Education Education Education

I've had a spate of 'Left TB, took nicest thing in the cache' logs recently. Could something about this bad behaviour be added to the Newbie Welcome Pack, or at least the 'What's a TB' bit of GC.com? I'm getting bored of sending very nice and polite emails to people :laughing:

Does anyone else have any suggestions how to deal with a problem which, from my perspective, is growing?

I remember when I started I got an introduction email from our reviewing team, I can't remember if that was when I created the account, or submitted my first cache.

Does that still happen? It would be a perfect way of communicating to the increasing numbers of new cachers the ins and outs of caching etiquette.

Recently I've found myself doing the opposite - taking a TB or coin, and leaving a nice bit of swag!

S. Paul,

I think you said it in your title's first three words.

I'm very new at this (2nd week) and today I took my first travel bug. BUT I had taken the trouble to find out about Geocaching and it's associated 'features' so there's no concept of hanging on to the wee beastie. I think it's quite exciting to become part of the chain and to read about it's travels to date.

Jazz666,

I don't think there's any introductory email - or if there is, I misfiled it - I get inundated with spam unfortunately :(

There's a very good PRIMER IN TRAVEL BUG LOGGING over in the Travel Bug section of the Main Forum.

About half way down it says...

"A TB is not a trade item, you do not have to put something in the cache to take a TB, and you should not take something from a cache in trade for a TB. You should take something from a cache, place the TB and a trade item."

Unfortunately, many cachers don't discover the Geocaching.com Forum until they've have been caching for months (and many manage to cache very happily without ever seeking The Enlightenment of this place :laughing: )

I don't think there's an easy solution. :anicute:

MrsB

Despite this being a major problem this information is well hidden. I remember when we started not being sure about this, so I hunted out the information - and it did take some hunting out.

When signing up some basics should be given to the newbie. Not too much, but this should be included. I have put fewer and fewer swaps into new caches as I'm fed up with the contents disappearing or dwindling to rubbish.

Having said this, I don't think it would make much difference as we put this image on most of our caches and we still constantly get the logs you speak of.

020f2780-0245-4678-84d6-ba3ef1e0a3cb.jpg

I remember when I started I got an introduction email from our reviewing team, I can't remember if that was when I created the account, or submitted my first cache.

Does that still happen? It would be a perfect way of communicating to the increasing numbers of new cachers the ins and outs of caching etiquette.

Recently I've found myself doing the opposite - taking a TB or coin, and leaving a nice bit of swag!

It was a feature created for the UK Reviewers by Teasel and which was sent via the G:UK account on GC. I'm not sure that this is longer possible due to changes to both G:UK and GC, as each one had to be sent via the contact a member facility on GC. If I remember right it was sent after G:UK registered a member had made their first find on GC.

Ahh yes, now I remember.

Maybe it's something for Jeremy and the team to tackle, currently signing up a new account just takes you to a form, so perhaps they could add a "before you get started" link to help educate folks before they find their first cache.

I too have suffered from having new cachers taking my trackables, only to never play the game again - including one that is needed for a series, that cost me £15 to make!

020f2780-0245-4678-84d6-ba3ef1e0a3cb.jpg

I like this idea. Less abrupt than red writing across the cache page.

Not everybody has the printed out page with them, advising them what to do with swaps/TB's, so how about turning this into a sticker for inside the box lid or on front of the log book.

Now how do I make stickers? B)

Edited by perth pathfinders

We've been caching for just over a year & done 1100.

We're probably fairly representative - got a young family & don't get time to read rules properly. I daresay many other new cachers are similar. I didn't know the rules

So we make it up as we go & apply common sense.

These being, if the cache had 5 items in when we arrived, we'll leave it with 5 items in.

If the kids take a bit of treasure out, they have to replace it.

If we take a TB or coin out we replace it with another.

Occasionally we take a TB & leave a bit of treasure in its place if we have no TBs in our bag.

We'd never take a bit of treasure & leave a TB.

I understand the rules but surely the overriding objective is for a cache published with 5 items in to keep 5 items in throughout its life? Whether those items are TBs / coins or whatever?

stonefielders wrote:

I understand the rules but surely the overriding objective is for a cache published with 5 items in to keep 5 items in throughout its life? Whether those items are TBs / coins or whatever?

