Cemetery caches

I have only been caching for a short period but am hooked. We have done only a few caches in cemeteries and I have enjoyed the caches that take us to the cemeteries that are unique and interesting. We did have one cache that was placed in a vase that was part of the gravestone. I felt very strange about it, I hoped there was a reason we had been taken to this particular stone, but after reading the post there was not.

I just have to wonder how their loved ones would feel if they knew their gravestones are being used as a game piece (that is for the ones that have not gotten permission). What do you think? Am I the only one that feels this is a little off?

I have no problem with caches in cemeteries if they are tastefully placed. That means away from graves, or where mourners are likely to be encountered.

A cache on a gravestone or in a vase on a grave or gravestone is not tasteful. I doubt the reviewer would have thought so had he known about it.

I have no problem with caches in cemeteries if they are tastefully placed. That means away from graves, or where mourners are likely to be encountered.

A cache on a gravestone or in a vase on a grave or gravestone is not tasteful. I doubt the reviewer would have thought so had he known about it.

Ditto.

Maybe if was a memorial type thing about a relative or former cacher or some possible exception that could maybe be considered tasteful and respectful.

Generally, I'd say it's a bad idea.

I found a cache on top of a headstone a couple of weeks ago. It was the resting place of the father of the cache owner. He had a very nice story about his father in the cache description and I thought it was a nice tribute.

From a hiding standpoint, I won't hide a cache in a cemetery if there have been recent burials. I opt for the historical and obscure locations.

I seen one done in a vase next to the headstone but it was the cachers father and they put it there. I guess in that case it would be ok.

I really like cemetery caches for the historical value, although they should all be respectfully placed! I too have found one like joranda has descibed and thought it was well presented.

I've ended up at 2 caches that turned out to be in cemeteries, and refused to do both of them.

I guess it's just personal preference. I find it disrespectful, but I'd imagine it could be done in a way that wasn't.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind if people geocached on my grave, depending on the circumstances.

I have enjoyed the cemetery caches I have found, so far. Each of them has taken me to a really nice place and is usually a very old cemetery that has not been used in quite some time. All the caches have been around the edges or outside the cemetery, except for one that was part of a puzzle cache where you needed certain info from some of the headstones. The only part where I feel uncomfortable is when I have to walk across graves. I just always feel like it is impolite, but sometimes that is the only option.

I have enjoyed the cemetery caches I have found, so far. Each of them has taken me to a really nice place and is usually a very old cemetery that has not been used in quite some time. All the caches have been around the edges or outside the cemetery, except for one that was part of a puzzle cache where you needed certain info from some of the headstones. The only part where I feel uncomfortable is when I have to walk across graves. I just always feel like it is impolite, but sometimes that is the only option.

No, there is always one other option.........turn around and exit the cemetery.

A few months ago, I found a cemetery cache where the container turned out to be hidden in the base of a small statue of Saint Francis that was on someone's burial plot, just in front of the headstone. The cache description mentioned that a relative of the cache owner (who wasn't named) was buried in that cemetery, but there was no mention as to whether the cache was at that relative's grave. I normally don't mind cemetery caches at all, in fact I enjoy the history lesson and the gravestone art, but finding this cache felt a bit strange.

On the other hand, since I'd already found the cache, I signed the log and took the smiley....

--Larry

I absolutely LOVE cemetery caches, when I don't have to enter the cemetery to find the cache. I think its totally disrespectful to have a cache within the cemetery and the one in the vase would have taken the cake. I can't believe someone was so tactless to do that.

I love cemeteries and have no problems with them at all. Just be respectful and keep your caches outside the cemetery. I think its cool to go inside a cemetery to maybe find a hint on a headstone or whatever but not to literally put the cache inside the cemetery. JMHO!!! Laurie

I seen one done in a vase next to the headstone but it was the cachers father and they put it there. I guess in that case it would be ok.

Nothing wrong with that, but to place one on the grave of a stranger? That's pretty rude.

