How to obtain a Lackey geocoin

Puppy Dawg

Who here knows how to obtain a Lackey geocoin? The question has been in my mind for months.

:huh: Man, if everyone knew how to obtain a Lackey coin, dont ya think we woulda done it by now??? :lol:

I really am not sure if there is a "way" to obtain one... I really dont know, but seems to me that the few I have seen given out were for different reasons from good deeds noticed by Groundspeak, or if someones hangin there in when times are tough, also... just a good way to thank you for giving to the community in one way or another...Oh yeah~you could even win em in cointests!!! :huh:

I have also seen a couple go on ebay...But really I dont know what it actually takes to get a Lackey, Id say whoever gets one was givin it because Groundspeak thought they should have it in one way or another...But this has just been my perception of the coin, again I really dont know!

Hopefully we will get some better answers for ya! :huh:

Edited by 007BigD

You can not buy a Lackey coin , you can only get one as a gift by a Lackey "emloyee of Groundspeak".

The Groundspeak Headquarters is in Seattle and the cache is "GCK25B Groundspeak Headquarters", you need to make an appointment or have an invite.

I was lucky to be with a group of cachers, one of which is the #1 cacher in Germany who was able to get our group in there for a walk thru. They have a huge treasure cache chest full of TB and Coins to be moved our group took/moved about 20-30. They had a touch screen there that was a google geocaching map of all the caches in the world very cool. At the end we were lucky to treated to a 2007 Lackey coin, we are not allowed to trade or sell this coin, like you would. I'm not sure if everyone that goes there gets a coin or not. I would say yes unless you were already given one.

There was another cool cache just outside the building, the container was a news/paper box witha lock on it and a caching news paper in the glass front, the cache page had the numbers needed to open the cache.

Also I believe there is an Event held there soon, were they are showcasing a new Garmin product looks interesting with a price tag for sure.

You can not buy a Lackey coin , you can only get one as a gift by a Lackey "emloyee of Groundspeak".

The Groundspeak Headquarters is in Seattle and the cache is "GCK25B Groundspeak Headquarters", you need to make an appointment or have an invite.

I was lucky to be with a group of cachers, one of which is the #1 cacher in Germany who was able to get our group in there for a walk thru. They have a huge treasure cache chest full of TB and Coins to be moved our group took/moved about 20-30. They had a touch screen there that was a google geocaching map of all the caches in the world very cool. At the end we were lucky to treated to a 2007 Lackey coin, we are not allowed to trade or sell this coin, like you would. I'm not sure if everyone that goes there gets a coin or not. I would say yes unless you were already given one.

There was another cool cache just outside the building, the container was a news/paper box witha lock on it and a caching news paper in the glass front, the cache page had the numbers needed to open the cache.

Also I believe there is an Event held there soon, were they are showcasing a new Garmin product looks interesting with a price tag for sure.

This sounds like what goes.

The cool cache was "Crimunal Education" I don't believe it is there anymore. It has also been archived :huh:

As gearhedd stated, the Lackey coins are given as gifts. As such, they are highly prized. I nearly swooned when I was given mine.

When/if you decide to visit the Lilly Pad, you need to email them first. They prefer to keep the visits limited to Friday afternoons, so as to not disrupt the work.

I haven't visited since they moved, but I'm gonna try to this Spring. I hear the new Pad is pretty nice.

:huh: Man, if everyone knew how to obtain a Lackey coin, dont ya think we woulda done it by now??? :huh:

I am on my way to Seattle!!! :cry: I have heard of that as well, but couldnt remember if it was a Groundspeak Volunteer coin or the Lackey :lol: Dadfish got one and he got it by visiting the headquarters aswell...but I still think it was the signal coin :P

Sounds like a fun place to visit regardless and I would love to see it...I hope to make it there someday! :huh:

The "event" IS the 26Jan08! :huh: The new gizmo sounds Very nice!

:huh: Man, if everyone knew how to obtain a Lackey coin, dont ya think we woulda done it by now??? :huh:

I am on my way to Seattle!!! :P I have heard of that as well, but couldnt remember if it was a Groundspeak Volunteer coin or the Lackey :lol: Dadfish got one and he got it by visiting the headquarters aswell...but I still think it was the signal coin :P

Sounds like a fun place to visit regardless and I would love to see it...I hope to make it there someday! :huh:

Just make sure you e-mail them and set up an appointment :cry:

I am on my way to Seattle!!! :P I have heard of that as well, but couldnt remember if it was a Groundspeak Volunteer coin or the Lackey :lol: Dadfish got one and he got it by visiting the headquarters aswell...but I still think it was the signal coin :P

I heard that this had to be done in the form of a hand written letter, can any one confirm or deny this for me?

I am just sitting back laughing at this topic, but of course not in a rude way. I obtained a Lackey for my Secret Santa Mission and was dumb founded on these ease. I promise you that it is not as difficult to obtain as one might think :huh: .

