The ultimate Swag, thanks to geocaching

I recently posted a note about "Whats up with paperless caching" , and I was convinced that this is the way to go. So trying to save a little I went on freecycle.com and asked people in my area that I was looking for a palm pilot or p.d.a. of any brand even if ancient. I got a responce withen 3 days a lady said she has had one a while back that she found in the back of a cab, that she never knew if it worked, but she would drop it off if I was interested. She did and I had no idea when it was in a brown envelope what it would be. Could of been from 1980s. When I opened it up to my surprise it was a sprint treo 700wx palm!!!! I went down to the sprint store and got a charger for it and it came right up. I told myself that if the last calls were made withen 3 or 4 months, even though I paid 20 dollars for a charger and a uploading/downloading cord, I would try to contact the owner and get it back to him or her. Once it was fully charged, I looked at the last calls maid and they were over 1 year ago!!!!! From what I could tell the phone had no major buisness information that was important in it or media files and it looked like a company issued phone so I guess thats it. Sence the lady that gave it to me CLEARLY stated that she even ran an add in a local paper about the phone being gone, I feel my concence is releaved. I think im convenced im going to keep the Palm and reformat it, but what do you think just to doulble check, what would you do?

I recently posted a note about "Whats up with paperless caching" , and I was convinced that this is the way to go. So trying to save a little I went on freecycle.com and asked people in my area that I was looking for a palm pilot or p.d.a. of any brand even if ancient. I got a responce withen 3 days a lady said she has had one a while back that she found in the back of a cab, that she never knew if it worked, but she would drop it off if I was interested. She did and I had no idea when it was in a brown envelope what it would be. Could of been from 1980s. When I opened it up to my surprise it was a sprint treo 700wx palm!!!! I went down to the sprint store and got a charger for it and it came right up. I told myself that if the last calls were made withen 3 or 4 months, even though I paid 20 dollars for a charger and a uploading/downloading cord, I would try to contact the owner and get it back to him or her. Once it was fully charged, I looked at the last calls maid and they were over 1 year ago!!!!! From what I could tell the phone had no major buisness information that was important in it or media files and it looked like a company issued phone so I guess thats it. Sence the lady that gave it to me CLEARLY stated that she even ran an add in a local paper about the phone being gone, I feel my concence is releaved. I think im convenced im going to keep the Palm and reformat it, but what do you think just to doulble check, what would you do?

Hi mr b,

i think after a year, the original owner has pretty much written it off, specially when they are almost obsolete by then :rolleyes: , congrats on your new Palm :(

If you are still concerned, call the nubmer that is assigned to the phone. People that lose phones generally don't change their numbers when they replace them. If the number is good, ask the person who answers if they lost a phone and if they can describe it, do they want it back.

After over a year, it is doubtful. But I would take at least that one step just to have peace about it.

You might also want to take it down to your local constabulary and ask them to run it for stolen. That MIGHT be better than being arrested at the Sprint store should you try to have it activated and it is listed as stolen. Might not too...

Personally, i have mixed feelings about the advisability of taking questionable property to the police. This is because there have been several stories of late regarding "good Samaritans" being arrested when they innocently try to turn in something that they have found and it turns out to be stolen.

it would be my hope that there are very few cops in this world who do not have sense enough to understand that innocent people do indeed sometimes come into possession of stolen objects, but i can personally account for this once happening to a very close relative. He turned in a credit card that he found on the roadside and was arrested for possession of stolen property.

Word is going around that In NYC the police are running an entrapment scam like this on the subways... they leave a wallet on the seat and arrest anyone who picks it up if they do not hand it to the first uniformed officer they pass.

i am happy for your good fortune and i hope you can keep it and use it. But as for myself, i really like to have receipts for everything of substantial value that i possess as much as humanly possible. I guess I'm just paranoid that way.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

If you are still concerned, call the nubmer that is assigned to the phone. People that lose phones generally don't change their numbers when they replace them. If the number is good, ask the person who answers if they lost a phone and if they can describe it, do they want it back.

After over a year, it is doubtful. But I would take at least that one step just to have peace about it.

You might also want to take it down to your local constabulary and ask them to run it for stolen. That MIGHT be better than being arrested at the Sprint store should you try to have it activated and it is listed as stolen. Might not too...

Personally, i have mixed feelings about the advisability of taking questionable property to the police. This is because there have been several stories of late regarding "good Samaritans" being arrested when they innocently try to turn in something that they have found and it turns out to be stolen.

it would be my hope that there are very few cops in this world who do not have sense enough to understand that innocent people do indeed sometimes come into possession of stolen objects, but i can personally account for this once happening to a very close relative. He turned in a credit card that he found on the roadside and was arrested for possession of stolen property.

Word is going around that In NYC the police are running an entrapment scam like this on the subways... they leave a wallet on the seat and arrest anyone who picks it up if they do not hand it to the first uniformed officer they pass.

i am happy for your good fortune and i hope you can keep it and use it. But as for myself, i really like to have receipts for everything of substantial value that i possess as much as humanly possible. I guess I'm just paranoid that way.

Say there, could you please post links to those stories wrt good samaritans getting arrested because they were trying to return stolen goods that they did not know were stolen? I'd like to see the follow up on those incidents.

Outrageous beyond belief. I mean, I believe you, it's just outrageous.

Edited by Team Cotati

Say there, could you please post links to those stories wrt good samaritans getting arrested because they were trying to return stolen goods that they did not know were stolen? I'd like to see the follow up on those incidents.

Outrageous beyond belief. I mean, I believe you, it's just outrageous.

Here is a link to the NYC subway scam.

I got that with one click on Google. Originally I heard about it on talk radio.

The personal story was my brother-in-law and to the best of my knowledge it never made the papers. My father-in-law spent a goodly sum of money on a lawyer and he got off, but not without spending a couple of days in jail and a serious fight in court. I didn't hear if he got the arrest removed from his record.

I am a big fan of law enforcement and a believer in doing what is right to help one's fellow citizens, but this world is certainly getting scary with the prevalence of mandatory sentencing, zero tolerance and whatever other "must handle it this way" laws and rules are being foisted on us that mandate people in authority CANNOT use their brains in a given situation.

I sincerely HOPE these types of situations are RARE but with all the goins on in the world today where one could be attacked by a "bad guy" or a "good guy", one sometimes has to ask "do i feel lucky today?" when considering doing a kindness for someone.

Edited by Confucius' Cat