What kind of pen to sign logs with?

The "Space Pen" works very well. I believe they sell those at Office Depot or Staples. However, since they are a bit pricey, you don't want to leave it in the cache . . . B)

I use the little pocket-size Pilot pens. They work on all but the soggiest of paper. They are cheap enough that if I lose it or leave it behind, I'm not too upset about it. I just get out another one from the four-pack I bought. B)

Does anyone know of a good ballpoint pen that works on all types of paper? I seem to have problems sometimes signing certain types of paper.

I am very glad that you asked this question! It is most timely! We have a firm rule -- stated clearly and explicitly on each of our cache listing pages -- that finds will not be valid and will not be accepted unless the finder signed the logbook with an Aurora 85th Anniversary Limited Edition Red Marble Fountain Pen Fine Nib pen. One of several worldwide vendors who stock the pen is Montgomery Pens; and another is is the elite pen vendor Paradise Pen. Yes, it is entirely true that the pen lists for over $1,500 and retails for over $1,200 street price, but we invest a lot of effort and pride in our caches, and we expect only the highest caliber of top-drawer elite cachers to find our caches and to attempt to log finds on them, and if they cannot do it with a very large measure of sacred respect and holy reverence, frankly, we do not want their finds!

Incidentally, one reason that we have chosen the fine Aurora pen as the required pen is that its inner barrel cartridge is impregnated with millions of acrylic microdots (which infuse the ink) containing information on the manufacturer and model of the pen, along with a validation number, to allow certification and validation of entries made with the pen. Thus, via UV-VIS-NIR spectrophotometric microscopic analysis of the ink used for an entry found in the logbook, we can instantly determine if a log entry was truly signed with the required Aurora pen.

I have a Fisher space pen (bullet type) . Very small, fits in your pants pocket easily.

I don't lose it that way.

On the very low end , we've found that Pilot's G-2 and Uni ball's Signo (both rollerball gels) write on any paper, even wet.

One problem with the gel pens is, in cold weather, you'll have to let the log "air dry" a bit before putting it back or it'll smear.

Yet my favorite is STILL a fine-point Sharpie.

Does anyone know of a good ballpoint pen that works on all types of paper? I seem to have problems sometimes signing certain types of paper.

It depends on the location/elevation of your cache, but pens around me freeze and explode in caches, causing ink to come out all over everything… including your hands. B) A pencil will never freeze and most cachers carry a knife to sharpen it if need be. I go to stationary stores and get some bright colored pencils... just to spruce up the cache a bit. But pencils aren’t very good for writing on wet paper, so I guess we can’t have it both ways. I prefer to make sure my cache is water tight, and then supply a couple of sharp pencils. B)

Edited by Hobo2

I use the Uniball Power tank pens. They go for about $2 each but have pressurized ink that works on wet paper, unside down and in the cold. Much like the fisher space pens. Rite-in-the Rain also makes a nice pressurized pen.

This is the best bang for the buck.

I've ran trials.

Gel Pens write on the wetest paper but the ink runs.

The Power Tank will write on damp paper and the ink doesn't run.

Sharpies also work and may work better if the paper is so wet that it falls apart from the effort of writing. They won't wrinte quite as well on wet, but they get the job done without ripping the paper.

Pencils don't run (though some have said they do...go figure) and write when it's 40 below. They suck on wet paper though.

Fisher Space Pen works well if you don't mind spending $8 on a pen.

Wonder if those Rite in the Rain products would make good log books...

I typically use Rite in the Rain notebooks. The Northwest is to harsh for standard notebooks.

Tell me about it! I graduated from HS in Everwet! :lol:

I may have to get some of those for my future caches. You actually place them in caches then and field tested?

I typically use Rite in the Rain notebooks. The Northwest is to harsh for standard notebooks.

Tell me about it! I graduated from HS in Everwet! :lol:

I may have to get some of those for my future caches. You actually place them in caches then and field tested?

I used them exclusively in my first 30 cache hides. Great notebook and stood up well over the year's. Just too expensive in the long run though. As I replace the original logs I am using cheap 20 cent each notebooks.

I use mini-gel pens, Staples brand. I can't say how they act under adverse conditions, but they are small enough and cheap enough (about 12/$4) that I can carry a handful and replace dead pens and leave them even in small (though not micro) caches where there was previously no writing implement in the cache. They are capped, which should provide a little (though not total) protection from leakage. The cap reverses to make the pen longer and easier to hold while writing.

A lot of my log entries say "took a picture, left this pen".

Edward

Tell me about it! I graduated from HS in Everwet! :D

When I first started caching, most caches around here had them. I was quite impressed with their ability to hold the ink and not tear. Couple that with a pressurized pen or pencil (yes it will write when wet) and you're golden.

They work well unless your log will be wet and remain wet. They don't hold up then.

But ok, that's an issue with any log...so, outside of that, are they worth the extra $$$ in your mind?

In a cache? No. The photo's posted on this site some time ago showed that they actually deteriorate worse than standard paper if kept wet. For use as an all weather notebook. Yes they work well.

If I knew my cache was going to be wet all the time I'd make a logbook out of Adventure Paper.