Wherigo hybrid

WalruZ

If I do a cartridge of my own material I'll probably make it so that doing the cartridge also shows you the coords for a geocache. I'll then make a puzzle that requires playing the cartridge to find the cache.

Assuming that's even ok.

We already have letterbox hybrids. How about Wherigo hybrids? Everyone knows that geocachers will do anything for a smiley.

If I do a cartridge of my own material I'll probably make it so that doing the cartridge also shows you the coords for a geocache. I'll then make a puzzle that requires playing the cartridge to find the cache.

Something similar occurred to me. It would be a "walking" or "virtual puzzle" puzzle cache that is solved on the fly.

Would you make this cache accessible to those who don't have Wherigo? (For example, I expect that I will be stuck to playing with the Wherigo on my laptop with the Google maps for some time, as I can't afford any new gadgets until after school. *sigh*)

We expect a lot of people will start out by making a geocaching/Wherigo hybrid cartridge. In fact, there is a template in the builder to help you with this.

In the Builder select File > New Cartridge and give it a name. Then in the cartridge window under "Activity Type" select "geocache" from the dropdown.

One question about a Wherigo based geocache. Does the trail I take you on to waypoints still have to be 528 feet from any other waypoint?

We haven't put together a list of guidelines for Wherigo and Geocaching but assume if you want a cache listed on Geocaching.com you still need to continue to follow the guidelines for cache placements. I don't believe you have to worry about distances for places where you merely have to answer a question, and I expect most Wherigo cartridges will rely more on virtual elements to lead you to a final cache location instead of, say, stages where micro containers have coordinates to the next cache. Physical distances between physical containers will continue to apply for cache placement.

One question about a Wherigo based geocache. Does the trail I take you on to waypoints still have to be 528 feet from any other waypoint?

We haven't put together a list of guidelines for Wherigo and Geocaching but assume if you want a cache listed on Geocaching.com you still need to continue to follow the guidelines for cache placements. I don't believe you have to worry about distances for places where you merely have to answer a question, and I expect most Wherigo cartridges will rely more on virtual elements to lead you to a final cache location instead of, say, stages where micro containers have coordinates to the next cache. Physical distances between physical containers will continue to apply for cache placement.

Thanks for the answer. I was worried about making a virtual stage but a cache is too close and it would violate the 528 feet. I want to do a couple of virtual stages that then with the questions answered led you too the final where there is a cache container. So if I'm reading your reply right the virtual would be ok just as long as the physical container is far enough away from any existing caches or parts of a multi.

I assuming a adventure like this can be published on www.geocaching.com as long as I have a physcial container at the end of the adventure or will we be stuck posting it on the Wherigo.com site completely and unable to list it on the geocaching.com site?

I assuming a adventure like this can be published on www.geocaching.com as long as I have a physcial container at the end of the adventure or will we be stuck posting it on the Wherigo.com site completely and unable to list it on the geocaching.com site?

We'd certainly allow you to create a Wherigo cartridge that can be listed on Geocaching.com. Our feeling is this is another Mystery style cache though we have yet to decide whether it is a new cache type, an attribute for a cache, or something else. The hope is we can further link the two sites (and three, including Waymarking.com) better together and we're already doing that as part of our Phoenix project strategy. But even before then we'll sort out the best way to display Wherigo cartridges on the Geocaching.com site.

This was inspired partially by multi-caches. It'd be great to have a multi-cache that doesn't require math to find the final cache!

We'd certainly allow you to create a Wherigo cartridge that can be listed on Geocaching.com. Our feeling is this is another Mystery style cache though we have yet to decide whether it is a new cache type, an attribute for a cache, or something else. The hope is we can further link the two sites (and three, including Waymarking.com) better together and we're already doing that as part of our Phoenix project strategy. But even before then we'll sort out the best way to display Wherigo cartridges on the Geocaching.com site.

This was inspired partially by multi-caches. It'd be great to have a multi-cache that doesn't require math to find the final cache!

That was my first thought, this would be great for multi caches! There are a lot of multi-caches around here that require you to gather info on site and convert that info into coords. Wherigo will be perfect for that. Also, it'll allow you to take someone on a tour somewhere where geocaches aren't allowed. Show them the cool area, and then take them to the cache hidden somewhere else where it is allowed. Perfect!

I'm very excited about this new development and plan to be an early adopter. I have a multicache that is already set up as a story line (each wp continues the story). Will there be a way (or allowance) to have the geocache I already own as both a normal geocache AND as a Wherigo cartridge? For this example, both the Geocache and the cartridge would share the exact same coordinates (with the Wherigo being more interactive and detail rich).

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm really excited about this. This is going to be a lot of fun. And not as much math!!! :)

Now all we need is a kick butt icon to go with them. :)

Also, I was wondering if you would allow Wherigo cartridges to be set in National and State Parks, since I know you do not allow physical containers on National Park land - only grandfathered "virtual" caches. Thank You!

I think that's one of the benefits of Wherigo...we can now show people places that we couldn't with geocaches. As long as you don't hide any physical containers, it's all good!

There is now a new cache type: Wherigo Geocache. The guidelines page says:

A Wherigo geocache uses your Wherigo cartridge to lead you ultimately to the physical geocache location. The cartridges must reside at Wherigo.com. If a cartridge is used as a requirement to find a geocache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it may also have a puzzle or multi-cache component. Cache saturation applies only to physical containers, and not virtual elements. Standard geocaching guidelines apply.

A device that can play Wherigo is not considered special equipment.

Is there a way to link the Wherigo-hybrid cache to the cartridge other than just posting a URL link on the cache page? What about a reverse link from the cartridge to the cache page? Same deal, just list it in the text description?

I've got one that I've put together and am just waiting approval from the park it is in before placing the cache and uploading the cartridge.

AK

The geocache owner will initially have to use the “User’s Web Page” a.k.a. "Related web page" field to link to the Wherigo cartridge listing on Wherigo.com. Eventually, there will be functionality to more easily link from the geocache page to the Wherigo.com page where the cartridge resides.

From the cartridge to the geocache page, just link it and/or use the GC# etc.