Player and Ipaq RX 3115

Nuwati

Hmm... Good question. I really don't know the difference in file sizes between the old Wherigo Player and the new one. What I do know is that the engine is much faster and things like load times are far quicker. The old cartridges used to be zip files while the new ones are linked binaries. Under the hood it is actually running lua on the fly. Pretty slick stuff and much more portable than the old PocketPC centric code.

Are you unable to load it on your device? If so let us know. I don't have an iPaq but I have tested with a Dell Axim with a GPS CompactFlash card. I have also used varius iQue units (though sadly not a Palm one).

Jeremy,

I removed it and reloaded the player. I also cut on my bluetooth connection and gps. It cranked right up and now all is well. Does the player look for the GPS on start up, that could have been the hold up. When I first started the player it would not do a thing. I work for the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and I see this as an unlimited resource far beyond the game application. Very tricky stuff. I am impressed.

Nuwati

Jeremy,

I removed it and reloaded the player. I also cut on my bluetooth connection and gps. It cranked right up and now all is well. Does the player look for the GPS on start up, that could have been the hold up. When I first started the player it would not do a thing. I work for the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and I see this as an unlimited resource far beyond the game application. Very tricky stuff. I am impressed.

Nuwati

It does require a connection to GPS on startup. We discussed it briefly today since we were having similar issues when trying to install it on a phone running Windows Mobile. It's definitely up for consideration on a future build to be more graceful about a GPS check.

The Garmin Colorado is much more graceful about it. It just takes the last known location until it can find something more current. Since we expose the accuracy of the GPS you can check for it as part of your Wherigo cartridge in case you want to ensure the quality of the signal. We do this, for example, in the Wherigo Tutorial. Since it is a Play Anywhere cartridge you really need to know the user is where they are before you create a zone on the fly.

I can see some great ideas with your employer. The Wherigo Media Team created a cartridge for an arboretum that was more for educational purposes, but the Player can even be used as a data gathering tool. We are definitely open to building experiences to try out new concepts so contact us if you have an idea in mind.

Hmm... Good question. I really don't know the difference in file sizes between the old Wherigo Player and the new one. What I do know is that the engine is much faster and things like load times are far quicker. The old cartridges used to be zip files while the new ones are linked binaries. Under the hood it is actually running lua on the fly. Pretty slick stuff and much more portable than the old PocketPC centric code.

Are you unable to load it on your device? If so let us know. I don't have an iPaq but I have tested with a Dell Axim with a GPS CompactFlash card. I have also used varius iQue units (though sadly not a Palm one).

I was wondering if the Pocket PC version of Wherigo would play on a Windows Mobile 5 - Dell Axin51V. I have a bluetooth gps I use with it and Cachenav.

I was wondering if the Pocket PC version of Wherigo would play on a Windows Mobile 5 - Dell Axin51V. I have a bluetooth gps I use with it and Cachenav.

I saw another Axim user stating they were having Out of Memory exception errors when running the application. I haven't had the same experience on my Dell Axim. I would love to know if it works for you. My assumption is that it should as long as you connect the GPS before you open the application.

I saw another Axim user stating they were having Out of Memory exception errors when running the application. I haven't had the same experience on my Dell Axim. I would love to know if it works for you. My assumption is that it should as long as you connect the GPS before you open the application.

Jeremey, what OS do you have on your Axim that works with the pocket pc version? Also the file is an html file , is that a plugin for Internet Explorer Mobile? I'd like to make sure its designed for Windows Mobile 5 before I try it? Sli23sli