Snowshoes!

I know Santa left quite a few of the folks in the NW forums with snowshoes this holiday season and there are quite a few folks who have them from seasons prior.

I don't yet own my own and have been pondering the acquisition... it goes like this:

Primaloft jacket... snowshoes... primaloft jacket... snowshoes.

In short:

Whatcha got for snowshoes?

Would you buy those again or get something Bigger! Better! Uncut!?

Has anyone here in the NW adjusted length based on the type of snow we have?

michelle

When I first started researching my purchase last year, I was told to shop for the snow that is typical in our area. Wet snow. That would allow me to purchase shoes 5 inches shorter than a typical Powder snow would require.

Knowing the NW the way I do, wet snow is not our only option so I went ahead and bought the big Atlas 1235.

A note: with my backpack, my combined wegiht comes in 290-300 lbs.

In the past year, I walked 3 different conditions.

Condition 1

A year ago on Mt Baker it was a combination of wet and powder so only went to mid-calf in 13 feet of snow.

Condition 2

Just this past weekend, we had a great opportunity to pound the powder just below Stevens Pass. We had 4 feet dump on top of the existing 2 feet of snow in one week. The result was as expected; most of us were mid-thigh deep in snow.

Conditino 3

I took my wife to Gold Creek the following day. We were facing 6-8 feet snowpack. This time, without my 30 lb backpack, (yah do the math), on crusted and more wet snow than the previous day, we sank a total of 7 inches. I suspect I would have gone down another 2-4 inches with the backpack on.

If you want good shoes that can handle most conditions and give you the best performance overall, I would make MSR my consideration. You can add or remove the tail fins according to the snow conditions you find yourself in. Also look at the heel televator as an option to have. For the extended hill climb, this televator will put your foot in a more comfortable position while keeping appropriate pressure on the snowshoe to keep you on top. Also, the more cleats or teeth you have around the foot area, the more traction you will have in the snow.

Do I regret my Atlas purchse? No. MSR doesn't make a tail combination to meet my weight at this time.

Remember one other thing in your consideration, every pound you add to your foot, equals five pounds in your backpack.

I wish I could find my reply from the forum discussion on this from last year, when it was all fresh in my mind, but here's what I remember:

I bought Atlas Elektra 923 women's snowshoes a year ago at REI ($130, but got 'em on sale for under $100). They are great! I did three major trips on them last winter in Washington: strenuous hike up to Artist Point at Mt Baker (for Grumblecache IV), easy hike off Hwy 2 (Hollow Tree cache), and easy hike at Gold Creek (Snoqualmie area).

Because our snows in Pacific NW tend to be wetter and denser, I went with the salesman's recommendations of slightly smaller snowshoes than my weight-with-pack might indicate. Hasn't been a problem. But in the lighter, drier, fluffier snows, of course I sink a bit more.

Besides snowshoe size, other things I remember:

• Don't get aluminum claws. They are on some cheaper shoes, and they bend more easily, say if you crunch on a rock. Mine have steel claws.
  • Some snowshoes now have a "free heel" option like that on XC skis; the greater range of movement is supposed to be better if you do a lot of steep hills (ensures more surface bite). I decided to go with the traditional approach (more shoe choices), which still has some shoe swing, and it worked fine on the steep hills at Mt Baker.
  • Be sure you can easily strap them on and unfasten them. Some fastening systems are harder to deal with when your fingers are frozen or muffled in gloves.

TotemLake posted some other considerations re: tail fins and heel elevators that didn't come up when I purchased mine, but sound like good things to look into. Some options are only available on more expensive snowshoes, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my first pair, since I didn't know how much I'd use them.

Edited by hydnsek

I know Santa left quite a few of the folks in the NW forums with snowshoes this holiday season and there are quite a few folks who have them from seasons prior.

I don't yet own my own and have been pondering the acquisition... it goes like this:

Primaloft jacket... snowshoes... primaloft jacket... snowshoes.

In short:

Whatcha got for snowshoes?