My understanding is that you can't adopt the newer edition like I guess you could with the other!

I heard that this had to be done in the form of a hand written letter, can any one confirm or deny this for me?

Ibelieve that my son set it up through an e-mail as a birthday present for me :P

Ibelieve that my son set it up through an e-mail as a birthday present for me :P

How long ago was that? Hopefully a Mod can clarify for us??

I am on my way to Seattle!!! :P I have heard of that as well, but couldnt remember if it was a Groundspeak Volunteer coin or the Lackey :lol: Dadfish got one and he got it by visiting the headquarters aswell...but I still think it was the signal coin :D

How long ago was that? Hopefully a Mod can clarify for us??

Someone will "chirp in" :P

For a Friday visit, just email your intent, no major hoops. The garmin event is late january- the 26th I believe.

I believe that the Garmin event is actually at the nearby REI... I was all very happy as I really wanted to visit HQ for my birthday, but the event coordinates land you elsewhere (REI). Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

There are some Lackeys up for trade at http://www.geocoincollection.com/ and probably at other trade sites as well.

For a Friday visit, just email your intent, no major hoops. The garmin event is late january- the 26th I believe.

I believe that the Garmin event is actually at the nearby REI... I was all very happy as I really wanted to visit HQ for my birthday, but the event coordinates land you elsewhere (REI). Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

There are some Lackeys up for trade at http://www.geocoincollection.com/ and probably at other trade sites as well.

I Never thought to put in coordinates. That Does make sense since there would be more room there And it would be a great promotional thing for them :P - But it is Still a Saturday.(and the correct one for me-if you know what I mean) :laughing:

I've never been to Seattle, you'd have to ask the people there. I just volunteer here. I think getting in involves sending MissJenn chocolates, something about greasing palms, and a pot of honey coated flies for Signal. I really don't know for sure. It's kind of like visiting the Emerald City in Oz. :laughing:

Emailing contact@geocaching.com might provide more answers.

I Never thought to put in coordinates. That Does make sense since there would be more room there And it would be a great promotional thing for them :P - But it is Still a Saturday.(and the correct one for me-if you know what I mean) :laughing:

It is the REI in Seattle. The same thing for the Bay Area. I think they want us to see the cool new Garmin GPS and buy!

It is the REI in Seattle. The same thing for the Bay Area. I think they want us to see the cool new Garmin GPS and buy!

Hehehe. I'll probably find it hard to resist buying *something* there, but I don't think that I'll get away with buying the new Garmin :laughing:

Very much hoping they have some of the Garmin geocoins mentioned in another thread though... I'd love to at least get to see one of them.

Hehehe. I'll probably find it hard to resist buying *something* there, but I don't think that I'll get away with buying the new Garmin :P

Very much hoping they have some of the Garmin geocoins mentioned in another thread though... I'd love to at least get to see one of them.

So, they'll be pricey And beyond My intellect capacity :laughing:

I think getting in involves sending MissJenn chocolates, something about greasing palms, and a pot of honey coated flies for Signal. I really don't know for sure. It's kind of like visiting the Emerald City in Oz. :laughing:

I brought a dozen Top Pot donuts for the lackeys.

An email is all I sent when I was allowed access to the lily pad (in December).

(And the Lackey Coin is pretty nifty!)

I think getting in involves sending MissJenn chocolates, something about greasing palms, and a pot of honey coated flies for Signal. I really don't know for sure. It's kind of like visiting the Emerald City in Oz. :P

I brought a dozen Top Pot donuts for the lackeys.

An email is all I sent when I was allowed access to the lily pad (in December).

(And the Lackey Coin is pretty nifty!)

Ditto.... a dozen doughnuts from their favourite snack shop is a quick IN. Set up the appt by email. We did this last summer and were only in Seattle for a day in August. Annie was kind enough to see us in and from the emails we got from the other worker bees our doughnuts were appreciated.... as we appreciated a Lackey coin each. I'm still waiting for the new version to come out with Annie on it!! :laughing:

Ditto.... a dozen doughnuts from their favourite snack shop is a quick IN. Set up the appt by email. We did this last summer and were only in Seattle for a day in August. Annie was kind enough to see us in and from the emails we got from the other worker bees our doughnuts were appreciated.... as we appreciated a Lackey coin each. I'm still waiting for the new version to come out with Annie on it!! :(

The new version is out with Annie on it. :rolleyes:

OR...there will be a 2005 Lackey for sale on Ebay to help raise money for Tank and Tracy (look for the "TnT" needs our help...or something like that for more info). It MIGHT already have gone up, but not sure as I had things of import to handle and just got back a few minutes ago!

BID generously on this coin please....TnT really will be needing all the help they can get!

Oh, and the coin being sold was gifted me at the MWGB by Bryan!! (well, there's more to that story, but that's enough to understand where the coin came from) AND...I have permission to sell this coin for this special cause!!

