PPC = Speaker / Colorado = Beeper

TexasGringo

Since it was a question about the Garmin Colorado...

Someone asked if The Colorado could play sound:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=181406

Jeremy Replied:

It just has a basic piezo speaker, I'm afraid. It's hard to have audio capabilities on a durable unit. At least that's my understanding of it. We create sounds in Wherigo Player with sequences beeps using frequency and duration values.

I need to find some early game developers to figure out some good tunes to share for these experiences.

So, I am asking:

Since the Colorado can not play sound files...will you have to create 2 versions of a cartridge for people that have a PPC and people that have a Colorado?

If you created a Wav for the PPC...what happens if someone puts it on the Colorado...would it just beep or do nothing...or crater?

So, I am asking:

Since the Colorado can not play sound files...will you have to create 2 versions of a cartridge for people that have a PPC and people that have a Colorado?

If you created a Wav for the PPC...what happens if someone puts it on the Colorado...would it just beep or do nothing...or crater?

The GWC file format has the capability of storing "alternate" versions of a media resource (like a sound or an image) alongside the "primary" version. This allows a cartridge to contain both a WAV and an FDL (what we call the sound files for the Colorado) for the same sound resource. This means that you, the cartridge author, do not need to provide multiple versions of the same cart. Of course, you _do_ still need to provide multiple versions of the same media resource, but the Wherigo Linker and "just-in-time" creation capabilities of the Wherigo web site do all the work of creating an appropriate GWC file for the type of device the user has.

If a user happens to play a cartridge on a Colorado device that has only WAV files in it for sounds, the user simply will not hear anything. The Wherigo Player application on the Colorado is smart enough to know that it cannot handle that media type and so it just ignores it. The is true for the Windows PPC version of the Player application: since it does not support the FDL sound format, it will simply ignore those if that is all that is present in the GWC file.

Hope this helps some.

-peter