SD County Parks cache removal

finkbr

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of some decision by SD County that all geocaches will be removed from SD county parks? I just got an e-mail from Rock Jumper D, don't know who he is or where he got info but apparently he picked up some of my caches and whats me to arrange to pick them up. I e-mailed him back and asked where all this came from and also e-mailed Tom to see if he knew. If anyone gets any info on this other than the Anza Borrego thing let me know.

Brian (finkbr)

Hi all,

Has anyone heard of some decision by SD County that all geocaches will be removed from SD county parks? I just got an e-mail from Rock Jumper D, don't know who he is or where he got info but apparently he picked up some of my caches and whats me to arrange to pick them up. I e-mailed him back and asked where all this came from and also e-mailed Tom to see if he knew. If anyone gets any info on this other than the Anza Borrego thing let me know.

Brian (finkbr)

I just checked my email and I did not see anything about my two caches in that same park. I looked at the county site (the internal network) and I have not seen anything yet that shows that decision being made.

Paul

Team Adelos

Hi all,

Brian (finkbr)

I just checked my email and I did not see anything about my two caches in that same park. I looked at the county site (the internal network) and I have not seen anything yet that shows that decision being made.

Paul

Team Adelos

I got the same email about one of my caches.

Hi all,

Brian (finkbr)

Paul

Team Adelos

Are they puzzles??? They can be hard to find... :huh:

Hi all,

Brian (finkbr)

Paul

Team Adelos

Are they puzzles??? They can be hard to find... :laughing:

I just got an email from the same person and asked for them to provide contact information. I will have to find my authorization forms from a couple of the parks. I did not hear from that authority (the County) about any changes in their geocaching policies. It is not like they contact me first, but wouldn't they update there sites to no longer have the authorization forms? I will try to find my info on this stuff but googling the parks will probably be enough to find the forms. It would be beneficial to turn this into something positive, however, one person collecting caches or stating that they will be picked up does not make much sense. Several of the county parks in San Diego support geocaching and are aware of it. It is almost like this individual is taking there own initiative. Maybe it is an attention "thing".

TA

That's bizarre. Looking at his stats, he (or she) is a low number finder (10) all in the months of June and July, 2007. Upon reading this, the following possibilities ran through my head:

1) He's (I'll use "he" just for linguistic simplicity) associated with SD County Parks. (But if he is, then he should identify himself -- at least by office or the capacity in which he is acting.

2) He's not with SD County Parks but has an inside track to something that's brewing and decided to act upon it.

3) He's misinterpreted the flap over ABSP as applying to SDCP and decided to act upon it.

4) He's a cache pirate (but usually messages from cache pirates say something like "Hah, hah, got your cache!" so this seems unlikely.)

In any case, the proper thing (something that ABSP could also learn) is to ask/notify the cache owner first -- before picking up any caches. Perhaps someone could mention this to him (politely) before he goes out and picks up more caches.

Since Cuyamaca State Park has new guidelines for the proper placement of caches with permission, I doubt if there is some blanket decision to remove caches from all the State Parks.

There is a lack of communication, however. :rolleyes: The other day we talked to a Ranger from Cuyamaca State Park who was not aware of the new policy for the area she polices . . . :(

Since Cuyamaca State Park has new guidelines for the proper placement of caches with permission, I doubt if there is some blanket decision to remove caches from all the State Parks.

There is a lack of communication, however. :rolleyes: The other day we talked to a Ranger from Cuyamaca State Park who was not aware of the new policy for the area she polices . . . :(

Working for the County, I may be able to get someone in land management. I have been meaning to do that anyway, so no better time then now. I am sure someone can shed some light.

TA

After further investigation and correspondence with the cacher, the person does indeed work for the Land Use & Environment Parks & Recreation Dept Park Operations in San Diego. I wrote a polite email and CC'd Tom on the email. Hopefully further communication will clear up some of the confusion as geocaching stands in some areas.

TA

Working for the County, I may be able to get someone in land management. I have been meaning to do that anyway, so no better time then now. I am sure someone can shed some light.

TA

He is a ranger who is also at least an occasional cacher. He is the one who told me that the caches on Santa Ysabel Preserve were still there, and he has found at least some of them. I do not believe he is against caching. If he were, he had the opportunity to have all of those caches removed a long time ago. Something may indeed be brewing . . . :(

As the former Land Use Manager for the County, I had several occasions to discuss geocaching with Rene Bahl (Director of County Parks) and her boss Chandra Wallar (Deputy Chief Administrative Officer). Both indicated they liked the idea and thought it would increase the number of park visitors, and increase some use fees (parking, camping, etc). It sounds like this may be a mid-level staff person making a decision on thier own. I would suggest contacts higher up within the County Government.

I just met Rock Jumper D. He was kind enough to bring me my cache that he had picked up and he briefly explained the situation to me; he is a volunteer with the county parks and has been instructed by his new boss to pick up any Geocaches.