I received my Lackey coin in trade from Jeremy at GW5. As soon as I got knocked out of the poker tournament, I walked over to where he was talking with some other folks and introduced myself. After talking a few minutes I offered him one of my coins and he gave me the Lackey. Very nice, and the coin was pretty neat too! :rolleyes:

Almost as much fun was having Prntr1 begging me for a Prntr1 coin so he could make the same trade. Seems Prntr went out without his stash that night. Of course, I took care of him.

If you go to a MEGA event that has attracted the lackeys and you ask nicely they just might trade with you!! That is how I got my lackey coin at the Midwest GeoBash. They gifted it to me and I gifted my coin back to them!!

Yup---we met Jeremy at GW5 and gave him a smirk and got a lackey coin in return. We had no problem getting it adopted to us from Signal.

If you go to a MEGA event that has attracted the lackeys and you ask nicely they just might trade with you!! That is how I got my lackey coin at the Midwest GeoBash. They gifted it to me and I gifted my coin back to them!!

Yup---we met Jeremy at GW5 and gave him a smirk and got a lackey coin in return. We had no problem getting it adopted to us from Signal.

Okay really stupid newbie experience sory. I went to GW5 with my hubby. We'd been caching together for a while and I really hadnt gotten into coins or even my own account. Well I talked to Jeremy for like 10 minutes or so while hubby was wandering about. I had NO idea who Jeremy was and had NO idea about Lackey coins. After a little bit we bid goodbyes and good lucks and I went to find my hubby. He asked what I had been up to and I mentioned I had been talking to a really nice guy who told me I should get my own geo account and told me about the forums and coins and such. Hubby was not to interested until I mentioned the guys name. Then he was like "did you trade a coin with him?!?!" :rolleyes: I was confused why hubby was freaking on me. :( I said no why would I have (mind you I just bought my first coin the GW5 sunburst, so he probably wouldnt have pried it out of my hands anyways :D ). To this day whenever we get talking about Lackey coins my hubby has to mention that I'm the dimwit that could have gotten one and had no idea who I was talking too. :D:(

Okay really stupid newbie experience sory. I went to GW5 with my hubby. We'd been caching together for a while and I really hadnt gotten into coins or even my own account. Well I talked to Jeremy for like 10 minutes or so while hubby was wandering about. I had NO idea who Jeremy was and had NO idea about Lackey coins. After a little bit we bid goodbyes and good lucks and I went to find my hubby. He asked what I had been up to and I mentioned I had been talking to a really nice guy who told me I should get my own geo account and told me about the forums and coins and such. Hubby was not to interested until I mentioned the guys name. Then he was like "did you trade a coin with him?!?!" :rolleyes: I was confused why hubby was freaking on me. :( I said no why would I have (mind you I just bought my first coin the GW5 sunburst, so he probably wouldnt have pried it out of my hands anyways :D ). To this day whenever we get talking about Lackey coins my hubby has to mention that I'm the dimwit that could have gotten one and had no idea who I was talking too. :D:(

I've seen some Lackeys at some events Never thought about asking to trade with them. Just said "HI" :D

I think I once saw Jeremy in a limo with Elvis drinking Gin and Tonics. I couldn't make a positive ID, but when the limo pulled away, there was a smashed Lackey coin on the ground.

Sadly, it was beyond repair and, in fact, might have just been some ice from their drinks - as it slowely faded away in the sunshine (I've heard the Lackey coins do that).

I'll likely never get a Lackey coin, but if they make a Geo-Fool coin - I'm a shoe-in!

I think I once saw Jeremy in a limo with Elvis drinking Gin and Tonics. I couldn't make a positive ID, but when the limo pulled away, there was a smashed Lackey coin on the ground.

Sadly, it was beyond repair and, in fact, might have just been some ice from their drinks - as it slowely faded away in the sunshine (I've heard the Lackey coins do that).

I'll likely never get a Lackey coin, but if they make a Geo-Fool coin - I'm a shoe-in!

My friend, you're a lover of releasing coins, aren't you?? You could always try your luck in the Todie's Wild Ride thread, I know there's a few more LACKEY coins waiting to be won there!!!!

My friend, you're a lover of releasing coins, aren't you?? You could always try your luck in the Todie's Wild Ride thread, I know there's a few more LACKEY coins waiting to be won there!!!!

I'll check it out. To be honest, I'd rather get a coin such as a Lackey coin from....well...a Lackey. Winning it would be okay too - so I'll check out the cointest.

Just the other day, I was lucky enough to get a volunteer coin from a great local cacher that has done just a tonne for the hobby. That's the perfect way for me to get one of these special coins.

As for releasing coins - isn't that sort of what they are for? :)

I'll check it out. To be honest, I'd rather get a coin such as a Lackey coin from....well...a Lackey. Winning it would be okay too - so I'll check out the cointest.

I got my Lackey coin from RR's cointest....I think its pretty sweet!