Question on a multi?

swizzle

I visited a cache that gave the clue to follow the arrows. Me and my wife searched on 2 occasions before she finally spotted the arrows that we were looking for. It was a simple pencil drawing of an arrow on a rock in a stone wall that pointed towards the cache. There was one on each side. I was thinking about setting up a multi on a boulder field and titling it "Boulder Dash". I was just wondering if it would be acceptable to write the coords on the boulders. It doesn't stick out, you wont see it unless your looking for it and I wouldn't have to worry about missing parts. So what do you guys and gurls think? Good idea or not? Swizzle

Writing can wash away unless it's done with something indellible. Boulders would have to be large and not precariously balanced so as to not move your arrow around.

I've visited caches similar to what you suggest. But your description seems to describe a small boulder field. How many arrows are you going to place? Are they more than about 30 feet apart (GPS accuracy issues...)?

I'd suggest you re-read this section of the guidelines:

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Setting up a cache that involves writing on boulders would not be acceptable.

The listing guidelines say that reviewers may quickly archive "Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method."

If you disclose the nature of what you're doing in a "Note to Reviewer," expect to have your submission questioned carefully. Some of the questions I ask are "can you remove these markings without leaving a trace?" and "what does/would the land owner think of these marks upon seeing them?"

If you do not disclose the nature of what you're doing in a "Note to Reviewer," expect to have your cache "quickly archived" if a complaint is received, or if the reviewer seeks out your cache while geocaching.

I can understand the defacing property. The pencil markings wouldn't be arrows, they would be the actual coordinates to the next boulder. The coords would probably be no bigger then an inch by 3 inches at most and very inconspicous. I look at defacing property more in the lines of spray paint on a cliff face or a large boulder or tree, ect... This boulder field is on public lands. I figured that the pencil would be better for the enviroment as well. Having people knowing what they are looking for would keep them from tearing up moss and lichens and such during their search. I'm pretty sure the pencil could easily be erased off of the boulders in a matter of seconds. The boulders that I would be using would be too large to move and none are precariously perched. I'm already loving the feedback. Thanx guys. Swizzle

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this but I would like to see some discussion on it and maybe a revision to the guidelines. I've been to areas that have very obvious damage from people pulling moss and tearing up the scenery. In an enviromently sensitive area where caches are allowed then would you rather search for a small pencil mark or move around all of the torn up chunks of moss and broken off chunks of boulder in search of a popular cache? I think the pencil would have a far less impact on the enviroment then a well hidden micro. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks. My other idea is to place a small rock (from my house) next to or on the boulder itself. Swizzle

OK - I vote no change to the guidelines. Keystone is a reviewer and had had his hand in the different revisions of the guidelines - I think he is also clear.

I would strongly recommend a different method for getting coordinates to the next stage. Count something. Add something else. Find a container, use an offset from that point - something.

Would there be a problem with bringing a rock from home to write the coords on? I'm not trying to get around the guidelines and I won't place a cache against the guidelines. If everyone is in agreeance that the guidelines shouldn't be changed then thats fine with me. I know there are plenty of ways to hide a cache. I just might have to get more creative. Would it be different if it was on private property with full permission of the landowner? Swizzle

1. I don't foresee the guidelines changing on this point. Avoiding graffiti is pretty important.

2. If you hid a cache with graffiti coordinates, but with the permission of the land manager, I'd ask for the contact information and pass that along to Groundspeak so they could have a conversation. That's the same procedure I follow for caches that are buried with permission.

3. Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to stamp a tag, laminate a card, etc.?

As far as I know there is no land manager for this area. Its all public hiking and public lands. Does anyone know of any special guidelines for the Adirondacks of NY? I now there's no caches above the tree line to avoid damaging the sensitive flora on the mountain tops but other then that I don't think there's any special restrictions. Swizzle

As far as I know there is no land manager for this area. Its all public hiking and public lands. Does anyone know of any special guidelines for the Adirondacks of NY? I now there's no caches above the tree line to avoid damaging the sensitive flora on the mountain tops but other then that I don't think there's any special restrictions. Swizzle

Depends if the land is managed by the NYSDEC, the APA, or another agency.

Your best bet is to first find out the classification of the land in question.

Forest Preserve, State Forest, Wildlife Management Area, Conservation Easement, etc.

Forest Preserves, and State Forest areas have further breakdowns into what types of land they are, and who manages them.

I dont like the Idea to much although in cites defacing is called artwork .

Perhaps if you claim some ethnic background you be allowed to do as a object of self expression.

Heck do it with spray paint multi colors .

One thing that is so nice if you sit down on a random rock somewhere enjoying the view and you look down and see in very small letters "Tina loves Alex 11/27/92 "

I know I like that .

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this but I would like to see some discussion on it and maybe a revision to the guidelines. I've been to areas that have very obvious damage from people pulling moss and tearing up the scenery. In an enviromently sensitive area where caches are allowed then would you rather search for a small pencil mark or move around all of the torn up chunks of moss and broken off chunks of boulder in search of a popular cache? I think the pencil would have a far less impact on the enviroment then a well hidden micro. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks. My other idea is to place a small rock (from my house) next to or on the boulder itself. Swizzle

Neither. Just my .02

Most boulders are overed with lichens. Rubbing an eraser around would damage the lichens.

This is one reason there are guidelines: what you assume ain't necessarily so.

All public land has a manager. Sometimes far more active than others, sometimes so inactive they can be hard to locate. But the buck always stops somewhere.

Edward

I visited a cache that gave the clue to follow the arrows. Me and my wife searched on 2 occasions before she finally spotted the arrows that we were looking for. It was a simple pencil drawing of an arrow on a rock in a stone wall that pointed towards the cache. There was one on each side. I was thinking about setting up a multi on a boulder field and titling it "Boulder Dash". I was just wondering if it would be acceptable to write the coords on the boulders. It doesn't stick out, you wont see it unless your looking for it and I wouldn't have to worry about missing parts. So what do you guys and gurls think? Good idea or not? Swizzle

B) Hey, if was me, I'd like it. Most muggles are oblivious, do not notice stuff. D'ya know those caches that are disguised as sprinklers? Seriously, I'v'e walked up to real ones, trying to take them apart, thinking, "OK, this is located more than .10 miles, maybe this is a cache, and I'll be FTF but it is a real sprinkler. Hmmmm I'm a cacher, I kinda think like one, and there you are.