So the question that is asked all the time

PCIJOHN

Sorry to ask again but I have a Nuvi 360 for car nav and love it, but I now have to get a handheld for geocaching only. My question is what for the money is best. I have noticed the cheapest ones (Etrex) still use serial for connection to PC, is connecting to PC useful if so then what is the best priced USB unit for geocaching only.

Thanks

If you want a good, but inexpensive GPS unit that connects to your computer with USB, check eBay for the discontinued Legend C or Vista C. I think you can get either one of those for less money than one of the newer Garmin 'H' units that connects with the USB port. Those are good GPS units, but they don't have the new High Sensitivity receiver. They can accept Topo (or auto-navigating maps) and hold 500 waypoints.

If you want a good, but inexpensive GPS unit that connects to your computer with USB, check eBay for the discontinued Legend C or Vista C. I think you can get either one of those for less money than one of the newer Garmin 'H' units that connects with the USB port. Those are good GPS units, but they don't have the new High Sensitivity receiver. They can accept Topo (or auto-navigating maps) and hold 500 waypoints.

So are you saying the Vista HCX is the choice being I have the NUVI 360 to get initially in the car to the destination and worth the extra money for the new features. I also do not want to regret my purchase

Thanks I appreciate the help.

I am new to this and don't want to buy a second unit right away once I realize I should have for some other reason

I have the Vista HCx, but I also still have my trusty Vista C, which works great. If you cache in an area where the reception is not good (forests, canyons, high buildings), then getting a newer Garmin with the High Sensitivity receiver is probably the best thing to do. If you can get by without the High Sensitivity receiver, you can save $100.00 by getting the discontinued Legend C (or Vista C) instead.

So are you saying the Vista HCX is the choice being I have the NUVI 360 to get initially in the car to the destination and worth the extra money for the new features. I also do not want to regret my purchase

Thanks I appreciate the help.

I am new to this and don't want to buy a second unit right away once I realize I should have for some other reason

You and I are in exactly the same boat. I, too have a nuvi 360 that I could never see myself taking into the woods to geocache so I asked the exact same question you did. After reading many threads I narrowd my choice down to the Vista hcx and the GPSmap 60 csx. After much deliberation and advice, I ordered the Vista which should be coming tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. Good luck with yours.

OK

I would like to buy my GPS this weekend so I can get started.

After all the reading I have a few more questions or confusion

Remember I have a NUVI 360 for the car so I believe I need no mapping.

The questions are what is the main difference between the HC and the HCX and what for geocahing is a better unit the Legend, Vista or Venture. That is the real confusing question because on Garmins website when you compare them against the features they list they are exact so what is the difference and which best serves my needs.

Sorry but I think I hurt my brain trying to understand this but I can't

:o

OK

I would like to buy my GPS this weekend so I can get started.

After all the reading I have a few more questions or confusion

Remember I have a NUVI 360 for the car so I believe I need no mapping.

The questions are what is the main difference between the HC and the HCX and what for geocahing is a better unit the Legend, Vista or Venture. That is the real confusing question because on Garmins website when you compare them against the features they list they are exact so what is the difference and which best serves my needs.

Sorry but I think I hurt my brain trying to understand this but I can't

:o

Am I correct in saying that the "x" in HCx means that the unit has a micro SD card slot, which means the HC unit does not have expandable memory? I remember reading that somewhere.

That is correct. For more than two years I used a GPS unit that only had 24 MB of memory and it worked just fine for me because I don't travel outside that area except occasionally. The thing that made me upgrade to the Vista HCx was 1000 waypoints, vs. only 500 in my Vista C. Now that I've played with the info in the "Silly Garmin POI Tricks" thread, I'm finally using the card to its full potential. :o

Geez, if you don't need mapping at all you can save a lot of money by buying an older unit as Miragee suggests. My Magellan eXplorist just died, so I'm using my old Garmin 12XL. It has no maps, but was probably one of the sturdiest GPS units ever made. It gets awesome reception and and the batteries last something like 24 hours (though there are 4 of them). I'm not saying to get a 12XL (which was serial), they would be hard to find anyway, but you can look for a "new old stock" USB unit that only has an arrow and holds your waypoints.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Geez, if you don't need mapping at all you can save a lot of money by buying an older unit as Miragee suggests. My Magellan eXplorist just died, so I'm using my old Garmin 12XL. It has no maps, but was probably one of the sturdiest GPS units ever made. It gets awesome reception and and the batteries last something like 24 hours (though there are 4 of them). I'm not saying to get a 12XL (which was serial), they would be hard to find anyway, but you can look for a "new old stock" USB unit that only has an arrow and holds your waypoints.

Parsa

Thanks that answers the HC and HCX question thanks!

How bout the difference between the Legend, Vista or Venture

Thanks in advance

What is the difference between the Summit, Legend, Vista or Venture Garmin's site is not really clear. Is one better for this than the other?

Thanks in advance?

I think I figured it out

The Summit HC is essentially the same as the VIsta HCX without auto street mapping and card slot. Being that I have the nuvi 360 is the price difference worth it between the 2 for me? will I run out of memory on the Summit using it only for geocaching?