Garmin Colorado feature requests

I don't believe this is possible from what I've read, but wouldn't it be nice to open up the memory card to save regular waypoints?

The Custom Point of Interest feature is nice, but there are so many drawbacks to using it. For example, with the 60csx, I can't create a new CPOI without doing it through the computer; I can't just "mark" a CPOI. I can't use the unit's regular Geocaching feature with CPOI, having it switch icons to "found," etc.

Plus, CPOI only show up when you're zoomed in at the same level you'd find all of the other icons, like stores, restaurants, etc. I have my unit set so that those locations only show up when zoomed at the 800ft scale... it gets mighty cluttered when you try it at any greater distance.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure would be nice to be able to save an unlimited number of regular waypoints on the MicroSD card, and treat them as regular waypoints.

Can you customize what icons you see on the screen and eliminate some of the clutter? Perhaps set it so that you can only view caches?

How about the ability to automatically switch between two different map sets.

On road use the CN8

Off road use TOPO

Drive to the parking area to get the cache with the CN8 auto routing features and when you switch to Off Road the map switches to TOPO.

With the large memory cards now its easy to have the two different map sets in the GPS'r memory.

How about the ability to automatically switch between two different map sets.

On road use the CN8

Off road use TOPO

Drive to the parking area to get the cache with the CN8 auto routing features and when you switch to Off Road the map switches to TOPO.

With the large memory cards now its easy to have the two different map sets in the GPS'r memory.

THAT would be cool! And w/ the profile shifting, probably works that way now.

Norm

Edited by RRLover
...(Why not have a feature that auto-detects whether the unit is being held vertically or horizontally - and when it is held horizontally, the text both auto-adjusts to "landscape" mode AND gives the user an option to enlarge the text?
I don't need the unit to decide for itself whether it should be in vertical or horizontal mode, but I would like it to be switchable from one to the other. This would make the unit more useful in a vehicle.

I would also like it to be able to snap into a mount like the Quests do. This would allow verbal directions when autorouting.

The inclusion of these two features would make it the perfect geocaching GPSr, in my opinion.

Vertical works better in the car than horizontal. It's usually beneficiary to see more of where you are going and less of where you aren't going, than the other way around, as all the widescreen units offer.
I disagree.

I prefer horizontal while driving for a few reasons. First, I prefer my GPSr to be located on the dash in the center. Horizontal mounting keeps the unit from blocking the view outside. I surely wouldn't want to run over a child because my GPSr was blocking my view of him.

Secondly, horizontal mounting allows space for data fields to the right of the map. With vertical mounting, the data fields are pretty much constrained to the top or bottom of the map. This then takes away from your sole reason to leave the GPSr vertical and leaves the safety issue.

As the data fields are semi-transparent, they can remain and still give you an idea about what's behind them.

If you want to remove them, you have the full height of the display for good use.

There is no safety issue, as you describe it. The Colorado is not that large.

Hence, what you describe is at best equal, but usually inferior. Try it out, and you'll see.

As the data fields are semi-transparent, they can remain and still give you an idea about what's behind them.

If you want to remove them, you have the full height of the display for good use.

There is no safety issue, as you describe it. The Colorado is not that large.

Hence, what you describe is at best equal, but usually inferior. Try it out, and you'll see.

The Colorado is five and a half inches tall. Of course there is a potential safety issue.

We clearly disagree on the usefulness of horizontal viewing of the screen and that's fine, but I can't imagine that anyone could reasonably argue that an item five and half inches tall (well over six with a mount) could not cause a potentially disasterous blind spot.

I'd like to see added (in order of importance to me):

3-Axis Compass

Voice Navigation Prompts (Yes, I know about the challenge of making a waterproof speaker, but Garmin could put a speaker behind a rubber cover that you can peel back while in dry conditions.)

Increase Internal Memory for more waypoints, routes, etc.

Ability to upload Google/Yahoo/etc. satellite map photos to the unit.

Options to accept and blend together satellite signals from the European Galileo and Russian GLONASS systems.