Would you buy those again or get something Bigger! Better! Uncut!?

Has anyone here in the NW adjusted length based on the type of snow we have?

michelle

I've got some Sam's Club Brand. Uncle Jim's or Uncle something or nothers. They fit my criteria They had to hold my weight, be easy to get on and off since I'm using them for caching and I can't drive with snowshoes on, and be medium durable. Plus affordable. NASA prices didn't interest me. Especially for the plastic I was seeing on the expensive ones. My use is short hops to caches. The day I bought them I was cursed. Life changed and I got to try them out in the back yard. Yup worked. Yup easy to get on and off. Never had a chance to try them on a winter cache since.

The only thing I think they have improved since the leather and wood ones my father in law used when he worked for the forest service is the straps and the ability to rotate your foot somewhat (free heel option in another post).

If my use was long snowey hikes to remote caches were I'd be spending the night. I'd ponder X Country skis. Skis tend to be better for going places. Snowshoes for working. A trapper who runs a trap line needs to work. Skis would suck. Someone who needs to get to town from the cabin and back. That's skis.

Now I need to check my claws and see if they are aluminum...Still I don't especialy care. I can bend aluminum back and if I'm clanking on rocks I'd be in boots. Snow here is wet, fluff, powder, hard pack and every one of the other bazillion Inuit words for snow types that they have. It varies, except it's always cold when you get it down your socks.

My armchair opinion. Take it with a grain of salt and wait for the experts to guide you home.

I have Atlas Summits, size 35". The Summits are no longer in the Atlas line, but looking at their website, the seem to be the equivalent of the Atlas 12's.

My wife has Redfeathers. Forget the model. I think they are 23 inches.

I've also tried Yakima and Tubbs over the years.

I like my Atlases. I've had them about 12 years now and I take them in some pretty hairy spots. I did have an issue 2 years ago when a rivet on the binding came out. I could still use the shoe but had to jerry rig the binding. I sent them back to Atlas in the off season and they were repaired for free. Not bad for a 10 year old snowshoe.

I went with the largest snowshoe available, 1-because I weigh 230 lbs and 2-because I like to go off trail and need the flotation. My wife went for a shorter shoe i because she usually follows me and doesn't need as much flotation (she also weighs like a hundred lbs less).

Unless you are going to buy several pairs in different sizes, you need to put some thought into how you are going to use it. Snowshoes come in a recommended weight range. You don't want to automatically get the largest shoe in your weight range because if you don't need it, you'll just be carting around unnecessary weight.

The general rule of thumb is that if you are going to be mostly sticking to packed trails and/or your snow is wet and heavy you can get away with a shoe on the smaller side of your weight spectrum. If you are going to be going off trail and/or your snow tends to be powdery you want to go with a larger shoe.

As far as brands, you can't go wrong with Atlas. Redfeather also seems pretty good. My wife likes hers and no problems after 10 years.

I didn't care for Yakima or Tubbs. Their bindings just plain stunk. The shoes would keep falling off (they used identical binding systems). I know they now also sell shoes with a plastic, ratchet binding but I have no experience with those. They may be better. But avoid the Tubbs/Yakima with older strap style bindings.

MSR also makes molded plastic snowshoes that get pretty good reviews. I've never used them however, so I can't vouch for their quality. They did have a problem with binding breakage in very cold weather when they first came out. I would hope they have addressed that since.

One nice feature of the MSR shoes is that you can buy additional tails and add or subtract length as you need it.

Also, before buying check the sierratradingpost website. They usually have very good prices on snowshoes.

Edited by briansnat

I rented the MSR Denali snowshoes. From REI.

The are molded plastic with two long serrated rows of teeth underneath. I also got the 8" tails to add on t the 22" shoes for a 30" total to support my 235# and 16# pack. Easy to get on and adjust. They make two newer versions with slightly narrower tips called EVo and another that is the EVO with a telavator.

They also make these slightly narrower altogether in a womens size.