His boss was recently promoted to supervisor of Vulcan Mountain and Santa Ysabel open space preserves and the county parks in Ramona.

Bummer . . . Does that mean the great series of caches by FlagMan and Snake & Rooster are history . . .? :laughing: I only found half of those . . .

Maybe this issue should be taken to the county board of supervisors.

There is enough brain power here to make an impressive case to the supervisors the geocaching is a good thing and that geocachers are not a bunch of idiots running around distroying the environment.

Nick

As the former Land Use Manager for the County, I had several occasions to discuss geocaching with Rene Bahl (Director of County Parks) and her boss Chandra Wallar (Deputy Chief Administrative Officer). Both indicated they liked the idea and thought it would increase the number of park visitors, and increase some use fees (parking, camping, etc). It sounds like this may be a mid-level staff person making a decision on thier own. I would suggest contacts higher up within the County Government.

You're elected spokesperson! Seriously, though, the more resources we have from "within" the better. Can you help put Marko and GC.com staff in touch with these people? The more communication the better, and it irks me that these decisions are being made, and actions taken, without the slightest attempt by the Rangers at communicating with the appropriate people involved in Geocaching.

You're elected spokesperson! Seriously, though, the more resources we have from "within" the better. Can you help put Marko and GC.com staff in touch with these people? The more communication the better, and it irks me that these decisions are being made, and actions taken, without the slightest attempt by the Rangers at communicating with the appropriate people involved in Geocaching.

Both of those people that were mentioned are still listed in the county directory. I could retrieve their direct numbers, however, it may be more appropriate to go through the correct channels.

TA

...It would be beneficial to turn this into something positive, however, one person collecting caches or stating that they will be picked up does not make much sense. Several of the county parks in San Diego support geocaching and are aware of it. It is almost like this individual is taking there own initiative. Maybe it is an attention "thing".

TA

Right hand left hand thing?

Both of those people that were mentioned are still listed in the county directory. I could retrieve their direct numbers, however, it may be more appropriate to go through the correct channels.

TA

Thanks Paul. I sent an email and opened discussion with the DCAO's office and introduced Tom. Chandra Wallar (Deputy Chief Administrative Officer) has already responded and directed staff to look into it. Hopefully with Tom's help and help from GC this can get resolved.

Cat & Bobby

TA

Thanks Paul. I sent an email and opened discussion with the DCAO's office and introduced Tom. Chandra Wallar (Deputy Chief Administrative Officer) has already responded and directed staff to look into it. Hopefully with Tom's help and help from GC this can get resolved.

Cat & Bobby

That is great news! Thanks for helping out (as always). :rolleyes: Glad to here something more official than those basic, no content emails. Now they may still choose against geocaching in some areas, but at least we will know it is official. We will respect that decision.

TA

TA

Cat & Bobby

That is great news! Thanks for helping out (as always). :) Glad to here something more official than those basic, no content emails. Now they may still choose against geocaching in some areas, but at least we will know it is official. We will respect that decision.

TA

Yeah, sure, we'll respect the rules but don't we get to slap somebody?

His boss was recently promoted to supervisor of Vulcan Mountain and Santa Ysabel open space preserves and the county parks in Ramona.

You didn't happen to catch the name of the new Supervisor did you?

He didn't say and I didn't ask. He already felt bad about it all and I didn't want him to think I was going to cause any trouble for him.

You didn't happen to catch the name of the new Supervisor did you?

He didn't say and I didn't ask. He already felt bad about it all and I didn't want him to think I was going to cause any trouble for him.

OK, Thanks.

Scott :anicute:

I sure hope we get this straightened out. I'm somewhat suspicious that some ABDSP ranger(s) are calling other area park rangers. It's a bit too coincidental for me...

I'd be surprised beyond belief if they HADN'T called their associates. :D

I was trying to be diplomatic.... :D

I wonder if there are Indian cairns drunk camper cairns in other parks? :D

Edited by TrailGators
I was wondering this too. Should I send a letter to my County Commissioner, or to anyone else? Or is MissJenn working on this as well as the ABDSP issue?
I last heard that they were still working on it. It's hard to move an immovable object. I would still wait until we hear back from them...

Is this happening in just some County parks or all. Time to call Diane Jacobs, her area covers must of the back country. 00020176.gif

I was wondering this too. Should I send a letter to my County Commissioner, or to anyone else? Or is MissJenn working on this as well as the ABDSP issue?
I last heard that they were still working on it. It's hard to move an immovable object. I would still wait until we hear back from them...

Is this happening in just some County parks or all. Time to call Diane Jacobs, her area covers must of the back country. 00020176.gif

I see her at our board meeting every couple weeks. From what I can tell, only some parks. If you google sdcounty and geocaching, you will find a few parks that actually have incorporated it along side with hiking and biking.