I hope I'm not being too ignorant with my suggestions. :ph34r:

I think something that would really be useful is an emergency beacon. There is a company, SPOT, that you can purchase an inexpensive beacon with and pay a monthly service. You would have the option to pay for the service or not (like you do with Groundspeak for geocaching services). They would likely have no problem obtaining a partnership with the company and could charge a little more for the unit with one. I would be a wonderful addition for people wanting to go backpacking, or for those who travel far off coastal shores. I thought that we would be interested in the Colorado at first, but the paperless caching aspect fell short of our expectations for the price. If it had an emergency beacon, I would get it anyway.

We clearly disagree on the usefulness of horizontal viewing of the screen and that's fine, but I can't imagine that anyone could reasonably argue that an item five and half inches tall (well over six with a mount) could not cause a potentially disasterous blind spot.
Well, then it depends upon how tall you and I are. In my car, as I sit, the Colorado obscures the windshield wiper in its parking position only, and I don't consider looking at that as being important for the safety of my driving. Quite the opposite, actually.

Well, if I place it in the middle of the windshield, then of course, but the same would then apply to anything placed there, regardless of shape.

Well, then it depends upon how tall you and I are. ...
...and what vehicle you drive.

Either way, horizontal is much less likely to cause a problem.

On top of that, the simple fact is that I prefer horizontal viewing for street navigation. While you prefer vertical, your preference does not affect my preferance.

Edited by sbell111

you know what they say about opinions...

the same object laying vertical or horizontal still takes up the same amount of viewing space... it doesn't magically take up less space because its vertical or horizontal.

That is certainly true. However, objects that are less tall are easier to see over.

the same object laying vertical or horizontal still takes up the same amount of viewing space... it doesn't magically take up less space because its vertical or horizontal.

That is certainly true. However, objects that are less tall are easier to see over.

objects that are less wide are easier to see around.

your argument is moot.

objects that are less wide are easier to see around.

your argument is moot.

As anders mentioned, it doesn't block some people's view in some vehicles. Therefore, there is very typically some height that would no block view, no matter how wide it was.

It is not like either of us are advocating hanging the unit from our mirror, so the argument that it is the same size whether horizontal or vertical doesn't hit the mark.

Besides, this is a 'wish list' thread. If you don't like my wish, wish for something else.

Edited by sbell111

I've read through the posts, read several reviews. Sweet, but expensive little puppy.

What I don't see is an external power source. I like my 60c with the DC power connector, it allows me to use it for driving too, especially at night with the screen on all the time. I didn't see a car mount or an external power source.

I've read through the posts, read several reviews. Sweet, but expensive little puppy.

What I don't see is an external power source. I like my 60c with the DC power connector, it allows me to use it for driving too, especially at night with the screen on all the time. I didn't see a car mount or an external power source.

It takes external power through USB.

isn't it curious - just reading here (i have no C) and already missing some features:

*) 3axial-compass

*) turn of compass by user

*) no limit with waypoints, tracks and routes (just save it on the SD and read it from the SD again)

*) key lock (a feature which is implemented in every mobilephone)

*) screen-saver to save energy

*) routing with voice support

*) support for SDHC 8GB

*) Filecommander to switch between different gmapsupp.img (i like it to have some small files and not one large) performance and seek-function is better

It would be really awesome if GPSr's, cameras, and phone's could all talk with bluetooth with eachother. Imagine this..

You are out geocaching, you take a picture with your camera and it gets the coordinates from your GPS over bluetooth and tags your photo. You can then send the photo to your phone (over bluetooth) and email the photo to friends or post live on Facebook.

I've seen that the new Magellin has a camera built in. But, my cell phone has a better quality camera. I'd rather buy a few devices designed to do something really well, than one device that does everything really crappy. So I wouldn't mind carrying a GPS, camera, and phone that talk to each other. At least with the CO, you can hold cache notes so you don't need a palm. No, I don't want to carry a PDA and a GPS if the GPS can do everything related to geocaching well. :ph34r: