changing difficulty level of a cache?

Woletrap

Hi all,

I only have one hide, and after 8 months I am still second guessing the difficulty rating I gave it. The cache has 36 finds and 10 dnf's. I gave it 2 stars for difficulty after using the "geocache rating system" on the cache listing form. but since then i really wonder if it should be more (and then i start second guessing my terrain rating too). i'd like some input as to whether or not I should change it, or just leave it be. i'm hesitant to place more caches until i get your opinions. B)

the cache itself is a fake rock, in what is essentially a creek bed made of river rocks in an area landscaped for a low water use desert style popular in the desert here. you can park either west or south of it, and it is then only about 30-75 feet away. you do have to stand in/on the river rocks that average tennis ball size or larger, otherwise the ground has just dry dirt/clay and a couple bushes and skinny little desert trees.

here's a pic i took of a dnf in progress, B) , from my apartment across the street (they left before i could get dressed and go help)...

dnf.jpg

what say you, oh geocaching masses - give it more stars or leave it at 2?

:P

Thanks!!!

Speaking stricly from the picture and the cache description (and hint), I think you've done well. I ran it through the rating system too and got the same result.

IMHO, the difficulty indicates the ability to figure out the 'puzzle' or the way it was hidden. If someone decided to utlize the hint with their GPSr, I think one can readily surmise that it's likely a fake rock or at least in the rock stack.

Someone could probably argue to move it to a 2.5 and I might be inclined to listen. But no, I think you're right on. Nice hide! I'll try to get over there to search when I head out that way next Spring. B)

I think changing the difficulty is fine. I just lowered a cache from 4 to 2 stars because people are not having nearly as tough a time with it as I expected. I've also raised the difficulty on some caches because I expected them to be easy and they turned out to be harder than I thought.

Looking at yours, I see 10 DNFs and 36 finds. I think something with that ratio should be higher than 2 stars. I'd probably go with 2.5. It's not quite a 3 though.

Edited by briansnat

One thing to bear in mind when changing D/T ratings for a cache is that it may have an unintended side effect. Certain caches, such as Well Rounded Cacher (The Fizzy Challenge), require that cachers first log other caches with every possible D/T combination. Changing a rating could mess up the eligibility of some cachers who may have been using their previous find of your cache as one of their qualifying finds.

I totally agree with briansnat (not for the first time). The DNF to find ratio is a tad high for a 2.

Call it a 2.5.

DNFs could actually be quite higher as I'm quite sure many people do not log their DNFs.

Maybe it's a particular wel done fake rock if that is the type cache container.

I totally agree with briansnat (not for the first time). The DNF to find ratio is a tad high for a 2.

Call it a 2.5.

DNFs could actually be quite higher as I'm quite sure many people do not log their DNFs.

Maybe it's a particular wel done fake rock if that is the type cache container.

That's probably true. I bet that as many as 1/3 to 1/2 of searchers don't log their DNFs. Of course there are

finders who don't log their Fount Its, but I think the ratio is much lower,

One thing to bear in mind when changing D/T ratings for a cache is that it may have an unintended side effect. Certain caches, such as Well Rounded Cacher (The Fizzy Challenge), require that cachers first log other caches with every possible D/T combination. Changing a rating could mess up the eligibility of some cachers who may have been using their previous find of your cache as one of their qualifying finds.

I would call that a cost of doing business.

wow thanks for all the input! so I'm gathering that those of you that think it should be higher would go with 2.5 generally. i'm leaning toward just leaving the rating as is at this point, or possibly altering the fake rock itself like putting a scratch or a little dab of paint or something identifying like that but still hard to find. but what are the ramifications of changing the rating "midstream", other than affecting people doing a multi cache challenge of some sort as the hermit crabs said?

Well, if you read the descriptions in the rating system on the submission form here is how 2 and 3 level of difficulty reads:

**Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

So, I could see where maybe 2.5 is maybe right on...

Here is the form I am talking about: http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

Edited by egami
Well, if you read the descriptions in the rating system on the submission form here is how 2 and 3 level of difficulty reads:

**Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

Two sounds right, to me. After all, in thirty minutes you could hand check every rock in the search area.

Two sounds right, to me. After all, in thirty minutes you could hand check every rock in the search area.

If you're an octopus maybe :rolleyes:

It's a subjective rating...if you can do it 30, great. I am not sure the "average" cacher could, but I know the 's' stands for s(uper)bell111, so that's not really fair. :rolleyes:

Edited by egami