Newb deciding btw Legend HCX and GPSMAP 60cx

oldskoolboarder

Interested in getting into geocaching with the family.

We don't have a GPS unit so I'm looking the Garmin etrex Legend HCX and GPSMAP 60CX. Those have been recommended many times throughout my queries.

My question is what is the main diff btw the 2 units? Form factor is close but is the 60CX really work the $80+ more?

Thanks.

Sorry, I am not directly answering your question...

BUT, if you go to Garmin's website you can compare pretty well between any of those units. It looks like neither unit has the barometric altimeter or magnetic compass(works standing still). The 60CX has a significantly larger screen (although lower resolution, and in my real life comparison not as bright), and comes with a memory card (although it is fairly small and may not hold much in the way of maps). However you can get a cheap $25 or so 2GB microSD from amazon as well for any unit you buy. The 60CX has tides tables which the others do not, so if you are near water that may be a concern. THe 60CX advertises less battery life (mostly likely due to the larger screen).

HERE is a link to a comparison page of the two models you mentioned and the Vista HCX. NOTE: There is a 60CX and a 60CSX so I added both of those in for comparison.

I just went through the comparison stuff when I ordered mine, and for my money the Vista HCX was the way to go. But I can easily see how other people might prefer features of the others. I would definitely try to go see them working in your hand before you buy - I am trying to be neutral but there were certain things about the 60CX that I didn't think I could live with once I played with it a bit. I am sure others feel that way about the one I picked. I found that Gander Mountain has a bunch you can try out - if you have one close.

Happy hunting.

Edited by kraushad

BUT, if you go to Garmin's website you can compare pretty well between any of those units. My first guesses would be that the 60CX gets you an altimeter, magnetic compass, much bigger screen (although lower resolution), etc.

I may be wrong, but isn't the 60CSX the one with the compass and altimeter as opposed to the CX which doesn't??

My understanding is that the external antennae on the 60CSx will give you better reception. We currently have the 60CSx and love it. The reception under tree cover is noticably better than our old Garmin yellow (similar shape to the HCX). I'll admit I don't know much else about the HCX's reception though.

I'll also add that I think the 60Cx is enough and I don't really need the altimiter and electronic compass that comes with the 60CSx.

The buttons on the front and slightly better anntena type, slightly bigger screen are the main differences. If you are going to do a lot of in-car navigation with the unit - you may appreciate the front buttons better. Most of the units functions are identical.

You may want to also look into the new Garmin Colorado 300 unit. It adds the ability to go totally paperless but you will pay for it - I've seen them at $445.

<snip>

I just went through the comparison stuff when I ordered mine, and for my money the Vista HCX was the way to go. But I can easily see how other people might prefer features of the others. I would definitely try to go see them working in your hand before you buy - I am trying to be neutral but there were certain things about the 60CX that I didn't think I could live with once I played with it a bit. I am sure others feel that way about the one I picked. I found that Gander Mountain has a bunch you can try out - if you have one close.

<snip>

Can I just say "Ditto." :rolleyes:

I have used the Map60Cx, but prefer my Vista HCx. I like the "click stick" and find it much easier to navigate with it, as opposed to the rocker button, and the "Enter" button on the Map60Cx. Once someone figures out which buttons do what on the Vista HCx (or Legend HCx), and sets up the Pages and the Page order to match their preferences, it is very easy to use.

I like the small size, and the bright screen, but for others, the Map 60Cx form factor has more "cool." ;)

BUT, if you go to Garmin's website you can compare pretty well between any of those units. My first guesses would be that the 60CX gets you an altimeter, magnetic compass, much bigger screen (although lower resolution), etc.

I may be wrong, but isn't the 60CSX the one with the compass and altimeter as opposed to the CX which doesn't??

This is correct. The CX doesn't have and electronic compass or barometric altimeter. Personally though, I thiknk the CX is a better deal than the CSX.

Sorry Carolnbarney, I realized as soon as I typed my response that the OP asked about the 60CX not 60CSX, so I was in the middle of the edit when you responded... didn't mean to change my post after you responsed.

Went to see both units (CSX not the CX) at REI.

Seems the biggest diff is form factor and button layout. For some reason, I like the Legend layout because I can do it one handed with the rocker/ENTER switch. This is probably due to my constant cellphone usage more than anything else. With the CSX, I have navigate with the rocker and then hit ENTER. The only time I could see the big advantage with the discrete buttons may be for car nav or on a bike where I might dedicated buttons. I also prefer the Legend's smaller, lighter feel.

