Adoption Rules

You *can* change anything you like, but I feel you should try to keep as much of the original cache as you can. I'd add your name to the 'set by' link, while keeping the setter's name there too, thus: A cache by The Wotsits, maintained by ForsdykeFinders. Moving a cache for reasons of safety certainly makes sense, but I'd avoid changing names as this can confuse past finders who may log the cache again in error.

There are guidelines on this, which say you should keep as much original content as possible and credit the original owner. Having said that, it is now your cache to do with as you please.

I've adopted 3. Two of which barely needed touching, but the third needed a fair bit of tidying up. It's really up to your judgment.

I agree with the other comments. I'd leave the basic flavour of the cache as it was, but if you feel you can improve, just add your own secret herbs and spices! :laughing:

I'd adopted 6 now. Most I've done nothing but the one at the summit of Snowdon was the one I tweaked (added my herbs and spices!) the most. This was because it was rated as 5 difficulty and 5 terrain. Yes, its a walk up a mountain (for those who don't 'cheat' and take the train :anicute: )but its certainly not a 5/5. So I brought the rating down. The other thing I did was make it a REQUIREMENT to write in the log book and I've threatened to delete logs that don't tally with the log book. I was fed up of people finding obscure bits of plastic on the paths and claiming it as a find when I knew the cache would be fine.

But the other caches I've just refreshed, said I've repaired them or whatever. The titleI just tweaked to read something like "An old cache by RetiredCacher (adopted by scottpa100)" and left it at that.

I'd add your name to the 'set by' link, while keeping the setter's name there too, thus: A cache by The Wotsits, maintained by ForsdykeFinders.

Sound advice. I know of a least one adopted cache where the original cache-setter's name has been deleted, thus giving no credit to the actual cacher who originally placed the cache! B)

Minor point

If the original setter used an alias it can start to get a bit odd

For example:

Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter GC14CWJ

Was originally set by PopUpPirate under the alias 'Metal Eddie' to keep it themed and the setter's link would go through PuP's profile page. No problem there, but it now says:

A cache by Metal Eddie (Adopted by ayepee) as it should be (to maintain the Iron Maiden theme but there is no indication who the original setter is.

Do you see what I'm saying?

But if it said:

A cache by PopUpPirate (Adopted by ayepee) it would spoil it.

As the original setter of the above cache, with the alias how it is is fine, though putting "This cache was originally set by PopUpPirate aka Metal Eddie" would be nice.

I'm happy for Mr Aypee to call it "by Aypee" or "by Metal Eddie (PopUpPirate) (adopted by Aypee)" or "by some ruddy pirate numpty" - doesn't REALLY matter does it. Would be nice to have the listing maintained in its current form and hidey hole though wouldn't it. However, I'm grateful for Ayepee to have taken it over and if he decides to archive it, or move it 10 miles away up a mountain, then I would still be happy. That said, I've got all me adopted caches on a watchlist so it's not like they are ignored - far from it.

Whether Metal Eddie would concur is another matter entirely B)B)

790ff3ed-b815-4799-a505-a13bcb752036.jpg

Edited by PopUpPirate

Minor point

For example:

Was originally set by PopUpPirate under the alias 'Metal Eddie' to keep it themed and the setter's link would go through PuP's profile page. No problem there, but it now says:

A cache by Metal Eddie (Adopted by ayepee) as it should be (to maintain the Iron Maiden theme but there is no indication who the original setter is.

But if it said:

and if it said" A cache by Metal Eddie, originally placed by PopUpPirate, and now adopted by ayepee" that would make for an awfully long name! lol

Minor point

For example:

But if it said:

and if it said

" A cache by Metal Eddie, originally placed by PopUpPirate, and now adopted by ayepee" that would make for an awfully long name! lol

Could be abbreviated to "A Cache by ME, originally placed by PuP, and now adopted by AP" B)B):P:P