Hopefully no one would do that. Hopefully any cache out there that are on the tombstones or vases are family members to the cache placer. I always enjoy going into old cemeteries, be it for caching or just site seeing. You can learn alot there.

I've ended up at 2 caches that turned out to be in cemeteries, and refused to do both of them.

I guess it's just personal preference. I find it disrespectful, but I'd imagine it could be done in a way that wasn't.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind if people geocached on my grave, depending on the circumstances.

Some people love them. Some people hate them. I hate them. That's my prerogative. Some people like to picnic in cemeteries (though I have no idea why.) But, each to his or her own. Yes, I will even admit to having done a few. And they have always made me feel uncomfortable and disrespectful. (This goes for memorials as well.) How old was this person when she died?

Each to his/her own. But, since there are many of us who feel this way, I do think that we should be forwarned! Not "Hey! Look what we found back here." But rather: "This cache/waypoint is located in a cemetery." Yes. I do go to cemeteries. But not to figure out how old someone was when she died for a waypoint, nor to walk on soneone's grave.

Nothing wrong with that, but to place one on the grave of a stranger? That's pretty rude.

I totally agree. But I have no problem, as others have said, with tastefully, respectfully placed caches in cemetaries.

I do like caches in cemeteries. There is so much history in them. That's one of the reasons I got into geocaching... people tell so much history in their cache pages, and cemeteries are the best place to think about the history of the area! At an early age, I went with my grandfather to many cemeteries as he was putting together our family history. We would verify the grave site of one of our ancient relatives, and then talk about the times that they lived in. Then we would look around at other family plots, and speculate what lives they lived. In my area, and in many other areas too, the old cemeteries are always on the high ground. Why? Because, according to my grandfather, they were closer to heaven! Memories...

So, no, cemeteries are not places to be afraid of or not to go into. Respectful...of course, but what greater respect could you show to the people buried there than to think about them and the life they lived, even if you don't really know who they were? Look at the pioneer family with 8 markers of kids under 2 years of age. Tough life back then. We can't even imagine how tough it might have been back then, but by looking and thinking, we ARE remembering them. Do any of their current relatives even know where those graves are?

One of my caches is in a cemetery that is in the middle of a commercial area now. Back when it was in use, the early landowners and people the surrounding streets in the area are named for are buried there. I did some research, and did a write-up on who started this cemetery and who is buried there, and what impact they had on the area. That's history, and there would be no other way to really tell about it. A guardrail micro in the area just would just not be the same... The cache itself(a multi) makes the finder look for the oldest marker in the cemetery(early 1800s), get some info off of it, and then leads them to the edge of the cemetery, where the actual cache is hid...past the markers of the family that the road out front is named after. History and remembrance...

I agree that cemetery hides should be on the edges of cemeteries, out of respect for the people. However, hides near or on markers, as long as they are relatives of the owner, IMHO, are ok too. In those cases they are there for people to come and see and remember the owners relative. Isn't this respect and remembrance?

Of course, when entering any cemetery, if a service is in progress that you might disturb, just leave... You can get the cache some other time. But if you are there, and nobody, or only a few people are around, have fun with the cache. And then look around at the graves and think of the history and the people who have lived in the area before you. This is the best respect you can show them.

Have fun!

Cemetery Caches are fine.As a student of the American Civil War,cemetery caches give me an oppertunity to visit fallen Heros of the Union.Although this type of cache is not my favorite,I believe that if respect and tact are used they are O.K...God Bless the Union and Abraham Lincoln...

What stumpy said.

I have a cemetery cache that is placed on the perimeter near a tombstone that's an Irish Setter reclining, still mindful of his owner. Many old stones there. Memories if times long past. Too many youngsters (1850-1852) and such.

"Pay your respects" is a phrase that means just what it says. If you do, you are not out of bounds.

I like them. Especially in old, forgotten cemeteries.

