NGS to look for GPS satellites

Wintertime

That's pretty neat GeoTrailblazer about those little prisms. Very interesting reading.

My first worry on reading about this NGS effort, is that I hope its coordinated with the US government. I would hate to think that the super detailed specifics of the GPS satellite orbits would be documented and available to someone with anti-satellite capability (aka China). In the event of an international incident, GPS satellites would be a very attractive target when trying to win a conflict. (China has already tested anti-satellite missiles)

I am assuming that they know everything they need to know already anyways though. I am sure this NOAA effort won't "help the enemy".

My first worry on reading about this NGS effort, is that I hope its coordinated with the US government.

Ummm...the NGS is the U.S. government. It's part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which is part of the U.S. Department of Commerce.

I would hate to think that the super detailed specifics of the GPS satellite orbits would be documented and available to someone with anti-satellite capability (aka China).

Two comments about that. As Dave D. said, they're trying to determine the satellites' positions down to a few centimeters. Any country with satellite tracking capabilities already knows their locations well enough to target them. Besides, many of the 200 IGS contributing organizations are in China.

Patty

Edited by Wintertime

I can't remember which Treaty it is but we have a ban on weapons or an agreement anyway that there is not a weapon capable of reaching our satts.

One of those Nuclear proliferation(sp) Treaties.

And it is our system so the data may ...well lets say those that know know how accurate it is.

And if you would like to try and use our system against us.

I say go right ahead and just see what we can do.

Thats all I needs to know.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1