Paul

I sure hope we get this straightened out. I'm somewhat suspicious that some ABDSP ranger(s) are calling other area park rangers. It's a bit too coincidental for me...

I was trying to be diplomatic.... ;)

I wonder if there are Indian cairns drunk camper cairns in other parks? :o

I may be new here, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that it is disrespectful posts and actions such as these that could possibly give land managers ANTI-caching tendencies.

Just a thought.

from.......the voice of reason

I may be new here, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that it is disrespectful posts and actions such as these that could possibly give land managers ANTI-caching tendencies.

Just a thought.

I didn't think sock puppets were allowed "voice of reason". Nice try.... Not

Just a thought.

Possibly a sock puppet account? No finds, no hides and only 1 forum post. :D Just an observation.

I'd be surprised beyond belief if they HADN'T called their associates. :wacko:

I was trying to be diplomatic.... :wacko:

I wonder if there are Indian cairns drunk camper cairns in other parks? :rolleyes:

Just a thought.

Ever heard of a joke Mr. Sock puppet? :lol: Just so you know, I've always make an honest effort to follow park rules, so I don't appreciate the dig. Edited by TrailGators

spacer.gif

It is now in San Diego . I was with Bob AKA Fattboy this morning and we were by Catus Co. park across from the fair grounds close to were he had a TB Hotel. And there is a steel bridge there so we stopped to look about putting a hide there, and just as I was getting to the bridge the rangers pulled up behind Bob's truck and asked what we are doing? We tell here that I lost my dog and am looking for it. Then she leaves, then pulls over and watches me get into the truck. So as we go by them and turn around they drive up to us and she says so you lost your dog and i say ya. Then Bob says that we are also looking at the bridge for a hide for Geocaching and she says forget it no hides in the parks. So i ask were is the park and see lets me know the name of the park and whats funny is there is a barb wire fence with no trespassing signs up to the bridge then after the bridge but no fence are signs. So it just not the desert its close to home.

:unsure: HI!! :lol:

HAY - WHAT HE SAID MAN !!

:lol: FATTBOY ;)

spacer.gif

It is now in San Diego . I was with Bob AKA Fattboy this morning and we were by Catus Co. park across from the fair grounds close to were he had a TB Hotel. And there is a steel bridge there so we stopped to look about putting a hide there, and just as I was getting to the bridge the rangers pulled up behind Bob's truck and asked what we are doing? We tell here that I lost my dog and am looking for it. Then she leaves, then pulls over and watches me get into the truck. So as we go by them and turn around they drive up to us and she says so you lost your dog and i say ya. Then Bob says that we are also looking at the bridge for a hide for Geocaching and she says forget it no hides in the parks. So i ask were is the park and see lets me know the name of the park and whats funny is there is a barb wire fence with no trespassing signs up to the bridge then after the bridge but no fence are signs. So it just not the desert its close to home.

spacer.gif

It is now in San Diego .

I can also verify this. The Head Ranger at William Heise CP, is a good friend and he states that a directive from County Parks and Rec has come down to ALL County Parks that Geocaching will not be allowed and that all caches will be removed. He stated that someone at County Parks is supposed to contacting Groundspeak to get all the caches archived. Strike two for geocaching. :o

Post #470

It is now in San Diego .

I can also verify this. The Head Ranger at William Heise CP, is a good friend and he states that a directive from County Parks and Rec has come down to ALL County Parks that Geocaching will not be allowed and that all caches will be removed. He stated that someone at County Parks is supposed to contacting Groundspeak to get all the caches archived. Strike two for geocaching. :o
Are you talking about all these parks? ;) Edited by TrailGators
Post #470It is now in San Diego .
Are you talking about all these parks? ;)

If it is all those parks that's alot of Caches.

Some one needs to get a copy of that directive.

This isn't looking good. 000201D8.gif

All we will have left is urban Micros and Desert Caches. 000201FE.gif

Post #470

It is now in San Diego .

Are you talking about all these parks? ;)

He said it was "County Wide" and a directive, not a suggestion. I would assume that all County Park property, whether it be day use or camping, will be out-of-bounds.

I'll see if I can get a copy of the directive.

I'm a Park Ranger for San Diego County. There will be 2 physcial caches placed at Goodan Ranch on May 10 (Event Day Only). County Staff will be observing to see how much negative impact these 2 caches will have.

quote name='Cat & Bobby' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:04 PM' post='3245039']

TA

Cat & Bobby

I'm a Park Ranger for San Diego County. There will be 2 physcial caches placed at Goodan Ranch on May 10 (Event Day Only). County Staff will be observing to see how much negative impact these 2 caches will have.

TA

Cat & Bobby

Thank you Ranger Roger.

I hope that you will find that Geocachers take extra effort to care for the environment. If you have any problems, questions or concerns, please let us know.

Paul

Team Adelos