Anyone know what this object is?

StumpWater

OK, I'm so outdated. Firetacks used to be regular tacks with a reflective head. When did geocachers update to a cubic style tack?

Well, I am not as "old school" I am sure, but the last time I looked into them, which would've been almost a year ago when I learned about them, the site I found had these 3D triangle and square shaped types. Think it was a hunting supply site...

I like the triangular ones better for my night cache. Placing a flat side toward the approaching cacher reflects the light right back at him so he finds the route to the cache easily, but that puts the other two sides angling down and up, both away from his flashlight beam and eyes as he attempts to find his car. Cache difficulty 2 ... finding car afterward .. priceless.

Edited by edscott

It's a Borg thing. :rolleyes:

I've seen the pyramidal ones but these cubical ones seem way cool.

These are so stealthy that they are usually impossible to see in the daytime. I did a night cache in the day and got 1/2 mile in never once seeing a 'tack' and half way back to the car saw one of these.

It helps the stealthiness of these to only have one every 100 or more feet instead of on every tree like other night caches I've done.

Once seen never forgotten...

The 3d and 4d tacks may be a little better, but I use fat-headed roofing nails and reflective tape. The tacks cost upwards of $.40 each, making even a short trail expensive. My $2 box of nails and $10 roll of tape will last me through miles of trail marking and the tape comes in black which is totally unfindable from more than five feet away in daylight, even if you know where it is.

AK

The 3d and 4d tacks may be a little better, but I use fat-headed roofing nails and reflective tape. The tacks cost upwards of $.40 each, making even a short trail expensive. My $2 box of nails and $10 roll of tape will last me through miles of trail marking and the tape comes in black which is totally unfindable from more than five feet away in daylight, even if you know where it is.

AK

You got a linky to the tape?

Edited by piscatore

Wow! Thanx, guys. In my bow hunting days, sooo-o-o many moons ago, the flat tacks were all we could get. I like the idea of the 3D and 4D ones, now that I've had a look. 110104_emM5.gif You can rest assured that some of these are on the way into my caching bag in preparation of The next Team Magic hide. 567.gif

Oh, please send me an actual 4 dimensional alien artifact.

I think you mean 4 sided. sigh!

AK

I can't find the site I bought the roll from (I originally got it to mark my mailbox five years ago.) But I found This marking kit by doing a search for "black reflective tape" on google.

AK

AK

I can't find the site I bought the roll from (I originally got it to mark my mailbox five years ago.) But I found This marking kit by doing a search for "black reflective tape" on google.

AK

Cool, thank you AK.

Edited by piscatore