geocoins

soulranger

Hello everyone. I'm new to geocaching (just ordered a GPS so i haven't even went yet). Geocaching sounds very interesting and I can't wait to get into it. However, after reading the info on the geocaching page regarding the geocoins, I have a few questions about the coins. As I understand it, you buy the geocoins online and activate them to get them into circulation. What i'm not understanding is why one would want to spend $20 or $30 (for more rare ones), only to go put it in a cache and give it away? I like the idea of the travel bugs, but the geocoins concept eludes me. Am i missing something here? I could see spending $5 or so on one and put it in a cache, but is there a reason people spend a ton of money on some of them, just to give it away?

My other questions are a little more specific.... if i were to find a geocoin in a cahce, but leave it there, i would just "discover" it, correct?

What is the difference between retrieving the coin from a cache, and "grabbing" the coin?? The how to use a geocoin page seems a bit contradictory at times. It says that if someone shows you a geocoin, you would "discover" it. So would i be wrong when i said above that "discovering" a coin is what you would do if you found one in a cache but did not take it?

"If the geocoin is listed as being in a cache, you will have two options: retrieve it from the cache or grab the geocoin." isn't that the same thing? I am assuming that if you actually take the coin from the cache, that you would chose retrieve it from the cache. But if you didn't take it, why would you "grab" it? I don't get the difference.

"Once you log that you have either picked up a geocoin or grabbed it from somewhere else, you can drop it off in a cache. " where else would you "grab" one from?

It also says that if there is no geocoins on my "log a cache page", that someone might have grabbed the geocoin from me before i was able to log it. how can someone grab it from me if i still physically have the coin in my possession??

Sorry this is so long, but i just don't fully get the geocoins thing.... can someone out there explain it a little better? I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!!!!

Hello everyone. I'm new to geocaching (just ordered a GPS so i haven't even went yet). Geocaching sounds very interesting and I can't wait to get into it. However, after reading the info on the geocaching page regarding the geocoins, I have a few questions about the coins. As I understand it, you buy the geocoins online and activate them to get them into circulation. What i'm not understanding is why one would want to spend $20 or $30 (for more rare ones), only to go put it in a cache and give it away? I like the idea of the travel bugs, but the geocoins concept eludes me. Am i missing something here? I could see spending $5 or so on one and put it in a cache, but is there a reason people spend a ton of money on some of them, just to give it away?

What people do with the coins is kind of up to them.

Nothing says you HAVE to release them as TBs. There are some people who collect the coins and keep them. They may bring them to event to show, but they never go into a cache. What some may do with extra rare coins (or expensive ones) is trade with others for other rare coins. In this sense, the coins are just another collectable item.

Keep that in mind. Geocoins can be a collectable item, a trade item (trade geocoin for geocoin, either in person or thru a cache) or a TB.

My other questions are a little more specific.... if i were to find a geocoin in a cahce, but leave it there, i would just "discover" it, correct?

Yup. You can discover both TBs or geocoins that you spot in a cache but do not take. The advantage for you is you can get the unique icon that is associated with that coin. For the owner (and others) they have a verification that the coin is still in the cache and has not disappeared.

What is the difference between retrieving the coin from a cache, and "grabbing" the coin?? The how to use a geocoin page seems a bit contradictory at times. It says that if someone shows you a geocoin, you would "discover" it. So would i be wrong when i said above that "discovering" a coin is what you would do if you found one in a cache but did not take it?

Its the same thing. You can "discover" a coin that you see in a cache and do not take, or that is possessed by another geocacher that you met. Again, this allows you to get the icon for that coin, but makes it easier for the owner (and you) because if you 'take' the coin from the cache or person, then you have to return it back to the cache (a separate activity) or the owner must 'take' it from you.

"If the geocoin is listed as being in a cache, you will have two options: retrieve it from the cache or grab the geocoin." isn't that the same thing? I am assuming that if you actually take the coin from the cache, that you would chose retrieve it from the cache. But if you didn't take it, why would you "grab" it? I don't get the difference.

Don't know what you quoting. You either physically take the coin from the cache (with the intent of moving it to another cache, which means that when you log your find on this cache, you must ALSO take the coin from the cache so that you can put it in the new cache.

