Proposed 2008 TB race

Discombob

Well, its seems QFC has decided that as I was traitorous enough to flee the country, I have to make amends by planning the next TB race.

This is a duplicate of my post on the 2007 TB race forum thread.

Right, I've managed to figure it all out, except the precise point values to be supplied.

- I propose the race starts on 1Feb, to allow time for TBs to be prepared. Unless you folks think its more romantic to start on Valentines day?

- TBs must be new ones which have not travelled. New geocoins will also be accepted in the race. Owners may label or tag their TBs with race info as they see fit.

- TBs can start at any cache of the owners choosing (In South Africa only), and can end anywhere.

Expats such as Bats, John_gill, etc may enter a TB, but this needs to be posted to a cacher in SA for release.

- Tbs can go anywhere in the world

Points will be given for the following:

- distance travelled in 20km units (a jump less than 20km doesn't count)

- per cache visited. These will be further broken down into type of cache, with reg getting few points, then multi, then puzzle and virtual, then earthcache, then webcam getting top points.

- Per terrain and difficulty star rating.

- per country visited. The countries will be broken down into 4 groupings, each worth different points.

Country groupings currently are:

- group 1 - USA, UK, Australia,

- group 2 - Canada, NZ, Western Europe, Ireland, Swaziland, Lesotho

- group 3 - Eastern Europe, Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana

- group 4 - Africa, central and South America, Middle East, Asia (including Russia and ex-states)

- extra points will also be given if a TB visits a cache on an FTF

- Extra points will be given if a TB visits a cache with a certain word in the title. I have a list of 50 words to use. I won't list them all here but examples are mountain, river, giant, gold, time, North etc.

- TBs can make multiple jumps with the same cacher, but will only be awarded the points for the highest value cache and single distance of the journey. The other points will not count.

- owners can move their TBs 10 times during the race, but any points they get for that distance, terrain rating etc will be halved. Owners may not do multiple hops though. The owner may not remove the TB from the starting cache either.

- Points generated from the starting cache value will count, and will not be halved, so choose your starting cache well.

- Extra points will be given for the 5 best photos logged on the TB page. Owners to please send their applications to me near the end of the race if they think they have a great photo.

- At my discretion, I might award points for the cutest TB or flashest coin, based on the main home page photo. (I will probably not be entering the race)

- Sympathy points will be given to TBs who stay in one cache or with a cacher for 1 month or more with no activity

- If Tb gets muggled, sympathy points will accumulate every month for rest of competition!

So thats it. No head chopping, unless theres just too many TBs, and I'm feeling lazy!

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions or feedback? How many people would want to enter a racer?

" - owners can move their TBs 10 times during the race, but any points they get for that distance, terrain rating etc will be halved."

I would say that owners of an TB in the race may not move any racing TB'S

"Owners may not do multiple hops though."

I hope it gets better administered than the previous race.

Edited by The Huskies

OUCH!! :rolleyes: There isn't a hope in hell that I will be able to get a TB to you before 1 February.

Will any other proposals for ex-pats be considered such as a TB leaving our country and then heading directly to SA? If a TB may travel OUt of SA, then surely it can travel IN? :(

What do others feel about this one?

cincol

Huskies, Yes, maybe 10 is too much, but I think owners should be allowed some influence.

How about 3 or 5 times?

Or how about if owners can move their TB unlimited times, but they get no points for their move or cache they drop it in.

I think owners should be able to move other TBs. If lots of cachers enter, then who is going to move the TBs if they can't?

Perhaps to prevent too much group caching bug hopping, points will not count if any cacher has moved a TB more than 3 times.

And huskies, tsk tsk, are you casting aspersions on the previous race moderators?

Cincol, how about by Valentines day then?

And you don't want to get it to me, as I live in london. You'd have to choose another cacher in SA.

Also, it doesn't really matter if your TB arrives late in the country. That just means it gets less racing time.

I don't mind if it starts in another country, but it would need to end in SA then, and you can't get points for your starting country. It would depend on what the locals have to say.