No, sorry, but that's not the way it is...

Trade items are quite distinct to TBs and coins, etc. Yes, if a cache is published with 5 trade items in it then it would be nice to see it remain with 5 (or more) trade items in it throughout its life, but with TBs it's different. You aren't expected to leave anything in place of a TB - just take it if you can move it in the right direction. Likewise if you leave a TB you shouldn't be taking a trade item - you're just helping the TB on its way.

(Edited for grammar).

Edited by Bill D (wwh)
stonefielders wrote:

No, sorry, but that's not the way it is...

Trade items are quite distinct to TBs and coins, etc. Yes, if a cache is published with 5 trade items in it then it would be nice to see it remain with 5 (or more) trade items in it throughout its life, but with TBs it's different. You aren't expected to leave anything in place of a TB - just take it if you can move it in the right direction. Likewise if you leave a TB you shouldn't be taking a trade item - you're just helping the TB on its way.

(Edited for grammar).

Yup seems fair enough

Jane & I like finding the TBs & coins.

So applying the rules of common courtesy, I expect cachers to put in a TB & coin if they take one out.

Some TB hotels have dozens of TBs in them. On the basis of the rules I've heard, I'd be within my rights to clear the box of everything.

I dare say a lot of people wouldn't be too happy with me though.

Rules? :) There are no 'enforceable' rules.

But the logic I apply that if I go to a cache site and there is a TB / coin there, I take it. I try not to hang onto TBs and coins, not because I am particularly studious geocacher, but because I make a bit of a habit of misplacing things. :) And if I ain't got em, I can't misplace! :) Therefore if I were to go to a cache wiht TBs and if I were to apply Stonefielders approach (sorry Stonefielder, not a dig, B) just an observation) those TBs would not move. Being a TB and coin owner myself, I like to see the things move.

If I went to a TB hotel and it was full of coins and TBs I would take a few. Move them on. But I would not clear it out. I wouldn't take the 'best' ones. I'd take the ones that hopefully have tags on explaining what their mission is and I'd see if I could help.

I think the problem is that the 'rules' do say "Sign the log and if you take something, leave something." There are links to FAQ and intro stuff when people join but they include the "take something leave something phrase" - hence why people don't know that TBs/coins are different.

The 'rules' do need changing to include something like ".... except if it's a TB or a coin." (Which of course means another link to explain what they are!)

Most people probably do try and get it 'right' and work out how this geocaching thing is supposed to work. They aren't helped when there's a huge exception to 'take something, leave something' which isn't mentioned.

to be fair, just want to put the opposite spin on this.

Picture the scene (or try to)

You join caching.com and read through the guidelines and come to the part "if you take something, leave something".

Cool you think, a way of getting rid of all the Mcdonalds tat in my house!

Off you go to your first cache. Low and behold there is a TB in it! COOL!

You take it. log it and read about it.

The following day you go out again, reach the cache and find a great swap best thing in the box! You place TB and retieve your new found enjoyment toy!

I dont see the problem with this!

You have taken something, placed a TB (which could have cost someone £5 for the tag + whats attached to it) and retrieved something of equal value!

So applying the rules of common courtesy, I expect cachers to put in a TB & coin if they take one out.

Some TB hotels have dozens of TBs in them. On the basis of the rules I've heard, I'd be within my rights to clear the box of everything.

I dare say a lot of people wouldn't be too happy with me though.

I believe completely the opposite. If we all replaced a TB by a TB every time then only the same few caches will ever hold TB's. I like to take from one cache and then drop one off in a different cache to share the TB's around. No cache has the right to be a TB cache over any other cache. The idea of swapping TB's being common courtesy is wrong. The cache doesn't have any rights over the TB (unless it's a resident trackable). The cache has rights over it's trade items only.

I recently picked up 12 TB's from one cache. I can't see that the TB owners are going to be unhappy at this (I certainly wouldn't be if it was my TB or geocoin) and they're the ones that matter, not a cache owner who has sometimes hi-jacked a whole bunch of other peoples trackables to put in his own cache. I also distribute the TB's more evenly giving more people the chance to find one.

I cache pretty much every weekend so I can get the TB's moving quickly - which is what they are supposed to do. :o

I recently picked up 12 TB's from one cache.

Fair enough pick up one or 2 but dont you think that 12 is overkill and a little greedy?