The other option, as noted, is the discover option.

"Once you log that you have either picked up a geocoin or grabbed it from somewhere else, you can drop it off in a cache. " where else would you "grab" one from?

You can 'grab' it from a person. I have over a dozen activiated coins that I own that stay with me, both physically, and in my GC account.

It also says that if there is no geocoins on my "log a cache page", that someone might have grabbed the geocoin from me before i was able to log it. how can someone grab it from me if i still physically have the coin in my possession??

Keep in mind we are talking about 2 kinds of 'grabbing' and 'placing'.

One is the physical kind. You grab the real coin from the real cache (or person).

The second is the record or virtual kind. Updating the information on gc.com to show that you 'grabbed' the coin from a cache or person, now putting in 'your' position, and then putting the coin in its new location (cache or person).

To affect the second, you need the info on the coin. What usually happens is that before you can update the gc.com info, someone has picked up the coin you dropped off. As they have the info on the coin, they can do this, tho its usually better for record keeping to give people the chance to move the geocoin record from the old position to the new one.

Does this help?

I could see spending $5 or so on one and put it in a cache, but is there a reason people spend a ton of money on some of them, just to give it away?

We bought a handful of coins to release as trackables, and we like to find them in caches and keep them moving, but it ends there.

I think for some people, collecting geocoins has become a hobby separate from geocaching. Some people are willing to pay $thousands for postage stamps, and I guess others are willing to pay $20-$30 for geocoins.

You are getting good advice.

Some coins are just collected and never put in any cache, or allowed to be logged by others. The most expensive ones and the most rare ones get treated this way quite often, for obvious reasons.

Some coins are not put in caches, but do allow others to see them and "discover" them. A lot of coins have cool icons that will show up in your account, and that is the reason people want to log them even if they can't own them or move them. Again, these tend to be rare or expensive.

Some coins are put in caches unactivated as trade items. These are meant for the next finder to take them and trade something for them. That person can activate the coin and do with it as they please. These are usually still sealed up and perhaps even placed in a small bag with a note specifying they are meant to be a trade item (or an outright gift, if that is the case). This is probably the most rare experience with coins.

If I don't see that kind of note, I make inquiries--sometimes these belong to new folks who didn't know they should activate their coins before sending them out.

Most coins are put out in caches already activated. They are meant to be used as trackable items.

If you find one of them in a cache, you may "discover" them if you don't move them, or you may move them to another cache.

If you move them, you should log them out of the cache you find them in ("retrieve") and log them into the cache you place them in ("drop").

If someone hands you a coin that is trackable, you "grab" that coin from them and then "drop" it into the next cache, or allow someone else to "grab" that coin from you when you pass it to them. This happens most often at events.

Sometimes cachers forget to "drop" a coin into a cache and it still shows up "in the hands of x"

If you are sure they have forgotten to log the coin (and they might be traveling, so give it some time!) then you "grab" the coin from them, "Drop" it into the cache where you found it, and "retrieve" the coin from the cache again so you can "drop" in into the next cache. I usually give the last handler a week or two to catch up their logging, and email them, before I grab the coin. They may have forgotten, or they may be traveling.

Again, a lot of coins have speacial icons. That is why some people like to log coins they only see or move. Some people collect coins, some collect icons on their account, some do both.

Edited by Neos2

thank you so much for all the info, that definately helped me get a handle on how they work and their purposes. Understanding that some people treat them as baseball finatics do baseball cards, helped me make sense out of it. Again, thank you for the info.

I think i got a good handle on the travel bug tags... but just to be sure, you can pretty ,much attach them, to any item in a cache, and they are meant to stay on that item. correct?

Thanks again!

thank you so much for all the info, that definately helped me get a handle on how they work and their purposes. Understanding that some people treat them as baseball finatics do baseball cards, helped me make sense out of it. Again, thank you for the info.

I think i got a good handle on the travel bug tags... but just to be sure, you can pretty much attach them, to any item in a cache, and they are meant to stay on that item. correct?

Thanks again!

