huge and the memory on our PDA will not load them.

We think you'll find a similar problem with the latest MM prog. We have MM4 which divides the UK into about 14 segments. We can load those segments into our IPAQ PDA and it will access entire segments with no problem. However. MM V5 divides the UK into about 3 segments so the resulting files are huge and the memory on our PDA will not load them.

MM4 would let you send just the visible portion of the map to your pda if that's all you wanted - has MM5 not got that option anymore?

I have just bought a MIO 168, and as a newbie to paperless caching I require two things.

1. The ability to download and reference cache pages, with hints, and if possible images (spoilers)

2. The ability to download and reference all UK OS maps, and if possible link to my current location. (Inbuilt GPS)

Geoscout does both of these, though the spoiler download is next to useless as it uses the thumbnails in the gallery as the source. There is a way round this but it takes a little bit of manual intervention. I suspect (and will try out soon) that it is possible to use 1:25k map tiles too, but again this would require some manual work.

Fugawi doesn't work (properly) with the mio p350, it does show the map and accuratly plot your position, but you can't enter a waypoint either by manually entering co-ords or by loading .loc or .gpx files. In other words, its useless for caching ;)

Memorymap, on the other hand, is brill (once you have got it set up ;) )

In MM4 - like this

mmpda.jpg

Whichever version of MM though, I would never send direct to the pda - but rather to the sd card via a card reader (Activesync is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow). Same MM method applies ........

Edited by keehotee

Fugawi doesn't work (properly) with the mio p350, it does show the map and accuratly plot your position, but you can't enter a waypoint either by manually entering co-ords or by loading .loc or .gpx files. In other words, its useless for caching :D

Memorymap, on the other hand, is brill (once you have got it set up :D )

I think you need to load the .gpx or .loc into fugawi then copy them to the relevent folder prior to sync. I Am surprised you can't manually enter coords on the fly, normally just hold down the stylus till the option to create new waypoint appears. Guess the mio works a bit differently to everything else!

Wouldn't knock MM though, I can't wait for the day I can get me mits on that :laughing:

<<It took 3.5 hours to load the 603 MB of MM5 region 6 on to my iPAQ 5550 only to discover it would not run. >>

We refer the Honourable Geocacher to the statement we made earlier!!

We are aware that portions of maps maybe sent to the PDA and we do use that facility. However, if you are going on a longish journey you can load a whole UK segment of MM4 into the PDA and it works like a charm. You can't do that with MM5.

As someone else mentioned, we use a card reader and move files directly from our PC to the PDA card. It takes minutes compared to hours with ActiveSync.

Fugawi doesn't work (properly) with the mio p350, it does show the map and accuratly plot your position, but you can't enter a waypoint either by manually entering co-ords or by loading .loc or .gpx files. In other words, its useless for caching :)

Memorymap, on the other hand, is brill (once you have got it set up :lol: )

I think you need to load the .gpx or .loc into fugawi then copy them to the relevent folder prior to sync. I Am surprised you can't manually enter coords on the fly, normally just hold down the stylus till the option to create new waypoint appears. Guess the mio works a bit differently to everything else!

Wouldn't knock MM though, I can't wait for the day I can get me mits on that :)

I did contact Fugawi at the time and they told me it was incompatible with the mio, but luckily I was able to return it and swap for memorymap. It may well be there is some sort of workround to make it load the waypoints, but it certainly isn't easy, I think I tried everything!

I'm "lumbered" with Fugawi as it was provided for work. Is OK on a laptop but better than useless on an iPAQ, crashes and freezes at random. Also have real problems getting Fugawi to pick up my bluetooth GPS, I use FransonGate which works great on the TomTom but have to "fiddle" with the comm port settings on the iPAQ to get Fugawi to work. :anibad:

Trying to convince "work" we should have MM, but is is more expensive than Fugawi so bit of a struggle. :o

The only way I have found to load "waypoints" is to use GSAK and create a Fugawi export text file. Then load this on the LAPTOP and use the Fugawi PDA Export function, for map slices/waypoints, bit slow but it works. :o

If you live in Kent, there is a problem with Fugawi V 4.5, basically most of Kent isn't there. We may have a "duff" CD but once you cross the Dartford Bridge, Fugawi displays a black screen, on a notebook & iPAQ. As for Fugawi support, I'll give you my mobile number and you can talk to my cat as he will have more ideas!!! :o

Does MM have the export map limit that Fugawi does, you get an error message if you try and export a map "tile" greater then 1600km squared?

Regards

Nick

<<It took 3.5 hours to load the 603 MB of MM5 region 6 on to my iPAQ 5550 only to discover it would not run. >>

We are aware that portions of maps maybe sent to the PDA and we do use that facility. However, if you are going on a longish journey you can load a whole UK segment of MM4 into the PDA and it works like a charm. You can't do that with MM5.

As someone else mentioned, we use a card reader and move files directly from our PC to the PDA card. It takes minutes compared to hours with ActiveSync.

Thanks.

I tried sending the smaller maps to my card reader again. What found was that when I opened MM5 on the PDA the map did not appear on the list initially. What I had to do was open the file in the storage card after that it showed up on the map list. Looks like I will need to find a copy of MM4 so I can load larger maps.

Thanks.

I tried sending the smaller maps to my card reader again. What found was that when I opened MM5 on the PDA the map did not appear on the list initially. What I had to do was open the file in the storage card after that it showed up on the map list. Looks like I will need to find a copy of MM4 so I can load larger maps.

Rather coincidentally I was trying to do this last night. The option to send an enclosed portion of a map was introduced shortly after 5.0.0. I upgraded from a link I found on another forum and then just created 2 routes per 1:50K map and bingo. Upload took about 1 minute per upload to a card reader. Let me know if you want the link and I'll search it out when I get home.

Thanks.

Rather coincidentally I was trying to do this last night. The option to send an enclosed portion of a map was introduced shortly after 5.0.0. I upgraded from a link I found on another forum and then just created 2 routes per 1:50K map and bingo. Upload took about 1 minute per upload to a card reader. Let me know if you want the link and I'll search it out when I get home.

I would appreciative it if you could send the link and I will give it a go.

Many Thanks.

:huh::huh:B)