Here we go...

asromzek

This is my first post in the forums.. so yay for that!

Went on a trip a week ago out of state and a friend of mine let me borrow his dashtop GPS to navigate around Pennsylvania. I had never used a GPS and was immediately impressed with how it worked. On the way back home going through Detroit I stopped at a Target store and found a similar unit with a nice touch screen. Bought it on the spot. (Probably should have waited and saves some money via Amazon.. but it was too tempting :P) The next day while playing with it, a friend of mine asked if I was going to do any geocaching with it. I had read into it before but never felt like dumping the money on the required equipment. I figured, why not.. it could work. I was happy to find that I could enter in coordinates manually, so I picked a nearby cache and went after it on the way home from work.

It worked very well for getting me there on the roads, but was a little tricky to use on foot. Ended up not finding the cache due to the 8 inches of snow on the ground, but it was a good test. According to the GPS I was within 2 feet of where the coordinates were, which matched the description on the website. It got dark so I went home.

The next night I described what geocaching was to my girlfriend and she was unexpectedly interested in going out right then and there to look for one. I picked a couple of small caches in the middle of a wal-mart and home depot parking lot. Drove to where the GPS told me to go, within 10 feet and found two caches. Too much fun. We're both hooked now.

Yesterday I decided that this is enough fun to dump some money a decent hand held GPS. Did quite a bit of research on the forums among other places and picked the one that seemed perfect, and was within my budget. It'll be arriving later today via UPS and I've already got a road trip planned to grab a few caches.

I was glad that I saw the tip about taking a pair of tweezers. Makes it much easier to retrieve the log in those little micro caches. I've also dug out my old palm pilot and will be getting that up and running over the weekend.

List of Equipment So Far

- Garmin Nuvi 200 (For getting me there on the roads)

- Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (For finishing the job on foot)

- Palm m130 (Going paperless!)

- Tweezers (Good tip)

Hello new hobby. :unsure: Goodbye checking account balance. :P