I wonder, why isn't there a Cemetery Attribute? It's nowhere near as ambiguous as many of the existing ones, and it's clearly something people would like to filter on (either in or out). Is it because it might give the impression of encouraging cemetery caches?

I like them. Especially in old, forgotten cemeteries.

I wonder, why isn't there a Cemetery Attribute? It's nowhere near as ambiguous as many of the existing ones, and it's clearly something people would like to filter on (either in or out). Is it because it might give the impression of encouraging cemetery caches?

Just guessing that it's because there are dozens of attributes people want and you got to draw the line somewhere.

the history found in the cemeteries,( especially if you are living in the area of the caches),is enough to out weigh any thoughts of sacrilege!

there is a local cemetery that was in disrepair, a local grade school(see GCPMJR) took on the task of seeing that those interned there were not forgotten and placed a cache in their honor. by doing such there is a forgotten piece of history that is now known to the local cachers, and is passed onto non-cachers as oral history.

our first cache was in a cemetery, the same one in which my family and one day yours truly will be resting eternally.

I don't feel there is anything wrong with that, just as long as the vase/headstone where the cache was placed was a relative of the cache owner and they had permission to do it and as long as the other relatives are ok with it as well.

I kind of think of it as a neat way to let other people see and read about a person that was loved and cared for while alive. On any other occasion, we would have just passed right on by the tombstone without giving it a second glance.

However, I can see how others may view this practice as disrespectful. I have used information off of a tombstone as a clue to lead others to a cache hidden elsewhere in the cemetary, but I have never used a gravesite/tombstone as a cache hiding place itself.

Common debate...

I like cemetary caches - interesting to see the history and stones, etc. As long as they're not done in a disrespectful manner - and I haven't seen one yet.

That whole ISQ series (Indiana Spirit Quest) which is designed to be a series of cemetary caches in order to keep them from being forgotten - i'm really glad I did a bunch of them. Mostly park and grabs, but they were a lot of fun.

I love caches in really OLD cemetaries. There's one around where I live (Okanagan Valley in BC) that is in a hertiage cemetary with the graves of the first settlers to the area. It's really interesting to see all the different headstones and old buildings that are on site. Some of them still have flowers on them from family members. It's a part of the local history so I feel it's a good place for a cache. As long as you don't place it in a spot where you'd be walking on the graves or right on someone's grave (unless they're your ancestor).

I've placed one cemetary cache in a really old cemetary cache. I put it far away from any of the graves because they are old and falling apart. I found one graveyard cache where the cache was in an active cemetary and the cache itself was behind a fresh grave that was in a bush. It was pretty awkward looking for it, and even more so re-hiding it.

Nothing wrong at all about caching in cemetery's. As mentioned before the Indiana Spirit Quest is all about placing caches in cemetery's. They are all done with respect and they show some sort of history behind the cemetery.

Most all of the caches I have done, not just part of the ISQ series are away from any grave site. However, there have been some that are on the grave site itself. All of them are mentioned on the cache page usually a family member of the cache hider. I have no problem doing any of the caches. But, use your own judgement. If a funeral is going on pass it up and come back later.

I have only been caching for a short period but am hooked. We have done only a few caches in cemeteries and I have enjoyed the caches that take us to the cemeteries that are unique and interesting. We did have one cache that was placed in a vase that was part of the gravestone. I felt very strange about it, I hoped there was a reason we had been taken to this particular stone, but after reading the post there was not.

I just have to wonder how their loved ones would feel if they knew their gravestones are being used as a game piece (that is for the ones that have not gotten permission). What do you think? Am I the only one that feels this is a little off?

As I have stated before in the seventeen prior threads devoted to this topic, about the only thing which I abhor more than a cache placement in a cemetery (and I am the first to admit that about one in a thousand potential cemetery placements is appropriate and tasteful, particularly in very large park-like cemeteries with lots of non-gravestone space) is caches placed in or near children's playgrounds. In fact, I outright flat refuse to seek either type of cache (for all I know, Sue may go after such hides once in a while, as she is far more unselective than am I about what kinds of caches she will hunt.)

