Windows Pocket PC platform?

geoduck.5

Ive installed it on my Pocket PC but it will not launch unless you have GPS on the phone or a Bluetooth GPS connected to the phone. Its to bad the you cant run it unless the GPS is enable.

If you want to see what it looks like you can install the builder application and run the Emulator (Tools -> Emulator). The emulator uses Google maps to allow you to drag a character around a screen. You can download either of the cartridges on the web site to see it in action.

We used the Mio 168 initially, then the Mio 350, and I've done testing on the Dell Axim and IQue M4 and M5. The integrated GPS units were far easier to test.

Of these, do you have one that you particularly recommend over the others?

I would be partial to the Mio series devices over the others. Though frankly I would move towards a phone running Windows Mobile over a dedicated handheld like a Palm or PocketPC device.

The challenge with GPS enabled phones, however, is they aren't necessarily built to give you the kind of accuracy you may want in a GPS unit. Companies like Garmin and Magellan understand where to position a GPS antenna and care about accuracy, while (and I'm making a generic statement) phones seem to have a "good enough" strategy where as long as you can get a decent enough signal for car navigation they're fine with it. Fortunately the new high-sensitivity GPS chips can make hardware manufacturers not have to focus on antennas as much as before - but it helps.

I'll also say that a connected phone often has assisted GPS which can get you connected to the satellites in seconds. That's pretty nifty. Also it opens up interconnected concepts like multiplayer gaming using Wherigo.

Amazingly, I was not particularly familiar with the Mio devices. Because I was already in the market for a car navigation system, like the idea of having PDA wireless, and conveniently made a bit of extra money today, I went online shopping. :huh:

Edited by carleenp

We used the Mio 168 initially, then the Mio 350, and I've done testing on the Dell Axim and IQue M4 and M5. The integrated GPS units were far easier to test.

We tried it on the Axim x51v (256 MB ROM and 64 MB RAM) and it didn't work. Trying to start the program we got an "Out of memory exception" :rolleyes:

Do we have not enough Memory? Which Axim did you try?

Thanks Hedda & Pascal

We tried it on the Axim x51v (256 MB ROM and 64 MB RAM) and it didn't work. Trying to start the program we got an "Out of memory exception" :rolleyes:

Thanks Hedda & Pascal

Hang in there for a couple days and the devs will be back from CES. I'm sure they will have some tips when they return!

I would be partial to the Mio series devices over the others. Though frankly I would move towards a phone running Windows Mobile over a dedicated handheld like a Palm or PocketPC device.

I just installed it on an O2 XDA Orbit (PDA with phone and GPS) under Windows Mobile 6. First time I ran it, it got to the initial screen but appeared to be doing nothing and the menu button wasn't responsive. I gave it several minutes because I know from programs I've written myself just how excruciatingly slow .NET programs are, but it got no further. I then tried to close the window. Still nothing happened for some time, then a minute or so later the screen half redrew and it locked up for good (at least, until I hit the reset button). After the reboot I tried again, This time it locked up on the initial screen with the wait cursor spinning. I left it for 15 minutes before hitting reset again.

Edited: sorry, I originally wrote XDA Exec but I meant XDA Orbit, can't think why I wrote Exec, sorry.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

[i just installed it on an O2 XDA Exec (PDA with phone and GPS) under Windows Mobile 6.

I have the XDA one generation before your one, and experience the same.

Perhaps the phone side of the PDA is throwing off the GPS Autodetect routine, causing the endless loop.

Regarding the OP, I don't think it will run on 2002. The Microsoft .Net Compact Framework V2 requires Windows Mobile 2003 and Wherigo requires .Net V2.

I guess I need to look at upgrading. Vista won't sync with WM2002 either, so my E740 is effectively obsolete.

Yep, found that out... Darn! Well, I think I found a copy of PPC 2003 that I'm going to load and see if that won't fix the PDA to run Wherigo. Thanks for confirming for me. :(

We tried it on the Axim x51v (256 MB ROM and 64 MB RAM) and it didn't work. Trying to start the program we got an "Out of memory exception" :o

Thanks Hedda & Pascal

It failed to run on my 128Mb RAM x51v also. The original version ran without a problem. I'm getting the same out of memory error. My Axim has 25 Mb program space available and 72 Mb of storage space in the main memory free. I'll try deleting some programs and if I can get it running. This is a Windows Mobile 5 unit.

Regarding the OP, I don't think it will run on 2002. The Microsoft .Net Compact Framework V2 requires Windows Mobile 2003 and Wherigo requires .Net V2.

I guess I need to look at upgrading. Vista won't sync with WM2002 either, so my E740 is effectively obsolete.

Yep, found that out... Darn! Well, I think I found a copy of PPC 2003 that I'm going to load and see if that won't fix the PDA to run Wherigo. Thanks for confirming for me. :P

Are you saying the E740 is upgradeable to 2003? The last I heard, Toshiba wasn't going to do an upgrade for this unit.

The challenge with GPS enabled phones, however, is they aren't necessarily built to give you the kind of accuracy you may want in a GPS unit. Companies like Garmin and Magellan understand where to position a GPS antenna and care about accuracy, while (and I'm making a generic statement) phones seem to have a "good enough" strategy where as long as you can get a decent enough signal for car navigation they're fine with it. Fortunately the new high-sensitivity GPS chips can make hardware manufacturers not have to focus on antennas as much as before - but it helps.

I'll also say that a connected phone often has assisted GPS which can get you connected to the satellites in seconds. That's pretty nifty. Also it opens up interconnected concepts like multiplayer gaming using Wherigo.

I’ve been reading about Wherigo all morning and my brain is starting to hurt.

I have to buy a new cell phone in the next 4 weeks and thought I might check in here to see if anyone is using a phone for Wherigo. If so, what would I need to look for in the phone- GPS capable, Windows Mobile … how much memory? What else should I consider? I’m not a techy so I have no idea what details to look for …

I’ve been reading all the problems folks are having just to get it to work on PPCs so I’m wondering if I should even bother to try it on a phone.

My 60CSx is just a year old (I love it) and my Palm is just over a year and working fine so I’m not going to buy replacements. But I am getting a new phone so I thought I’d look into what I would need to use Wherigo. Hopefully without workarounds/fixes.

I really like the idea of Wherigo. I guess my fav PC game is The Longest Journey.

Thanks for any help.

Happy Trails