Cachers (such as myself) who live locally to a cache - not that particular one, could log on and travel down to retrieve a TB for themselves only to find that the last finder cleaned out the cache.

I can see that TB's want to travel but to clean out a cache of all its TB's and coins i think is greedy

A tale from a TB hotel.

A tb was dropped off on the 16th or 17th of December.

Four or was it five ?more cachers have visited the cache since. All swapped out TB's apart from one that was left there on the 16th or 17th.

Is that fair to the TB owner ?

Nope. TB hotels do sometimes have a purpose, near airports for instance for TB with a mission abroad, although I would think twice about taking a teddy from one and traveling to Bagkok :o But getting a TB in your cache should be the luck of the draw.

I can see that TB's want to travel but to clean out a cache of all its TB's and coins i think is greedy

Who said anything about cleaning out all the TB's in the cache? We left a couple there (I'm not sure why I was guilted into it) and left one we had brought with us in case someone else visited that day. The cache has been visited once since our visit a month ago, so where as we distributed all the TB's within a week most would still be sitting there now. One final point is that the owners have restocked the cache with another 13 trackables.

It is a real problem that some people think it's greedy to help TB's which someone else has hi-jacked. No wonder some get stuck for months in the same cache. :o

to be fair, just want to put the opposite spin on this.

Picture the scene (or try to)

You join caching.com and read through the guidelines and come to the part "if you take something, leave something".

Cool you think, a way of getting rid of all the Mcdonalds tat in my house!

Off you go to your first cache. Low and behold there is a TB in it! COOL!

You take it. log it and read about it.

The following day you go out again, reach the cache and find a great swap best thing in the box! You place TB and retieve your new found enjoyment toy!

I dont see the problem with this!

You have taken something, placed a TB (which could have cost someone £5 for the tag + whats attached to it) and retrieved something of equal value!

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning and the exact sequence you are suggesting. I think there are a couple of potential problems depending on exactly what you mean:

It seems to convert McD tat into the 'best thing in the box' worth £5+

Or nothing is traded for the TB at the start, so 'nothing' is being converted into the 'best thing in the box' worth £5+ Neither option being trading fairly (depending on your view of McD toys!).

But either way, the second cache gains a TB and loses a great swap. The next person along is likely to take the TB and move it as they are supposed to do, without swapping anything for it. At this point the cache is a 'great swap' down. If it happens a few times soon nothing is left, as SP started this thread by saying.

Maybe what you suggest might work if everyone treated a TB or coin as a swap, (which they kept swapping) but the two systems don't work side by side as there is a net loss of swaps in a cache.

Swaps are also available for you to keep when you've taken them home - if you swap something for what to you is a great shell, say, then you don't have to place the shell in the next cache you visit. People who don't understand what travelers are may also keep them rather than log them and help them travel. Sometimes TBs seem to either disappear shortly after new folk visit or get held up for ages until they learn what a TB is about. The dog tag doesn't seem to guarantee that they log it.

The problem seems to me that the basic 'rules' date back to the dawn of geocaching, but since then travelers have been invented and the basic 'take something/leave something' concept hasn't been updated to reflect it, hence the apparent confusion for new folk. Yes, the info is there, but not in the stash notes or the FAQ list.

Anyway, it's interesting that there is a range of views even among more experienced folk. :D

Thank you for echoing my thoughts 100%, martlakes. To make the problem clearer, there's a cache that asks for a piece of slate to be left in it. A new cacher visits, leaves a piece of slate and takes a TB, as this is what they've been told is the thing to do. At my cache, they leave the TB and take a tool kit. In effect they've swapped a found piece of slate worth nothing for a tool kit worth £more. Gurr.

I used to think like lathama, that the 'net' effect on caching if TBs and coins are treated as swaps is nothing. However, the effect on any one cache can be to empty it. That's the bottom line and that's why I'd like to see the 'rules' of TBs/coins and swapping made much clearer on GC.com. The 'should I take this TB/these TBs/this coin/these coins' from any given cache is another issue, and one with more complex pros and cons. An issue for another thread, perhaps?

Edited by Simply Paul

Interesting discussion. I'm fairly new to caching, and I spent a considerable amount of time reading the FAQ and other guidelines on geocaching.com, but I was not aware that TBs were to be treated differently from swaps (other than their having a 'mission' of course.) So till now I've just swapped them as I would anything else.