I think i got a good handle on the travel bug tags... but just to be sure, you can pretty much attach them, to any item in a cache, and they are meant to stay on that item. correct?

Yes, the TB tags are meant to stay on the item, but you wouldn't typically attach it to 'any item in a cache' (i.e swag). Instead you would attach the TB tag to an item you own and wish to see travel from cache to cache.

Some coins are just collected and never put in any cache, or allowed to be logged by others. The most expensive ones and the most rare ones get treated this way quite often, for obvious reasons.

Some coins are not put in caches, but do allow others to see them and "discover" them. A lot of coins have cool icons that will show up in your account, and that is the reason people want to log them even if they can't own them or move them. Again, these tend to be rare or expensive.

Some coins are put in caches unactivated as trade items. These are meant for the next finder to take them and trade something for them. That person can activate the coin and do with it as they please. These are usually still sealed up and perhaps even placed in a small bag with a note specifying they are meant to be a trade item (or an outright gift, if that is the case). This is probably the most rare experience with coins.

If I don't see that kind of note, I make inquiries--sometimes these belong to new folks who didn't know they should activate their coins before sending them out.

Most coins are put out in caches already activated. They are meant to be used as trackable items.

If you find one of them in a cache, you may "discover" them if you don't move them, or you may move them to another cache.

If you move them, you should log them out of the cache you find them in ("retrieve") and log them into the cache you place them in ("drop").

If someone hands you a coin that is trackable, you "grab" that coin from them and then "drop" it into the next cache, or allow someone else to "grab" that coin from you when you pass it to them. This happens most often at events.

Sometimes cachers forget to "drop" a coin into a cache and it still shows up "in the hands of x"

If you are sure they have forgotten to log the coin (and they might be traveling, so give it some time!) then you "grab" the coin from them, "Drop" it into the cache where you found it, and "retrieve" the coin from the cache again so you can "drop" in into the next cache. I usually give the last handler a week or two to catch up their logging, and email them, before I grab the coin. They may have forgotten, or they may be traveling.

Again, a lot of coins have speacial icons. That is why some people like to log coins they only see or move. Some people collect coins, some collect icons on their account, some do both.

This is GREAT info and a big help. I copied it to my NOTES section on my PDA for future Reference! Thanks again!

I thought I had the geocoin procedures down, but I'm having terrible luck because my coins are taken but not logged in to the site. Hopefully, they are "Muggled" not taken from a real geocacher. I see so many coin logs that have long histories and have traveled many miles. Mine just get swiped. Any suggestions about getting the coins back in the fold (database).

Edited by Peggo

I've got a question. If I see a geocoin in a cache, would would be a decent trade for it?

Since geocoins and travel bugs are travelers there really isn't a need to trade for them. Just move them on to another cache and don't keep them. Peolpe get real cranky about that.

I've got a question. If I see a geocoin in a cache, would would be a decent trade for it?

Since geocoins and travel bugs are travelers there really isn't a need to trade for them. Just move them on to another cache and don't keep them. Peolpe get real cranky about that.

So I could just grab it and move it too another location? What if I want to keep the geocoin as a collectible, is that possible? If so, what would be my next step?

I'm new to geocaching so I'm just setting things straight. Thanks for all the help.

Since geocoins and travel bugs are travelers there really isn't a need to trade for them. Just move them on to another cache and don't keep them. People get real cranky about that.

So I could just grab it and move it too another location? What if I want to keep the geocoin as a collectible, is that possible? If so, what would be my next step?

I'm new to geocaching so I'm just setting things straight. Thanks for all the help.

If the geocoin is activated it is intended to be moved from cache to cache, not to be made into a part of someone's private collection. That is what I was referring to when I said people get cranky.

If you want to collect coins check out the geocoin topics. You can buy and trade to your heart's content.

If the geocoin is activated it is intended to be moved from cache to cache, not to be made into a part of someone's private collection. That is what I was referring to when I said people get cranky.

If you want to collect coins check out the geocoin topics. You can buy and trade to your heart's content.

Yeah as much as I fell in love with the first geocoin I found, if its activated, you need to look it up and see what the new owner wants to do with it and send it on its way.