Vista HCX map question

Broncoguy

How do you change the unit so that you can look up directions for two points which ARE NOT your local point. It always starts my directions from where I'm at, instead of what I'm trying to get directions for. I've tryed waypoint to waypoint and it still starts from my house.

0. Put the unit in Demo mode.

1. If your start and end points don't already exist as waypoints or addresses or POIs, create them.

2. Go to the main menu page and select "Routes".

3. Select "New".

4. Click on "Select Next Point", which brings up the "Find" page.

5. Get to your starting location from the Find page the way you normally would get to it.

6. Select "Use". This becomes the start of the new route you are creating.

7. Back at the Route page, click on "Select Next Point" again.

8. Identify your end point from the Find page just as before, and click "Use".

9. Click "Navigate" and "Follow Road".

10. Optional: you can now choose to simulate driving the route if you want to.

11. For the list of turn-by-turn directions, go to the Active Route page (assuming that you have it in your page rotation).

How do you change the unit so that you can look up directions for two points which ARE NOT your local point. It always starts my directions from where I'm at, instead of what I'm trying to get directions for. I've tryed waypoint to waypoint and it still starts from my house.

0. Put the unit in Demo mode.

1. If your start and end points don't already exist as waypoints or addresses or POIs, create them.

2. Go to the main menu page and select "Routes".

3. Select "New".

4. Click on "Select Next Point", which brings up the "Find" page.

5. Get to your starting location from the Find page the way you normally would get to it.

6. Select "Use". This becomes the start of the new route you are creating.

7. Back at the Route page, click on "Select Next Point" again.

8. Identify your end point from the Find page just as before, and click "Use".

9. Click "Navigate" and "Follow Road".

10. Optional: you can now choose to simulate driving the route if you want to.

11. For the list of turn-by-turn directions, go to the Active Route page (assuming that you have it in your page rotation).

I tryed this but it still starts the route from where I live, instead of the first waypoint that I selected?? What am I doing wrong?

I tryed this but it still starts the route from where I live, instead of the first waypoint that I selected?? What am I doing wrong?

I don't know :) ... I followed along all the steps on my HCx as I was typing them in, pikcing two random waypoints as the start and end points, and it worked for me. Are you sure you have the unit in Demo mode?

I tryed it again, I did just like you said. And even went back and cked for demo mode. I picked two waypoints, one in Tn. and the other Fl. It started the route from my house in Ky. I don't know??

I tryed it again, I did just like you said. And even went back and cked for demo mode. I picked two waypoints, one in Tn. and the other Fl. It started the route from my house in Ky. I don't know??

I just picked up my GPS to try it again, and I realized that the first time around, I was using my Vista C, not the Vista HCx! icon_smile_blush.gif

Let me find the HCx and I'll try it again... I wonder if they changed it from one model to the next?

I'll report back shortly.

I tried it on the HCx (for real this time), and I am seeing the same exact thing you are.

I wonder if they changed it on purpose, or if it's a bug?

Go to Demo Mode, then go to the Satellite screen, press the Menu button, tell it New Location, and Use Map. Then you can pick the location where you want to position yourself to start navigating.

I tried it on the HCx (for real this time), and I am seeing the same exact thing you are.

Go to Demo Mode, then go to the Satellite screen, press the Menu button, tell it New Location, and Use Map. Then you can pick the location where you want to position yourself to start navigating.

I'm trying that, but it's not particularly user-friendly. My route goes between two geocaches. I'm trying to find one of them on the map, but unfortunately I have two problems: (1) there are a ton of geocaches here, so it's not easy to find the one I randomly picked as the starting location just by panning and zooming, and (2) unlike the regular map, the one that is displayed for setting the new location doesn't show the lat/long of the cursor when you're panning around.

I'm trying that, but it's not particularly user-friendly. My route goes between two geocaches. I'm trying to find one of them on the map, but unfortunately I have two problems: (1) there are a ton of geocaches here, so it's not easy to find the one I randomly picked as the starting location just by panning and zooming, and (2) unlike the regular map, the one that is displayed for setting the new location doesn't show the lat/long of the cursor when you're panning around.

Well, you could select a spot that's near the start point, then create a route between the two waypoints that you want to navigate between. When you select Navigate on that route, it should navigate you from your current location to the first point, then navigate to the next point, which is the part you care about.

Well, you could select a spot that's near the start point, then create a route between the two waypoints that you want to navigate between. When you select Navigate on that route, it should navigate you from your current location to the first point, then navigate to the next point, which is the part you care about.

Here's what I tryed.

change to demo mode

turn satellite off

push menu button, then new location

choose USE MAP, automatic doesn't work in this case??whats it for anyway?

point to new location

then choose USE map

then from waypoint, choose second location and it works. I think??

Here's what I tryed.

change to demo mode

turn satellite off

point to new location

then choose USE map

I did my tests just in Demo mode, leaving the GPS receiver on. Auto would use your current satellite fix and would only be available if the GPSr was on. I'm not sure what you mean by your last point, though. With the route method, I created a route with two waypoints (which would be your two caches in this case). Then I used Demo mode and the map to tell it I was nearby the first waypoint. Then I went to the route I created and selected Navigate. I was trying to test routing (and I presume you are as well), so I chose Follow Road.

Hope this helps.

Here's what I tryed.

change to demo mode

turn satellite off

point to new location

then choose USE map

I did my tests just in Demo mode, leaving the GPS receiver on. Auto would use your current satellite fix and would only be available if the GPSr was on. I'm not sure what you mean by your last point, though. With the route method, I created a route with two waypoints (which would be your two caches in this case). Then I used Demo mode and the map to tell it I was nearby the first waypoint. Then I went to the route I created and selected Navigate. I was trying to test routing (and I presume you are as well), so I chose Follow Road.

Hope this helps.

Actually I was trying to help a family member who was on vacation and lost. If I use the pointer and zoom in on a city when in demo mode it thinks I'm there. There should be a way to do it without pointing to a city and using two waypoints?? after choosing AUTO