To be honest, other than geocoins and TBs I've only ever seen what could (politely) be described as plastic junk in caches to date anyway.

Interesting discussion. I'm fairly new to caching, and I spent a considerable amount of time reading the FAQ and other guidelines on geocaching.com, but I was not aware that TBs were to be treated differently from swaps (other than their having a 'mission' of course.) So till now I've just swapped them as I would anything else.

To be honest, other than geocoins and TBs I've only ever seen what could (politely) be described as plastic junk in caches to date anyway.

I am new too and I also spent lots of time looking and asking questions. Although I did realise that coins and bugs were different I have to admit.

I have to agree though that every one of the 9 caches I have found have contained plastic toys, shells, bits and bobs of little or no value (infact I kept all the things from christmas crackers this year as they seemed to be appropriate!)

Because of this, I presumed that the swapping of items was included to give the kids something to do if you took kids with you. i would never have expected to find anything of value sitting in a tupperware box. I have only ever swapped one item and I did leave something much nicer than I took, however I don't know it's value or the value of the item I took home. With this in mind I had decided that infuture I would leave little gifts in caches (especially those that were a bit empty) and expect nothing in return.

On the other hand, i have found two caches recently, 1 so full of stuff it was like Hamleys and the other had some giant plastic toy in it that made it impossible to shut the lid. I did consider removing this item just for the good of the cache, but as I had nothing to swap, i thought that I shouldn't.

it is down to education. But I also think that it is 'nicer' to sometimes give the benefit of the doubt and not always presume that someone is out to steal the stash from the cache (ooh poem there!). It is most likely a genuine mistake.

for me it is the fun of the find, the fresh air and discovering new places, the contents of the box is of little interest.

Edited by The Booklady

This made me laugh. I just saw this on a recent local log by a newbie.

"Left a sticker and took a metal pencil sharpener." I guess it's better than "took log book". :laughing:

Don't joke about it, we had the log book taken from one of ours ;):lol: , and it was one from a popular cache that had been out a few years so the log book was well used.

Clearing a cache of swaps and TB's seems a bit unfair on other cachers. We're fairly new to the game but always try to trade up or even and often just leave something to help fill the cache especially if all it contains is 'plastic tat'. Found a useless car park ticket in one today!

Edited by St Erth Cachers

Clearing a cache of swaps and TB's seems a bit unfair on other cachers. We're fairly new to the game but always try to trade up or even and often just leave something to help fill the cache especially if all it contains is 'plastic tat'. Found a useless car park ticket in one today!

According to the rules being quoted, you can clear a cache of the 10 TBs it has, leave nothing, and feel like you're doing the TB owner a favour moving it on.

This omits to consider the poor cacher who follows you expecting to find a hoard of TBs to trade

Would he consider you to be greedy? I would.

Personally I'm disappointed when the previous visitor has moved on the TB & not left another TB.

Sometimes it can't be helped

However I'd say in 9 times out of 10, when I take a TB, I leave a TB

Furthermore I only leave Geocoins in multis or puzzles or in remote trads to stop these saddos nicking them from caches. Like to see them pinch the coin I left on the top of Scafell Pike last weekend :laughing:

One caching team (was it Mark and Lynn?) posted a really nice 'trade even/no broken toys' type notice to put in caches which I printed off in various sizes and stuck in all my caches with very strong glue. Then I discovered that someone had removed a couple of them ;)

I've had really short 'Took TB's and torch, left nothing' types to 'made special trip so I could exchange TB's'. However, the amount of stuff people take has put me off placing more large caches. I was tempted to place a TB hotel in a secure place as my county has fewer TB's circulating than say neighboring Nottingham, but I wasn't sure if people would be happy with this so I didn't.

If I come across large amounts of TB's now in a cache I just write down the numbers of the ones I like and log them as discovered, swapping over one or two. I discovered recently that some newbies don't know they can do this, so perhaps print off a polite notice to put in the lid of your cache to remind people that they should trade even, exchange TB's or simply note the number as 'discovered in cache'. I can't cache as often as I would like at the moment so 'discovering' TB's is quite useful for me :ph34r:

Now we are very new but the understanding of how it works is not a difficult context to grasp ( i suppose it lies in the same region as common sense and common decency)

Our understanding is Take something... leave something... Help travelers on there way! don't mess up the cache and give it some first aid if its injured.