I'm happy with Valentine's Day! I will get a TB to Gauteng for my brother to place on my behalf - I'm sure he will take part as well. :drama:

My 2 dirhams worth on the moving of TB's by owners. Allow an owner to move their own TB ONCE only [nominated move] with no restrictions or penalties incurred. Thereafter they will score ZERO for moving their own TB. Let me explain a bit further. I have a TB in the race and in July I decide that I am going to Canada. I will then "nominate" my move, collect my TB from wherever it might be and take it to Canada. Any moves that I made prior to the Canadian trip, and any thereafter, will then be void. This will stop cachers who might be regular overseas travellers from hiking their own TB all over the world at company expense vs another cacher who may never get the opportunity to travel overseas. OTOH, good luck to anybody who can recruit a regular traveller to get their TB's to travel with! :ph34r:

I really look forward to this little exercise as it adds a different dimension to your TB's. There was a similar "race" recently from the Arabian Peninsular to the US and back that didn't work too well. Only 5 TB's entered and 3 never left even got to the US! :anicute:

BTW Discombob, I thought you were in Cape Town as that is what shows on your profile. Hope you are enjoying the weather in Blighty - we are having the most fantastic winter weather here currently with 15'C in teh mornings through to 26'C at midday. What more could we ask for? Rain!! :sad:

Awaiting some debate on this with anticipation.

Happy caching

cincol

Edited by cincol

I foresee a scenario where race TB's travel in a group, so one person can take the whole lot a long distance. That sounds unfair to me. Or that race owners collaborate and take groups of TB's around the world. I would say owner's moving TB's or TB's moving in groups should be avoided for fairness.

One could do all sorts of skelmpies like have a pre-arranged event cache or drop&retrieve where a bunch of TB's are passed on.

Then again - getting the most out of the rules can be part of the fun.

Edited by the pooks

I foresee a scenario where race TB's travel in a group, so one person can take the whole lot a long distance. That sounds unfair to me. Or that race owners collaborate and take groups of TB's around the world. I would say owner's moving TB's or TB's moving in groups should be avoided for fairness.

Pooks

I would agree with you to a certain extent but ask this question - "Why would a cacher want to take other TB's on a trip?" :sad: That would only compromise his own TB clocking up mileage [kilometerage?]. If I was going on a trip I certainly wouldn't take the opposition with me! Self preservation is the name of the game here! :ph34r:

I do agree with you vis-a-vis the event caches and drop & retrieves though. Somehow Discombob will have to keep a tight control on them as that could create some "unfair advantage". :anicute:

All in all it looks as though this could be fun watching how the race develops. After all, the Dakar Rally has been cancelled so we need something else to follow! :drama:

cincol

There isn't a hope in hell that I will be able to get a TB to you before 1 February.

I have three unactivated TBs in my possesion. Someone overseas may "buy" the TB and I wil forward you the activation code and will then add something to the TB on your behalf.

Contact me directly if anyone overseas would like to do this.

My 2 dirhams worth on the moving of TB's by owners. Allow an owner to move their own TB ONCE only [nominated move] with no restrictions or penalties incurred. Thereafter they will score ZERO for moving their own TB.

Once sound ok. Multiple moves by a group of cachers should not be allowed. :anicute:

Edited by The Huskies

Well, its seems QFC has decided that as I was traitorous enough to flee the country, I have to make amends by planning the next TB race.

This is a duplicate of my post on the 2007 TB race forum thread.

Right, I've managed to figure it all out, except the precise point values to be supplied.

- I propose the race starts on 1Feb, to allow time for TBs to be prepared. Unless you folks think its more romantic to start on Valentines day?

- TBs must be new ones which have not travelled. New geocoins will also be accepted in the race. Owners may label or tag their TBs with race info as they see fit.

- TBs can start at any cache of the owners choosing (In South Africa only), and can end anywhere.

Expats such as Bats, John_gill, etc may enter a TB, but this needs to be posted to a cacher in SA for release.

- distance travelled in 20km units (a jump less than 20km doesn't count)

- per cache visited. These will be further broken down into type of cache, with reg getting few points, then multi, then puzzle and virtual, then earthcache, then webcam getting top points.

- Per terrain and difficulty star rating.

- per country visited. The countries will be broken down into 4 groupings, each worth different points.

Country groupings currently are:

- group 1 - USA, UK, Australia,

- group 2 - Canada, NZ, Western Europe, Ireland, Swaziland, Lesotho

- group 3 - Eastern Europe, Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana

- group 4 - Africa, central and South America, Middle East, Asia (including Russia and ex-states)

- extra points will also be given if a TB visits a cache on an FTF

- Extra points will be given if a TB visits a cache with a certain word in the title. I have a list of 50 words to use. I won't list them all here but examples are mountain, river, giant, gold, time, North etc.

- TBs can make multiple jumps with the same cacher, but will only be awarded the points for the highest value cache and single distance of the journey. The other points will not count.

- owners can move their TBs 10 times during the race, but any points they get for that distance, terrain rating etc will be halved. Owners may not do multiple hops though. The owner may not remove the TB from the starting cache either.

- Points generated from the starting cache value will count, and will not be halved, so choose your starting cache well.

