Music attached to cache page

ZoomLens

I've got an idea brewing that requires listening to some music, but I know it's not possible to make a computer play music when opening the cache page nowadays (and that is annoying anyway). So, does anyone have any clever ideas about how I can post music to a cache page for people to listen to?

I imagine that it will involve hosting the file elsewhere - anyone got any ideas about where to do that as well?

Thanks muchly.

I've got an idea brewing that requires listening to some music, but I know it's not possible to make a computer play music when opening the cache page nowadays (and that is annoying anyway). So, does anyone have any clever ideas about how I can post music to a cache page for people to listen to?

I imagine that it will involve hosting the file elsewhere - anyone got any ideas about where to do that as well?

Thanks muchly.

The only way I can think of doing it is to create a link to a WMA or similar file on the cache page but like you've said it will have to be hosted somewhere and will cost £, not a lot, I think you can get a domain name plus some reasonable storage space now for under £20.

I have tried uploading non jpg files to the geocache site but it doesn't like it........shame! :P

TLHM

There are several caches around Market Harborough set by Starz-Bars that include a CD in the cache, you take a CD, listen to it and need to then answer questions based on the tracks to find the next cache in the series. Works very well & a great way to work on a Puzzle! I guess there is some overhead in keeping the cache stocked up with CD's though.

Jon.

There are several caches around Market Harborough set by Starz-Bars that include a CD in the cache, you take a CD, listen to it and need to then answer questions based on the tracks to find the next cache in the series. Works very well & a great way to work on a Puzzle! I guess there is some overhead in keeping the cache stocked up with CD's though.

Jon.

You dont need to go to all the trouble of stocking up with CD's, just make a link to a free upload site which has the necessary music on it. Put this link in the cache box......Then all you need do is to go to that link, listen to it, get the clues and on to the next cache.

contact Snaik or Perth Pathfinders.

A couple of their caches that i was looking at yesterday had music play when you opened the cache page.

Can't remember what ones but they were close to the A9 motorway cos i was looking for a cache along my route for next weekend.

Good Luck

Was just having a look through some of the other forums and think I may have found the answer for you, can't do the linky thing at work but have a look under: general geocaching discusions then page 3 and its about 6 down. Hope this helps.

That would appear to be it in a nutshell. Now to work out the best place to have it hosted.

Thanks very much!

This thread has inspired me, so thanks for that. I just need to sort out a couple of other things but there should be a new cache going out in the Colwyn Bay area in the next week or so. I used, further to a recommendation earlier in this thread, bravehost. Signed up, logged in and uploading sound file in under 10 minutes. And for free. Marvellous!

I do this on one of my listings (just for fun; it's not required listening), though with the change of rules you are no longer allowed to require data download - which is what this is.

I'm sure our trusty moderators can give a definitive answer on this, but I very much doubt you'd get it published. :anicute:

Thanks muchly.

Try tjapukai's 'Dorking by Sounds series, a few of which I have completed. His are very difficult but the idea could be adapted for new caches [for the masses and not the few]

GCXED7 ,GCZMAG [very irritating music on this one!]

Tjapukai is a very ammenable chap and i'm sure help you out further.

I do this on one of my listings (just for fun; it's not required listening), though with the change of rules you are no longer allowed to require data download - which is what this is.

I'm sure our trusty moderators can give a definitive answer on this, but I very much doubt you'd get it published. :laughing:

As of late 07 Groundspeak decided to allow the download of Audio files [MP3] but the owner has to put the following warning just before the download link

Alert: You are about to download a file in order to obtain further details needed to find this geocache. As the cache owner, I represent that this file is safe to download although the files needed to complete this geocache have not been checked by Groundspeak or by the Geocache Reviewer for possible malicious content. As a result, you are downloading this file at your own risk.

[insert link here]

Please note this is a mandatory requirement and is not up for discussion. Also any one submitting such a cache must be aware of Geocaching.com's TOU specifically sections 7 and 10.

Deci

Thanks to everyone for their posts - To assure those that have pm'd me about it, I'm not adding music because I think its cool (I actually think its annoying) but because that is the way to find the cache.

Thanks also for the kind offers of hosting - It's going to be a few weeks until I can get it all sorted, but will be in touch.

Thanks

ZL