Why is that so difficult or is the 'find a cache take everything leave nothing find another' going to reflect the way society at large is progressing.

Ooops sorry getting heavy there.

Any way we understand and I think we will enjoy it.;-)

The initial entry to this topic was...

I've had a spate of 'Left TB, took nicest thing in the cache' logs recently.

So the 'problem' appeared to be cachers thinking that they had to trade a TB (or coin) for anything else in the cache as part of the 'take something/leave something' ethos.

Then we get into the realm of people who think that to take a 'trackable' then you must leave one.

Personal opinion here, but what complete garbage. Following that logic, a cacher must buy their own TB/coin before they can enter the exclusive club of trackable swappers.

I agree that the main details of how to geocache on the geocache.com pages are not the most 'Plain English' pages that are to be found, but then we are dealing with an American thought process, not a British one. What seems odd to a Brit can seem perfectly logical to someone the other side of the pond and vice versa (and I now live and work in Nevada, so I encounter being separated by a common language all the time).

The simple fact is that a geocache may contain items that are for swapping, however this does not include Trackables which are a completely separate activity that is linked to geocaching.

As to the caches that are not 'TB hotels' but contain more than 2 or 3 TBs, it has to be asked which cachers are just adding to the collection instead of moving them on? There is obviously an exception to every rule, so PLEASE, nobody come back with a comment like 'I had to put 8 TBs in a cache because I was going into hospital for 6 months', but why are people not moving TBs on when they find them? Is it because they are frightened of taking it home and finding out they have taken it in the oposite direction from its stated objective? If that is the case then the owner should put a label on it giving instructions.

If someone finds a cache stuffed with TBs, then takes a lot of them to move on, they have to be praised for helping out the owners by getting them on the move again. The people who kept adding to the pile without moving anything are the ones that are making a problem... To quote the website

Use the Golden Rule when you find a Travel Bug. Most owners would rather see their travel bugs do a lot of travelling, so try not to hold on to a travel bug for too long...

and...

Travel Bugs are tracked with the help of users who go online and "grab" them from caches, or receive them from users. No mention of swapping trackables, because that would be a foolish concept, as I've already said, it would require a cacher to 'buy in' to the trackable scene to get started.

What we need to cure all the diverse aspects of this thread is some 'Plain English' rules to geocaching, but unless it appear on geocaching.com, it is worthless. Vast numbers of cachers do not even read that website fully, let alone discover all the others, like this one.

:blink::P:)

A change to the Search page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/) might help.

The link to the rules (which is sort of broken but see below) is right at the bottom of the page, completely off screen.

I appreciate that if it was at the top, once you know the rules, the link and text get in the way of searching.

With current HTML methods, it'd be simple to move its position from the top for an Advanced user, or for <insert BIG HINT here> paid up members.

The rules link says this

Help! How do I locate a cache?

If you are new to the sport of geocaching, we have a guide on finding your first geocache. Happy hunting!

It could, given the advanced toggle system I suggest, include the basic rules - in plain English!! - at the top for new, or unpaid-up people

In any case, linking to a "this page has moved" isn't helping and WORST of all is the fact that the page, should you have bothered with two links and a huge amount of reading says this:

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Couldn't that say something like

Usually you take an item and leave an item of at least equal worth. Some items, travel bugs and geo-coins, are special and travel from cache to cache, you don't swap or keep those but place them in the next suitable cache you find...

Check the search instructions for yourselves here.

I got rather miffed by this (to my surprise) when I swapped something nice into a small cache and discovered it has been taken and a travel bug left in its place. It's not my cache but I put it there for someone to trade, not just take away. The person who owns the cache is one item down which is a problem as it is only big enough for 2 or 3 bits anyway.

I am very new, but the trading/ bug and coin moving sides of it all seem to me to be the simplest thing about geocaching!

To be honest, it's what I expect. I think most people would agree that we leave our caches well stocked. In fact, I won a particularly well stocked Ammo can at Christmas - things in it included electronic games, a calculator and the like. So far, I think most of the logs have been along the lines of "Took Electronic Game, Left football figure".

I grumble and move on (and restock from time to time).