eTrex Venture Cx

casey97

Before I put it on eBay I thought I would offer my GPSr to cachers first. Here is a breakdown of the unit:

Garmin eTrex Venture Cx with the latest firmware downloaded.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=410

The unit comes with a 1 gig card and approx 60% of the United States installed from MetroGuide North America, v7. (Nov 2007). The portion of the US installed is as follows:

Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

The MetroGuide has MetroGold installed with it to allow the unit to do turn by turn directions.

http://www.geodude.nl/gps/modules/smartsec...m.php?itemid=18

MetroGuide has tons of Points of Interests (POI) and will give you turn by turn directions to addresses you enter, intersections you enter, preprogrammed restaurants, fuel stations, hotels/motels, shopping, bank/atms, entertainment, recreation, attractions, community interests, hospitals, transportation and auto service. These preprogrammed POI’s have the addresses, coordinates and phone number of each establishment. I have searched for the nearest restaurant using the category list which is broken down by American, Asian, Barbecue… The phone number is listed on the POI's so you can call in advance if your heart is set on BBQ in the boondocks, and you want to make sure they are open.

Since purchasing the unit (Christmas last year), it has had an Invisishield on the screen. The unit comes with the above mentioned installed software, Invisishield, 1 gig card, USB cord and the original Garmin books.

I am selling the unit because I was blessed this Christmas with a Garmin Vista Hcx and a 2 gig card (which now has all of US and Alaska on it). I am asking $150 for the unit shipping included. Please contact me or post here if you have any questions, I will give the unit a week or so here before placing it on eBay.

Edited by casey97

Casey,

I'd like first dibs on your unit... got any pictures? I'd also like to get a better understanding of the MEtro Guide, as I'm not familiar.

Would this unit be OK for geocacheing AND turn by turn car naviagation (for wife)?

Thanks,

Joe

I have used it primarily for caching. The turn by turn will get me to the caches easily. I have used the turn by turn and not found a problem with it. However, it only beeps for upcoming turns and like all other handheld gpsrs the screen size hinders the usability for navigation. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send pictures. As far as MetroGuide, it is a program which allows turn by turn on your PC but did not allow it on the GPSr unit. MetroGold is a program invented to allow the turn by turn feature to be turned on for the GPSr. Here is a link to Metroguide 2008 (ver installed is 2007):

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSour...etroGuideNT.jsp

Since you are new to caching, please talk to a local cacher to verify this is a good deal.

As far as dibs go, I take paypal and will send you a req for payment to your e-mail address as soon as you want me to.

Edited by casey97

If the unit is not paid for by Monday, then it will be available again. The maps and turn by turn would be useless in Australia since the installed maps are for the US. I would suggest a unit with no additional maps installed (ie only the base maps), that way you are not paying for a feature you would never use.

Before I put it on eBay I thought I would offer my GPSr to cachers first. Here is a breakdown of the unit:

Garmin eTrex Venture Cx with the latest firmware downloaded.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=410

The unit comes with a 1 gig card and approx 60% of the United States installed from MetroGuide North America, v7. (Nov 2007). The portion of the US installed is as follows:

Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

The MetroGuide has MetroGold installed with it to allow the unit to do turn by turn directions.

http://www.geodude.nl/gps/modules/smartsec...m.php?itemid=18

MetroGuide has tons of Points of Interests (POI) and will give you turn by turn directions to addresses you enter, intersections you enter, preprogrammed restaurants, fuel stations, hotels/motels, shopping, bank/atms, entertainment, recreation, attractions, community interests, hospitals, transportation and auto service. These preprogrammed POI's have the addresses, coordinates and phone number of each establishment. I have searched for the nearest restaurant using the category list which is broken down by American, Asian, Barbecue… The phone number is listed on the POI's so you can call in advance if your heart is set on BBQ in the boondocks, and you want to make sure they are open.

Since purchasing the unit (Christmas last year), it has had an Invisishield on the screen. The unit comes with the above mentioned installed software, Invisishield, 1 gig card, USB cord and the original Garmin books.

I am selling the unit because I was blessed this Christmas with a Garmin Vista Hcx and a 2 gig card (which now has all of US and Alaska on it). I am asking $150 for the unit shipping included. Please contact me or post here if you have any questions, I will give the unit a week or so here before placing it on eBay.

I may be interested. I have been looking at the idea of getting a new modle. I don't have alot to spend, but on the other hand if I upgrade my thoughts are that i should do it right. I compared 4 eTrex models and liked the Vista HCx best. What is the differences between the newer HCx and the one you have?

I don't always get onto these forums much so if you need to, you can e-mail me at hcvagasky@aol.com.

Thanks.

First and foremost the reception. High sensitivity makes a difference. Second the magnetic compass is worth the money. When going to a cache with non compass unit the unit looses where it is unless you walk a few steps and then the arrow will point correctly. The magnetic compass always points towards the cache even if you are standing still.