As I have stated before in the two hundred and seventeen prior threads devoted to this topic, about the only thing which I like more than a cache placement in a cemetery (and I am the second to admit that about 999 in a thousand potential cemetery placements is appropriate and tasteful, particularly in very old pioneer cemeteries with lots of gravestone space) is caches placed in or near waterfalls. In fact, I will drop everything to seek either type of cache (for all I know, Patrick may go after such hides once in a while without me, ever since he got his moped). B)

I don't agree with a cache being placed on/next to a grave that is the cache owner's family or they have permission, etc. The problem is that coordinates aren't so exact that you can tell which gravesite it is (unless it's a lone grave far away from others).

If a cache is done in this way, it would be a must to explain it on the cache page, and to give people enough info that they can tell which gravesite it is, although I doubt that's done very often. Could you imagine looking for a cache without that detailed info, in the middle of a busy row in a cemetery, and not know which pot of plants or which statue the cache is in between 2 or more gravesites or even rows? I would hate to make that guess, and probably wouldn't do that cache.

And even if there was a description on the cache page, that would do nothing for anyone who just has the coords in their gps and didn't read the description, or anyone who skimmed and didn't read well or can't remember all the info.

Simply put, physical caches ought to not be allowed within the property boundary lines of any cemetery. If there is, and there usually is, some historic, botanical or architecturally significant entity worth pointing fellow geocachers to, then Waymark it.

Too bad that the ever popular Virtual Geocache was eliminated from ongoing assignment, they would make perfect geocaches in cemeteries.

And of course many state parks, national parks, historic monuments, buildings and other protected and/or sensitive areas can benefit from this as well.

Sigh................ :laughing::lol:;)

Edited by Team Cotati

Simply put, physical caches ought to not be allowed within the property boundary lines of any cemetery. If there is, and there usually is, some historic, botanical or architecturally significant entity worth pointing fellow geocachers to, then Waymark it.

Too bad that the ever popular Virtual Geocache was eliminated from ongoing assignment, they would make perfect geocaches in cemeteries.

And of course many state parks, national parks, historic monuments, buildings and other protected and/or sensitive areas can benefit from this as well.

Sigh................ :laughing::lol:;)

TC...FINALLY something I can agree with!!

Me and my uncle (TeamBeanDare) went to a cache not far away from my house and it was at the local cemetry and the cache like you said wasn't on or in a vase on a gravestone but it was only max 5 meters away from the nearest gravestones and i thought if you trying to log a cache and then someone just pops up when you werent looking around and you were just staring at them...that would be pretty wierd. :unsure:

Sigh................ :laughing::antenna::antenna:

I don't think the plants and animals in sensitive areas become any less sensitive if you are there to find a marker instead of a container.

Sigh................ :laughing::antenna::antenna:

I don't think the plants and animals in sensitive areas become any less sensitive if you are there to find a marker instead of a container.

That might depend upon exactly where and how those devices are located. But for sure certain, if neither can be accessed without causing harm, then neither ought to be used to attract visitors, be they geocachers or not.

Limits and bounds.

Edited by Team Cotati

I just saw this story about vandalism in a Florida cemetery. It made me wonder what would happen if there was a cache there (and I don't know, maybe there is). On the one hand, increased traffic might deter vandals. On the other hand, geocachers might become a scapegoat and get blamed for it.

The only time I've felt strange doing a cemetery cache was in an old historic one right next to a busy road. But that wasn't unique to the cemetery; I'd have felt the same way at any roadside cache. Possibly moreso -- at least an old cemetery is a likely place for a person to be slowly looking around at things.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I think cemetery caches should not be automatically rejected. I have done two which were well thought out.

The first was done as a tribute to the crew of a plane which crashed on the site near the end of World War II and which has been almost forgotten today. It sure made me think about the sacrifices that generation made.