- Extra points will be given for the 5 best photos logged on the TB page. Owners to please send their applications to me near the end of the race if they think they have a great photo.

- At my discretion, I might award points for the cutest TB or flashest coin, based on the main home page photo. (I will probably not be entering the race)

- Sympathy points will be given to TBs who stay in one cache or with a cacher for 1 month or more with no activity

- If Tb gets muggled, sympathy points will accumulate every month for rest of competition!

So thats it. No head chopping, unless theres just too many TBs, and I'm feeling lazy!

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions or feedback? How many people would want to enter a racer?

Sounds like a lot of work!!! Lets hope your free time lasts the entire year.

With regard to leaving the country: Noddy has had a separate race running for the last two years where bugs had to start in the UK visit a second continent and return home.... They are yet to return. B)

DBob, let me know when the rules and finalised and I will put together the race page that you can administer.

Yes, I agree, that sounds good.

Owners can do one move and get full points, and any future moves by the owner will not get any points.

I suppose otherwise owners could take overseas, allow someone to move once, and then bring back for double points.

I've worked the points system out to try and not make it that a big overseas jump will add massive points. however, it must be enough so that people are keen for their TBs to travel overseas, and that way trying to minimise too much direct involvement.

I agree that the story of multiple hops from a big caching group is not great, but I don't really think its going to be that easy to police too effectively, unless anyone has any great ideas.

How about if we added a rule saying that any cacher may only move 1 TB 3 times in the whole race, and thereafter points don't count? Or perhaps any second move by the same cacher in the same month will not count to points. That might help minize multiple group hop drops.

I've also been thinking that it is not really that critical for the TB to be a brand new one. If someone doesn't have a new TB, it should be alright for them to nominate a TB already travelling in SA. What would happen then is that the points and distance will just start accumulating from Valentines day, wherever the TB may be.

Cincol, the weather in blighty is not too bad. In the last month it has rained less here than it has in Summery Cape Town, and when it rains here, its fairly light normally.

With regards creating an event, who can complain about that - another event cache can't possibly be a bad thing B)

QFC, thanks for the concern. I tested scoring the points for the top 2 TBs of last years race, and it didn't take very long do do the whole year, so I am not too worried.

I have a TB in Noddys race. I didn't know no one had returned yet. Thats why I am not having any official end points, as that can drag on a bit!

DB

I am certainly waiting in anticipation for the final rules to be published. B) I like the idea of exisiting TB's being allowed to enter. That will allow more people to take part, assuming that their TB's are in SA at the time of the start. It will be bad if you nominate a TB and then it get picked up and moved out of South Africa on 13 February!! B)

Are you going to restrict the number of TB's per cacher? :P Maybe a maximum of 2 per cacher?

Getting ready to roll.

cincol

Ooops I double posted. So I will share an interesting thing i came across the other day.

I read about this article in the paper about how bad drinking alcohol is for you. I scared the hell out of me. I decided there and then that it's over, I am giving up reading for good. :rolleyes:

Back to finding that Bug for my tag.

Edited by Wazat

Forsooth, I started work yesterday, so I'll allow this week for further comments on the rules and finalize them this weekend.

Well, Cincol, I suppose the number of TBs allowed per cacher might depend on how many people want to take part.

Ill leave it at 2 per cacher for the moment.

Well, the rules and points are finalised (unless I've forgotten something), with some additions to try minimise too much collusion.

I'm not sure what to call the race, so 25 points go to the person who comes up with the best name!

Here are the rules:

- Race starts on Valentines day (14th February 2008) and ends 13 Feb 2009

- Entrants may be brand new TBs, or ones already in the field, as long as they are still in SA. Geocoins will also be accepted in the race.

- Owners are required to email Discombob their entry names and links by 13th Feb.

- Owners may label or tag their TBs with race info as they see fit.

- TBs can start at any cache of the owners choosing (In South Africa only), and can end anywhere in the world.

- Ex-pats may post entries to friends in SA for starting placement

- Points generated from the starting cache value will count, so choose your starting cache well.

- Owners may move their TBs once only for full points. Thereafter, they may move the TBs, but will not receive points for those moves.

- The owner may not remove the TB from its starting cache.

- A TB which does a return trip within SA borders (eg Cape Town - JHB - Cape Town) in a 30 day period, will not receive any travelling points for the return leg of the journey. (However, they will receive the cache points for the the cache placed in on return.)

eg (CT - JHB - Durban - JHB - CT) will not receive the points for travelling back to JHB, but will receive the points for travelling back to CT, as that stay in JHB was broken.

- similarly, an international return to/from SA in a 30 day period will not get points for the return distance travelled. This is irrespective of the city in SA.