I took a look at both manuals and functionally, both seem very close.

Found out that the Legend HCx uses a MediaTek chipset while the 60CX uses a SiRF Star III. From what I've read, they're pretty much on par with each other. Anyone disagree?

I'm leaning towards the Legend, perhaps I can use the savings towards maps.

Edited by oldskoolboarder

Found out that the Legend HCx uses a MediaTek chipset while the 60CX uses a SiRF Star III. From what I've read, they're pretty much on par with each other. Anyone disagree?

That's the question I'd like to see answered.

In addition to the different chipset are the different antennas used: quad-helix for the 60cx and (I assume) patch for the Legend (like all the eTrex).

So what is the difference in terms of accuracy of the 2.

Its not really a question of accuracy. Both units are as accurate as the current sat config will allow. Even units without the high sensitivity chips are as accurate.

The question is: how many sats can you lock onto and under what conditions. The high sensitivity recievers can find and lock onto the signals under heavy tree cover and in ravines and places where ordinary recievers lose the signal. They hold the signal better up close to your body and in the numerous positions you might hold the unit. They keep the readings continous and not in and out.

As best as I can tell the new chips are every bit as good as the sirf chips but that is just my opinion.

My understanding is that the external antennae on the 60CSx will give you better reception. We currently have the 60CSx and love it. The reception under tree cover is noticably better than our old Garmin yellow (similar shape to the HCX). I'll admit I don't know much else about the HCX's reception though.

I'll also add that I think the 60Cx is enough and I don't really need the altimiter and electronic compass that comes with the 60CSx.

The antenna really isn't a factor. In fact some people are reporting slightly better reception in the eTrex H units vs. the 60s. The difference is in the processor.

To answer the OP's question, I think he has to consider what his primary uses will be. If it's for hiking, backpacking, hunting, etc.... the compact size and lighter weight of the eTrex makes it the better choice.

If it's for navigation in the automobile, the slightly larger screen and buttons on the front give the 60 the edge.

Its not really a question of accuracy. Both units are as accurate as the current sat config will allow. Even units without the high sensitivity chips are as accurate.

The question is: how many sats can you lock onto and under what conditions. The high sensitivity recievers can find and lock onto the signals under heavy tree cover and in ravines and places where ordinary recievers lose the signal. They hold the signal better up close to your body and in the numerous positions you might hold the unit. They keep the readings continous and not in and out.

As best as I can tell the new chips are every bit as good as the sirf chips but that is just my opinion.

That's kind of what I meant by 'accuracy'.

I've seen in some situations where getting the right location was difficult if not near impossible due to tree cover or other facts. Makes it really hard to nail down the place to start looking when your GPSr is pointing you to wildly divergent places.

My understanding was the quad-helix antenna of the 60cx 'fixed' a lot of that. Now we have the eTrex H series with the better chips. Sooo, is one better then the other or pretty close or what? Sounds like they are about the same.

The antenna really isn't a factor. In fact some people are reporting slightly better reception in the eTrex H units vs. the 60s. The difference is in the processor.

To answer the OP's question, I think he has to consider what his primary uses will be. If it's for hiking, backpacking, hunting, etc.... the compact size and lighter weight of the eTrex makes it the better choice.

If it's for navigation in the automobile, the slightly larger screen and buttons on the front give the 60 the edge.

I agree. Plus the GPS chip in the HCX models have had a bug for several months where the odometer doesn't work under 2 mph. I have not heard that they have fixed that bug but it would bug me.

I will reiterate that every review I read seems to indicate that the only differences between the VISTAHCX and the 60CSX are in preference of design (screen size, button config, etc.). The newer-technology MediaTek chips seem to be doing a great job, and the SiRF technology has been proven over time.

Since I assume the Legend HCX uses the same chipset and other "innards" I would imagine that it would be very fair to say that other than different features (altimeter, compass, etc.) the two units will function very near to identically.

By the way, I was reading that there is now a 2.60 patch for the chipset to fix the slow moving error people were getting with the E-lines. I am not sure if it works for all the Etrex or just the VistaHCX

Check in the GPS and Software section of the forums... HERE!

Edited by kraushad

First post for for me.

Hello all. I have the 60CSx, my first unit and I went to my first cache 1-17-08.

Heavy tree cover even in winter and it worked great. I will also be using it a speedometer on my chopper along with car navigation for the wife doing yard sales.. LOL

Well worth the $$ to get the 2 GIG card for it IMO.