PC does not recognize Magellan Triton 500

SwissTeam

After months of waiting, I finally picked up a Triton 500 at REI. The very first thing I wanted to do is to update the firmware, but my PC and Laptop would not recognize the Triton 500. I have the latest version of VP installed, changed the settings on the Triton 500 under USB connection to "VantagePoint". Nothing worked! Now am I missing here something or which I do not hope, is this an issue with my brand new GSPr?

Has anybody else experienced the same issue? Any suggestions, besides returning the device? Thanks in advance!

After months of waiting, I finally picked up a Triton 500 at REI. The very first thing I wanted to do is to update the firmware, but my PC and Laptop would not recognize the Triton 500. I have the latest version of VP installed, changed the settings on the Triton 500 under USB connection to "VantagePoint". Nothing worked! Now am I missing here something or which I do not hope, is this an issue with my brand new GSPr?

Has anybody else experienced the same issue? Any suggestions, besides returning the device? Thanks in advance!

I had the same issue w/ my sons Triton 300. I called Magellan and they wanted me to send it back to them. His did not communicate right out of the box either. I would make sure the drivers installed for starters. The drivers are installed from the Triton disc that came with the GPSr in the package. Then make sure windows is recognising the GPSr by looking under the drives list under My computer. Someone here may have overcome this issue. I had to send mine back as it smelled like burnt wiring and it would not do a number of things.

I know they are having some issue communicating through Vista operating system. If you are using XP,

when you are in connectivity-Vantage Point, make sure you hit escape on the unit, and it seems to be recognized then.

A great place for info is www.tritonforum.com Lots of useful information is there.

I know they are having some issue communicating through Vista operating system. If you are using XP,

when you are in connectivity-Vantage Point, make sure you hit escape on the unit, and it seems to be recognized then.

A great place for info is www.tritonforum.com Lots of useful information is there.

My PC and Laptop with XP SP2 do not even recognize that there is anything attached when plugged into the USB. So, the hardware wizard won't work since it can't see anything new attached.

You know, you hear all the stories from so many people about the Triton series and one thinks that these are just single cases and you think it aint gona happen to me ...

I now they are not "perfect" yet, but thought I will deal with it since I was sure that future firmware updates would solve all the issues, but if your PC does not even recognize that anything new is plugged in, then all the firmware updates won't do you any good. :anicute:

I have been having the same issues with my Triton 200, and Windows Vista x64.... the proper drivers are not available and the 2 can't communicate. Now the guys over at Tritonforums are saying that there is supposed to be a patch out this week to remmedy this.... but we shall wait and see.

It sucks because the basemap is utter crap..... my house shows up as being in the Atlantic Ocean.... which I assure you it is not!! :laughing: I have maps here to upload, and the two aren't talking... blah.

...You know, you hear all the stories from so many people about the Triton series and one thinks that these are just single cases and you think it aint gona happen to me ...

That was me, I sent it back to Amazon.com for an exchange. I wanted to give it another try. But the e-mailed me the next day and said they did not have any more and Magellan was not shipping any new ones right now, so I took the refund they suggested. My son in the mean time had his christmas present for 2 hrs, and then yanked out from under him. I own an eXplorist 500, and think I may get him an eXplorist 400 instead. I have all the Maps already. I even have a spare Li battery for him.

I'm having the same FRUSTRATING problem with mine. I originally bought the eXplorist 500 a few weeks ago only to find that there was no way that I could get the driver installed on Windows Vista 64-bit. And downgrading my OS is NOT an option.

They just sent me a Triton 500 as a replacement, and I was excited. Just got it a few hours ago only to find that no matter how hard I try, I still cannot get the driver to install. I'm very savvy when it comes to tweaking drivers and installations, but this one just will not work. As usual, Magellan's Customer Service is completley useless. It would be nice if the people who answered the phone A.) Spoke English properly (preferably as their 1st language), and ;). Didn't ask a question, then put me on hold for 5 minutes while they asked someone else.

Anyone else had any luck with Vista 64-bit and their Triton?

I spoke with Magellan today and after telling them I didn't want a Triton and them telling me that they can't send me a 500LE for long enough, they are sending me a 1500 with a car charger, car mount and power adapter. I was still hesitant of accepting this, they even waived the shipping after that.

I'm hoping that this is going to work out. I still have mixed feelings...

I am the technology coordinator for my school district, so I am very comfortable with computers. I never could get my Magellan Triton 200 to connect to my computer (XP). In the end it didn't matter - it froze up so I took it back to Wal-Mart & got a Garmin. I didn't even mess with tech support, since when I had trouble registering (the folks at Magellan kept insisting my address doesn't exist, even though the government assures me every year at tax time that my address does indeed exist!) I finally registered my post office box as my home address. Those kind folks at Magellan were satisfied that I was happy living in my little p.o. box and were very glad they could help me out with my problem. I never did figure out just what they did to help me register - especially with the glowing customer satisfaction letter they sent me!