- Any TB dropped in a cache and removed on the same day will only receive half points for the following distance and cache, even if placed a few days later.

This applies only in SA, or via SA cachers outside SA. A third move on the same day will receive only quarter points. This is to try and minimize advantages via group caching hopping trips.

- Any cacher may move any TB only 3 times during the race. Thereafter, any points don't count.

- Any TB that gets muggled may be replaced with the copy tag or a photo copy of the same ID, but will suffer a 100 point penalty.

- distance travelled (100 miles = 1pt)

- per cache visited. Points are as follows:

- Regular = 5pts

- Multi = 10pts

- Event = 15pts

- Puzzle/virtual = 20pts

- earthcache = 25pts

- webcam/CITO event = 30

- Per terrain and difficulty star rating over 1/1 = 2pts per half star (ie 1/1cache = 0pts, 1/2.5 cache = 6pts, 5/5 cache = 32 pts)

Country groupings are:

- group 1 - USA, UK, Australia = 20pts

- group 2 - Canada, NZ, Western Europe, Ireland, Swaziland, Lesotho = 30pts

- group 3 - Eastern Europe, Namibia, Mozambique = 40pts

- group 4 - Africa, central and South America, Middle East, Asia (including Russia and ex-states) = 50pts

- FTF = 25pts

- Points will be given for the 5 best photos logged on the TB page (excluding homepage photo). Owners to please send their applications to me during final month of the race for judging if they think they have a great photo. The TB does not need to be in the photo, it could be just some great scenery at cache site. (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 pts for top 5 photos)

- I will award points for the cutest, scariest, most interesting etc TB or flashest coin, based on the main home page photo.

(10, 20, 30, 40, 50 pts for top 5)

- Points will also be be given to the most innovative TB name, in my humble opinion. (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 pts for top 5)

- Sympathy points will be given to TBs who stay in one cache or with a cacher for 1 month or more with no activity = 25pts per month dormant

- 25 Bonus points will be given if a TB visits a cache with a certain word in the title. It may only receives points for a specific word once.

The list of words are:

forest, mountain, beach, urban, bike/bicycle, 4x4/offroad, park, garden, river, view, cave, sea, church, North, micro, giant, super, chocolate, dog, red, toy, night, summer, 3/three/third, museum/gallery, cache, ?, metal, waterfall, monster, banana, fun, fly, chicken, dance, cold, cheese, candle, tough, maths/mathematics, glass, time, science, star/s, stop, spider, king, fake/false, gold, mother, "any persons name", "any non-english named cache" (can score per language), "any city/town name", "any movie based name"

Discombob

A question related to Earthcaches. How will you award the points? TB's or GC's cannot be dropped at Eartcaches. Will you require a photograph of the TB at the Earthcache? This one could be a problem to verify. The same applies to a virtual.

Only asking. :unsure:

cincol

Cincol, I think its probably best if the TB is posted in a photo as proof for virtuals and earthcaches (and webcams). I think I shall enforce that in SA but use my discretion outside the country.

Quite right that the TB can't stay there, so it would need to be part of a double hop. In such a case, points will only be accumulated for the higher scoring of the 2 caches involved.

Good question, cnc. I see that Isle of man is not officially part of the UK, and that it has its own search ability in geocaching, so it will count as a separate country to uk. However, it shall stay on 20 points, not 30. In other words, a tB visiting Isle of man and UK will get 40 points for both countries.

Why no racer this year :unsure:

With all the Rules, sub-Rules, sub-sub-Rules, Moderator Rules, Points, Bonus Points, Minus Points, Sympathy points etc etc the race should be called......

Confusion Reins

Hey, we have to have lots of rules to keep all the folks happy that like to complain about cheating in the races etc

And whats the fun of having a race without hundreds of bunus points thrown around willy nilly.

i think the most fun was making the rules up though :huh:

Lets get some more names in folks!

Hey all...

The race site is in the process of being built. D-bob will keep me up to date with the name and chosen race image when he gets the chance and I will try and keep it up to date.

Please remember to send him your name if you are going to be taking part. Come on guys lets get lots of people in this race! Tell your friends!

Check out the site at 2008 TB race

Hey all...

The race site is in the process of being built. D-bob will keep me up to date with the name and chosen race image when he gets the chance and I will try and keep it up to date.

Please remember to send him your name if you are going to be taking part. Come on guys lets get lots of people in this race! Tell your friends!

Thanks QFC

I will decide the name on thursday from the entries, and let you know

There havent been that many confirmed entries, but I guess that wil happen once the TBs are ready

(I hope) :)

Hey all...