The second was a small 200-year old cemetery in what is now an urban area, which is almost completely surrounded by development. Unless you look, you'd never even know it was there. Cache was placed in the wall around the cemetery itself. I thought this one was also well done - the owner discussed the history of the site and notable people buried there. The site itself is an unexpected island of tranquility in a suburban ocean. I was quite glad to have found it.

Cemetery caches have their place.

I just saw this story about vandalism in a Florida cemetery. It made me wonder what would happen if there was a cache there (and I don't know, maybe there is). On the one hand, increased traffic might deter vandals. On the other hand, geocachers might become a scapegoat and get blamed for it.

My guess is that traffic created by geocaching wouldn't likely be a big hindrance to vandals. I had a buddy that used to take care of cemeteries for lawn care, snow removal and would also repair or clean stones that were vandalized and he said that from talking with police and funeral home directors that he felt most of it happened at night...the few times anyone was ever caught it was young teenage kids playing around after dark.

I suppose it wouldn't help some, but I would be surprised if it was major factor in limiting these types of nocturnal activities.

Although, one virtual I did once with a friend was in a cemetery at night...was actually kind of fun doing it like that.

I've been very impressed by the cemetery caches that I've found. One of them, I found with my wife on our 15th anniversary...and it turned out to be a very special occasion for us. It was a tiny 100+ year-old cemetery that would have forever vanished from notice without the geocache...and one of the grave markers was for a 1-year old child, and another for a set of twin infants. It really touched us, since we lost an infant years ago.

There was one cache that I found with my nieces and nephews just off the road in Alabama that was in an area completely overgrown. You felt like you were in the woods until you found, here and there, an occasional ancient headstone (mostly illegible). It was getting really close to dusk and a little creepy. Although it wasn't actually IN the cemetery, the cache container bordered (okay, maybe crossed) the line...it was a styrofoam skull with a pill bottle in it. As dark as it was, it wasn't very well appreciated by my 6-9 year old nieces/nephew (they DID talk a lot about it later, though).

So...Yes to the first, NO to the second.

I think cemetery caches should not be automatically rejected. I have done two which were well thought out.

The first was done as a tribute to the crew of a plane which crashed on the site near the end of World War II and which has been almost forgotten today. It sure made me think about the sacrifices that generation made.

The second was a small 200-year old cemetery in what is now an urban area, which is almost completely surrounded by development. Unless you look, you'd never even know it was there. Cache was placed in the wall around the cemetery itself. I thought this one was also well done - the owner discussed the history of the site and notable people buried there. The site itself is an unexpected island of tranquility in a suburban ocean. I was quite glad to have found it.

Cemetery caches have their place.

And how do you feel about the need for obtaining permission from the owner/manager of the cemetery prior to placing physical caches, even in those cemeteries that might appear as though they have been 'abandoned'?

Should special consideration (placing of physical caches) be given to the more active, in terms of frequent burials, cemeteries?

Verbal or written? Should a note wrt permission be placed in the cache description as is often done wrt caches that are placed on private property?

Edited by Team Cotati

Personally I really like cemetery caches, but then I enjoyed exploring old cemeteries before we started geocaching anyway.

The cemetery caches around our area are all respectfully none and the actual cache containers are not in/on gravestones. The 'new' cemetery in our town - which is the one still being 'added to' at present does not have a cache (and I don't think any of our local cache hiders is very likely to put one there), but many of our old historic cemeteries do.

Like others have said, I think it is a valuable recognition of our ancestors to visit these older cemeteries and reflect on the past, on their times and how they lived, the struggles they faced, often as pioneers in a new area - things like having many young children die or accidents in working or travel situation.

Plus, older cemeteries especially, they are often a place also where nature has taken hold in the area, and can be very beautiful and peaceful with the trees and plants around.

How individial people feel about being in a burial area of any kind is generally related to their beliefs/feelings/experiences about death and dying, so it is understandable that people have a range of different responses to this type of cache. I think it would be polite/helpful if it is made clear in a cache description that it is in a cemetery, so that people can choose or not to go there.