GPS Options

Hello All,

Well im new here so Hi. lol Anyway, I am looking to get started in Geocaching but I have read reviews and the faqs but I still cant figure out which one I should purchase. But I do know what I would to have in one. I would it to have topo maps a good battery life and I am partial to garmins, dont know y but I like them. Now which ones would you all suggest for a newbie? Thanks for dealing with this question for probably the billonith time.

Thanks

My experience is solely with the DeLorme PN-20 so in all honesty, I can't speak of the others. Some caution however, I sense that there may be some responses in the context of "My Chevy can beat your Ford." I'll try to be even handed.

That being typed, I expect that most all makes and most of their common models are suitable for geocaching. I certainly find my DeLorme PN-20 to be wholly adequate.

On the subject of 3D topo maps, consensus (from people who are familiar with the DeLorme and at least one other model) is that the DeLorme has the best topo map capability. Their GPSr comes bundled with the DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 (house brand) maps which are excellent. Additionally, the USGS Topo Quad series are available on DVDs for the USA at a price of $99 per DVD. (These have been on sale at $50 per and that may still be in effect - call and inquire). You may need one or two per state, depending. CA is two, N & S, while AZ is one DVD.

Battery life? I would put that is my last concern. If the unit has second string maps and marginally visible screen, I could care less that the batteries last a week. I would expect most units to give adequate battery life.

Edited by CowboyPapa

Depends on how much $$$ you have and what you want to do with it.

You may look into the new Garmin Colorado...if you want to play the new "Wherigo" stuff.

You might even check out the For Sale GPS equipment too...on one of the GPS threads.

My first GPS was (and still is) a Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx...because I use the street maps for driving. I don't have Topos on mine...I don't do heavy back woods hiking where I would need that.

I'm looking to get the Colorado 400t.

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

THanks guys for the input. Ok this just goes to so you how little i know..,lol.. Anyway, I have looked at the Colorado, but thats exspensive. Probably out of my range right now, but then again tax time is coming up. With the street maps, do they have those for the whole country? And does it come with the gps? Also Papa I have never heard of DeLorme before, do they have a website that I could check out?

Thanks

THanks guys for the input. Ok this just goes to so you how little i know..,lol.. Anyway, I have looked at the Colorado, but thats exspensive. Probably out of my range right now, but then again tax time is coming up. With the street maps, do they have those for the whole country? And does it come with the gps? Also Papa I have never heard of DeLorme before, do they have a website that I could check out?

Thanks

Roger that,

http://www.delorme.com/

Ok thanks. But I have done some more searching, but the more I search the more i get confuzzeled...But I have changed some things, I would like a gps that I can get street maps, and what should I look for? Technology is something I have no clue about.

Thanks,

Just to confuse you more. As far as street maps go you need to decide whether you want a device that does Automatic routing (turn-by-turn directions) or one that will simply display the streets and show your position on them. Lets say you are at your house and you want to go to Disneyland, I mean who doesn't want to go to Disneyland. If the unit has Automatic routing you would look up the address for Disneyland and hit enter and it would calculate a route for you and give you directions turn-by-turn. If you miss a turn it will recalculate for you. Without automatic routing it will show you the location of Disneyland and you would need to pick the best way to get there.

The street level maps for Garmin (City Navigator) run about $100 depending on where you buy them and contain the entire U.S. and Canada, maybe Puerto Rico also but I'm not sure. I don't know about the street maps for Delorme or Magellan. If you didn't care about the Automatic Routing Garmin TOPO 2008 has street details on it (although not as accurate or up-to-date as City Navigator) So you could see a majority of streets. The Topo doesn't include POI data so you couldn't look up the closest restaurant's because that info is not available.

In general the handheld devices don't use voice prompts to tell you to turn. They use a series of chimes and beeps to tell you a turn is approching and to turn here.

Ok thanks. But I have done some more searching, but the more I search the more i get confuzzeled...But I have changed some things, I would like a gps that I can get street maps, and what should I look for? Technology is something I have no clue about.

Thanks,

If you want something that does roads really great then look at the Garmin's. For any outdoor application and the best maps get the DeLorme PN-20. The DeLorme does roads, and auto routing, just not as good as others (yet).

Thanks. That automatic routing feature sounds like a good idea. But let me guess I have to purchase this software on top of the gps? And, would updates be available, or would I have to rebuy the software ever year or so?

Thanks

Most of the time the software for detail maps is extra. It is usually proprietary (Garmin maps for Garmin GPS, Magellan maps for Magellan GPS). Delorme is an exception in that they package their Topo USA software with their GPS. Updates from Garmin come annually and cost money. I usually get updates every two or three years.

Delorme has the best maps, but someone new to GPS may find their system a little more difficult to learn. A lower end Garmin eTrex h series gps is a safe bet, and Garmin's City Navigator autorouting software would give you detail maps for the GPS. Or maybe even buy a used model in the Garage Sale forum. After you've owned and used one for a while, you will have a much better idea of what you would like to have in an upper end GPS. We can all tell you what we like--and while that may have some value, it tends to overwhelm a person. I favor a modest initial investment that gives you some experience. Then re-sell the first GPS and make an informed decision for the GPS you *really* want.

On the other hand, if your intended uses are fairly clear in your mind, then you might be able to solicit advice sufficient to identify a good GPS match for you at the get-go.

The Vista HCx will continue pointing towards the cache, even after you have stopped on the trail, if the compass is turned on. The Legend HCx's compass arrow will wander when you slow down or stop and will only start pointing towards the cache again after you start moving at a brisk pace. Other than that little inconvenience, they are both excellent units that will serve you well for several years.