I quite like the blog style format of the forum as opposed to the website format of the TB race web page as it has a more "participatory" (I wonder if such a word exists) feel to it. Now if the web page had a comments section that would be cool. On the other hand - would it not be nice if we could expand this thread to a couple of thousand posts over the next year!

Hey all...

I quite like the blog style format of the forum as opposed to the website format of the TB race web page as it has a more "participatory" (I wonder if such a word exists) feel to it. Now if the web page had a comments section that would be cool. On the other hand - would it not be nice if we could expand this thread to a couple of thousand posts over the next year!

I leave the descision to DBob on this one. Less work for me.

* though threads get lost and hard to maintain. And I was hoping to give him the ability to add points and stuff...

Well, CONGRATULATIONS to Nish4

I have decided to use a variation of their entry for the cache name, so this race will be called "Around The World in 80 Ways"

(365 days just didn't have the right sound to it!)

So if they decide to enter the race, they are already in the lead with 25 points!

Thanks for all the other entries!

9df24a02-46c2-451f-b578-94993d922fff.jpg

There might also be some surprises along the way, besides the formal rules, just to keep you all guessing.

To this extent, would all race entrants please email me their birthdays along with their TB info.

If you are a duo or team, pick one. If you are entering 2 bugs, you may send 2 birthdays if their are more than one of you.

Well, thanks for setting up your page QFC! I have a cunning excel sheet which calculates all the scores easily, so if there is some way I can update the scores on your site, that would be great!

Pooks, I'll update the scores here monthly too, but I think a few thousand posts is pushing it! We don't want Groundspeak to up their Premium Membership to cover the cost of a new server to host this thread ;)

I have dropped and entered 2 race bugs. A question arises - if a bug is picked up and moved out of the country before 14/2 is it disqualified from the race? That would complicate logistics. Is this a case of new brooms sweep clean (in my case) or why is this race getting so little support (maybe there are schemers out there). Kom mense.

Edited by the pooks

Discombob

Firstly, shouldn't you change the title of the thread? :bad: No longer "Proposed".

Only 4 days to go. How about an update on the number of entries so far? :rolleyes: Will you be publishing a list of all the TB's along with their tracking numbers as well?

Good luck to all entrants. :bad:

Happy racing

cincol

Wazat

From the rules at http://www.geocachingranking.com/Tracking/...e2008rules.aspx

* TBs can start at any cache of the owners choosing (In South Africa only), and can end anywhere in the world.

* The owner may not remove the TB from its starting cache.

* FTF = 25pts.

That actually tells you that your TB will get 25pts bonus when found as it will be a FTF. :bad:

Good Luck.

cincol

errr, i was thinking I need to change the name of the post. Not sure if I can change it or have to start a new one.

wll, the Tbs can be dropped off at anytime before the 14th, but the points will only accumulate from 14th, so if someone picks up your tb before then, that first cache won't get points

The Tb may be dropped off any time after 14th as well, so it is fine to drop your TB off next weekend as well! no problems there, provided its an Sa cache to start.

Late entries are fine as well.

Yes, you can start the tb in one of your own new caches. Good try on the FTF rule, but as you are the cache placer dropping a TB, you are not allowed to FTF your own cache, so thus neither is the tb

:bad:

Firstly, shouldn't you change the title of the thread? :rolleyes: No longer "Proposed".

Only 4 days to go. How about an update on the number of entries so far? :bad: Will you be publishing a list of all the TB's along with their tracking numbers as well?

Well, I guess I'll have to open a new thread if I can't figure out how to change the name. Will do so on 14th I guess!

So far there are 8 confirmed racers, submitted by 6 cachers (including myself), plus 2 or 3 more cachers who have said they will enter but don't have the tbs ready.

Havent got any entries from the top 10 cachers on the rankings - where are you guys?

Yes, you can start the tb in one of your own new caches. Good try on the FTF rule, but as you are the cache placer dropping a TB, you are not allowed to FTF your own cache, so thus neither is the tb

:bad:

But what if someone else has a FTF on the new cache and takes the TB? Obviously I am not going to take the TB but I will be dropping it.... What happens if another cacher takes the TB on the FTF? Or does it just count if the TB is dropped in a cache on the FTF?

To change the name of the thread maybe one of the moderators will be able to do it for you. Depends on their admin rights.

Edited by Wazat

Sorry Wazat, it has to be dropped on a FTF!

And Shame on you Cownchicken . . Resting! A likely story!

All that needs to be done is email me the name of a TB already in the country. You don't need to make a new one, or plot and scheme and hatch devious plans - you can just do what I have always done, and sit back and see what happens to the TB. No effort whatsoever!

I have decided to reuse my last years racer for this race!