Getting past Windows Mobile....

frelancr

We're definitely looking at the iPhone. The system is definitely portable to the device but we're having a wait and see approach with the SDK. Granted there are various unlocking tools on the 'net but we haven't seen a GPS attachment go into production yet. There is one coming though that even works with the iPod Touch.

Android is another interesting platform but since Google likes Java so much and our stuff works on C we'd have to find another way to get it working. The interface of the iPhone, however, works really well with how the Wherigo Player is designed. On the PocketPC we take advantage of the touchscreen for the Wherigo Player while we take advantage of the Rock and Roller' for the Garmin Colorado. It's been interesting trying to create experiences that will port and play in a similar fashion on devices with different capabilities and formats.

I hope to have a blog in the next few weeks so we can talk about different experiences with building the Wherigo Platform, but we have simplified the functionality so it could be ported to many different devices. While the PocketPC can play WAV files the Colorado can only do speaker beeps, but you can create a pretty effective experience with a piezo speaker. It was fun creating an application to essentially reinvent a lost skill of programming system beeps.

It was fun creating an application to essentially reinvent a lost skill of programming system beeps.
I remember those days (of playing games like that). :anicute:

Is there anyway to run this on a laptop? It seems like you could do this with a laptop with a hockey puck GPS. A car adventure would make those long drives more fun. The person riding shotgun could run the program....

It was fun creating an application to essentially reinvent a lost skill of programming system beeps.
I remember those days (of playing games like that). :P

Is there anyway to run this on a laptop? It seems like you could do this with a laptop with a hockey puck GPS. A car adventure would make those long drives more fun. The person riding shotgun could run the program....

I remember playing games like that too!

As I was reading through some of the documentation, this is the first thing I thought of. It's likely that I won't be getting a new GPSr or PDA for a number of years, so I'm going to have to try and load the software on the laptop and hook up the GPS for signal.

As I was reading through some of the documentation, this is the first thing I thought of. It's likely that I won't be getting a new GPSr or PDA for a number of years, so I'm going to have to try and load the software on the laptop and hook up the GPS for signal.

Right now, the player application only runs on PPC or the Garmin Colorado. For the Desktop(laptop), you can install the builder and run any playable cartridge (.gwc) in the emulator. The Emulator has a google maps interface where you drag an icon around the world to emulate gps. It's the same code as the player apps only on a desktop. This is so you can get a feel for the playing of a cartridge.

David.

Edited by davidloew

Right now, the player application only runs on PPC or the Garmin Colorado. For the Desktop(laptop), you can install the builder and run any playable cartridge (.gwc) in the emulator. The Emulator has a google maps interface where you drag an icon around the world to emulate gps. It's the same code as the player apps only on a desktop. This is so you can get a feel for the playing of a cartridge.

David.

I'd like to try this. So I downloaded the proper .Net Framework and the Builder, but it won't open the two .gwc files I downloaded from the site because it doesn't see them on my Desktop for some reason. Any ideas?

David.

I'd like to try this. So I downloaded the proper .Net Framework and the Builder, but it won't open the two .gwc files I downloaded from the site because it doesn't see them on my Desktop for some reason. Any ideas?

The builder is looking for a folder and so I would suggest that you create a folder on your desktop and then move the GWC files into this folder. Open the builder and then browse for cartridges again. If you do not see the GWC files within the folder you create, please let us know. We look forward to your feedback!

David.

The builder is looking for a folder and so I would suggest that you create a folder on your desktop and then move the GWC files into this folder. Open the builder and then browse for cartridges again. If you do not see the GWC files within the folder you create, please let us know. We look forward to your feedback!

Bummer, it still doesn't see them. I'm trying to open: j2b2_village_robot.gwc or wherigo_player_tutor.gwc

David.

Bummer, it still doesn't see them. I'm trying to open: j2b2_village_robot.gwc or wherigo_player_tutor.gwc

Interesting. It should be as easy as opening the builder, clicking on tools, selecting emulator and then searching for a GWC cartridge within a folder. What browser are you using and what steps are you taking? We will look into this.

David.

Interesting. It should be as easy as opening the builder, clicking on tools, selecting emulator and then searching for a GWC cartridge within a folder. What browser are you using and what steps are you taking? We will look into this.

That's the problem. I was opening the builder and then going to "File" and then clicking on "Open Cartridge." I guess you can't open them that way. It works if I open the emulator first. Thanks! Edited by TrailGators

Hello,

I've got it to work on my PC and completed the tutorial (and logged it). I somehow have two files in my Wherigo folder on my desktop, one wherigo_player_tutor.gwc of 641kb and one wherigo_player_tutor.gwl of 20kb

I have an Ipaq 4700 PPC with windows 2003 but can't get it to run on this. I get a screen saying "An unexpected error has occurred in Player.exe Quit and start again"

Any help please.

Regards

Bernard

Edit to add

The PPC runs out of memory. I've thrown out a few unneccessary bits and pieces from the device memory also put Wherigo onto the storage card therby gaining a bit more user memory. But still it won't work, still an out of memory error.

Edited by bcnorwich
That's the problem. I was opening the builder and then going to "File" and then clicking on "Open Cartridge." I guess you can't open them that way. It works if I open the emulator first. Thanks!

I did this same thing, kept trying to open from the builder. Works just fine once I realized I had to open the emulator first.

I've got it to work on my PC and completed the tutorial (and logged it). I somehow have two files in my Wherigo folder on my desktop, one wherigo_player_tutor.gwc of 641kb and one wherigo_player_tutor.gwl of 20kb

The GWC file is the original cartridge file and the GWL file is the cartridge log file. It is simply a text log of various things that happened while playing the cart. It is safe to delete the GWL file if you no longer need it. (And you don't for the Tutorial cart.)

Cheers,

-peter

A deployment on Palm OS, say for a Palm TX, would also be great.

Indeed.

That one point may have been accidentally skipped over when this topic was first answered. But it would be nice to hear of any plans (or no plans) to make it available for the PalmOS. It would be kind of short-sighted to not recognize there is still a pretty large user base with Palm Powered devices. Buying a bunch of new hardware may be a burden to entry for some.

A deployment on Palm OS, say for a Palm TX, would also be great.

Indeed.

That one point may have been accidentally skipped over when this topic was first answered. But it would be nice to hear of any plans (or no plans) to make it available for the PalmOS. It would be kind of short-sighted to not recognize there is still a pretty large user base with Palm Powered devices. Buying a bunch of new hardware may be a burden to entry for some.

Save my LifeDrive from an early death, it needs more work, TomTom and 'to dos' are boring it to . . .

Norm

The GWC file is the original cartridge file and the GWL file is the cartridge log file. It is simply a text log of various things that happened while playing the cart. It is safe to delete the GWL file if you no longer need it. (And you don't for the Tutorial cart.)

Cheers,

-peter

Thanks for the info, still can't get it going on my Ipaq.

Regards

Bernard