Green Etrex Venture

Last year, I won a green Etrex Venture but it broke after about six weeks worth of weekend geocaching use. Specifically I would switch it on but then it would automatically switch itself off after about 10seconds. I sent it back to Garmin who replaced it with a brand new one (can't fault their after sales service!). This one has worked fine for about six months now but today it started to do the same as the first one had - switching itself off after 10 seconds or so. It seems a bit odd to me that I now have had two GPSrs do this - I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar with this make/model?

In the meantime I have gone back to using my yellow Etrex - which I bought new in Spring 2004 and which has never let me down (fingers crossed, knock on wood etc!)

Last year, I won a green Etrex Venture but it broke after about six weeks worth of weekend geocaching use. Specifically I would switch it on but then it would automatically switch itself off after about 10seconds. I sent it back to Garmin who replaced it with a brand new one (can't fault their after sales service!). This one has worked fine for about six months now but today it started to do the same as the first one had - switching itself off after 10 seconds or so. It seems a bit odd to me that I now have had two GPSrs do this - I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar with this make/model?

In the meantime I have gone back to using my yellow Etrex - which I bought new in Spring 2004 and which has never let me down (fingers crossed, knock on wood etc!)

It happened to mine every now and then. I suspect it's the battery contacts which get a bit loose, and then a bit of a knock or other shock can momentarily cause a brief lack of power. I just bent them out a bit with a screwdriver to make the batteries a slightly tighter fit.