Mystery at Gray's Lake

egami

I put a new story up on our blog that explains the whole story.

Just curious if anyone has ever run across anything similar in their travels. Don't know exactly what it is yet. We are going to maybe write a letter to place in it, but there isn't a stamp of any kind, so I am thinking it's not a letterbox.

What other interesting things have you found out while caching?

Edited by egami

Just curious if anyone has ever run across anything similar in their travels. Don't know exactly what it is yet. We are going to maybe write a letter to place in it, but there isn't a stamp of any kind, so I am thinking it's not a letterbox.

Did you get the coordinates? If so, you could post it on Waymarking.com. There's a Wee Folk Fairy Doors category and this one fits in perfectly. Check out the page, you'll be surprised that your mystical find isn't the only one out there. Gray's Lake is very similar to Mr. Little Guy in Minneapolis - he actually writes back to children that leave questions.

Did you get the coordinates? If so, you could post it on Waymarking.com. There's a Wee Folk Fairy Doors category and this one fits in perfectly. Check out the page, you'll be surprised that your mystical find isn't the only one out there. Gray's Lake is very similar to Mr. Little Guy in Minneapolis - he actually writes back to children that leave questions.

Yeah, I saw your reply in the other forum, if you look at the blog I posted a picture, but I also captured the point on my GPSr...I'll have to learn how to post it on Waymarking. Never posted on there yet...was going to do that this weekend. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe that is exactly what this is...

Edited by egami

There's one very similiar on the Columbia Trail, in High Bridge, New Jersey.

Hard to spot, unless you're a cacher !

It's called a "gnome home." - As per the tupperware container inside.

Sorta letterboxing. We left a note in it (No one responded), asking what it's all about.

Groundspeak would have a fit... Leather hinges for the door nailed (brads, actually) into the tree.

Well, that seems like what the deal is...it was approved on the Waymarking site for that group.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2XK9

Thanks again for pointing that Waymarking category out.

You're welcome. Thanks for posting it there, it makes an excellent addition.

No problem, gave me a great excuse to spend some time checking out Waymarking in general. Had been meaning to anyway.

I've seen another thread about this door in here before, maybe 6 months+ ago. Someone found it while caching and then the article you cite came out about it. Glad to see the park will let it stay. Looks like a lot of work went into it.

Yeah, I actually link to that particular thread in the blog. That thread is in the Great Plains forum. Someone mentioned the thread to me at an event. Since it didn't seem like anyone had yet determined exactly what it was I was going to swing by after work some night, but since we were having 40+ degree weather I decided to take the kids this weekend and look into it.

We're going to try to write Seamus a letter and see if he responds to us.