60 cs vs csx? Woryh it?

zedex

Hi. I have had a gpsmap 60 cs for a year or so and love it. Been looking at a csx though :yikes: . My question is. Do you notice a difference in satellite aquisition in heavy treed areas? Has anyone put a csx head to head with a cs? The ability to store almost unlimited mapping is bonus with the csx but for my usage its not that important. The garmin website boasts of the surf chip but is it a vast improvement over the cs?Any other noticeable improvements?

Thanks very much. :P

And. How do you fix a title screw up. Woryh it??? :P:unsure:

Edited by zedex

My sis-in-law has the CS. I have the CSx. When we've cached together we have noticed how she can lose satellite lock at the drop of a hat, especially under tree cover. At the same time, my signals stay strong. Also, my startup-to-signal-lock time was significantly less than hers. I'd be getting directions to the cache while she was still searching the skies. Is there a significant difference? From my experience, I'd say so. Is it enough to justify the cost of the new device? I'm afraid only you can answer that one.

The garmin website boasts of the surf chip but is it a vast improvement over the cs?

The CX/CSX SiRF chip is a great improvement over non-High-Performance chip.

You could get a [different] High Performance chip in any of the new H-series eTrexen and not have to spend the big CSX $$$.

I have a 60cx and love it.

I upgraded from the 60cs to the 60csx about 2 months ago. MUCH faster to aquire a signal lock and keeps the signal lock much better. However if you don't go into to many canyons or heavily tree'd area's your basically buying faster startup time. The new Garmin Colorado is out, so if your buying a new unit you might want to get the latest and greatest if you can swing the price.

<snip> How do you fix a title screw up

You can't edit your own title. That requires a Moderator or an Administrator.

I upgraded to the 76CSx from the 76S. The newer technology receiver chipset is a huge improvement and well worth it in my opinion.

The 76S was a fine unit. Performance and accuracy between my 76S and 76CS seemed quite comperable, although new features made the 76CS upgrade well worth it. Still, I think it's important to note that you are comparing units two generations apart. Not quite fair.

My sis-in-law has the CS. I have the CSx. When we've cached together we have noticed how she can lose satellite lock at the drop of a hat, especially under tree cover. At the same time, my signals stay strong. Also, my startup-to-signal-lock time was significantly less than hers. I'd be getting directions to the cache while she was still searching the skies. Is there a significant difference? From my experience, I'd say so. Is it enough to justify the cost of the new device? I'm afraid only you can answer that one.

I believe every word of your post. But, I can say EXACTLY the same thing when comparing my 60CS and my 76CS. The 76CS is great, but the 60CS sucks, and these are supposed to be practically identical. I also had two identical 76S units. On one the rocker switch worked as intended. The other one would not respond to input frequently.

I don't like my Legend C, but it seems to work as intended. As much as I like Garmin, especially the rock solid 76CS, I have seen quality control issues on 40% of my units. You can not take any ONE personal experience as an absolute guarantee that YOU will see the same performance. You need a larger sample of experiences to have confidence in the data.

Thanks for all the replies. My cs works great and still gets a signal in heavy trees.It has lost signal a few times but regains it immediately. Its a rock solid unit and i have reservations about getting a dud.

I have heard stories about the cx,csx having a non bright screen as compared to the cs. Is this true? Is it an issue or just an observation.

Thanks.

I just got my 60CSx and have played around with it for the last week - the reception is unbelievable. I have been getting 20 ft accuracy in the basement of my 2 story house with it; I used to have to put my old Magellan on a window sill to get reception inside, so the 60CSx is awesome in my book. I haven't used it in a canyon yet - but that is coming.

Also - it is getting so cheap - with the $50 rebate I got mine for $270. I think they are selling the inventory off to make room for the Colorado.