I like the option for me to take the tails off for more packed trails. I don't think any size would have kept me from sinking in the 48" of fresh powder we were in.

I forget what someone called it- post holing? - where you make your way through the deep snow pulling your legs up and out of deep holes you create as you wriggle your way along. Anyway with snow up to my knees and me falling on my face a couple of times trying to wriggle my way through the snow to a cache I decided to buy some snowshoes on sale at the end of last year. Now that the snow is here I keep telling myself I have to get them out and go snowshoeing. When I got them last spring most of the snow was gone so I drove up to the top of the mountain where there was still patches of snow (above the frost line) and walked around trying them out. I think I'm going to need some gaiters (I think that's what they are called- can you tell I'm a novice) because the snow was flipping up onto the backside of my legs. Now all I have to do is convince myself to go out into this four degree weather we've been having. Maybe this weekend when it warms up.

My husband and I purchased ours at Sam's as well, last year. They are not a "Sam's Club brand" but Yukon Charlies. This year they carry a different brand. Our children have ones by L.L. Bean (these are made just like an adult's shoes and are moderately priced...great buy for a kid)

Ours have been fabulous and saw a lot of miles of snow last year in the mountains. We purchased according to weight, and they still look like new. If you'd like to try out the sport without spending alot on shoes to begin with, you might want to try them out. Last year they also sold them on Amazon for a good price.

I don't know if you have this option or not, but our town holds a local "ski swap" every year where you can pick up equipment for a great price. Granted, I live in a ski resort town, so maybe that type of thing isn't offered in many places, but worth checking into at any rate.

I purchased a pair of Tubbs a few years ago, I believe they were 30" Mountaineer. I got them one sale for $100. They have the strap bindings which can be a pain. Over all I like them. I have used them a half dozen times. I plan on going out this weekend since we have had a few storms dump a decent amount of snow in the area.

As with everything, borrow what you can before buying. Do any outfitters rent them in your area?

I got a pair of Tubbs Venture shoes - haven't had an opportunity to try them out yet, but they sure look nice!

womens_venture.png

Those are the bindings I was referring to in my previous post. I used a pair of Tubbs with those bindings and the shoes kept falling off, or shifting on my foot. Very frustrating.

Then a few years ago I bought my step-daughter a pair of snowshoes. Tubbs was the only brand in the store and we were kind of in a hurry and on our way to Vt so against my better judgment I bought her the Tubbs. End result was that she wound up sitting on the trail crying because her shoes would not stay on.

I had the same problem when I borrowed my brother's Yakima shoes, which use the same binding design.

I've seen some Tubbs lately being sold with plastic, ratchet style bindings. I have no experience with them.

I've been clodding along in snowshoes for over 30 years and while I started out on home-made sets strung with nylon (thanks to a LOT of dad's help) I've moved on a bit. We're using Red Feathers now with the narrow tails. Out in northeast PA we get much more wet-pack and ice than powder so the ones with built in crampons are a must. The one thing I never knew much about and now wouldn't think of leaving the house without are my gators. I didn't even know they existed until about 5 years ago, but basically it's water-proof and scuff-proof armor for your legs that extend up to the knee. They snap down onto the laces of your boot and zip up quickly on the side of your leg. You can wade through knee deep snow all day and be dry and warm in a decent pair. They're reasonably cheap, too. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post for about $23, but I think they're normally about 35-65 range. Well worth the investment though :huh:

I've been clodding along in snowshoes for over 30 years and while I started out on home-made sets strung with nylon (thanks to a LOT of dad's help) I've moved on a bit. We're using Red Feathers now with the narrow tails. Out in northeast PA we get much more wet-pack and ice than powder so the ones with built in crampons are a must. The one thing I never knew much about and now wouldn't think of leaving the house without are my gators. I didn't even know they existed until about 5 years ago, but basically it's water-proof and scuff-proof armor for your legs that extend up to the knee. They snap down onto the laces of your boot and zip up quickly on the side of your leg. You can wade through knee deep snow all day and be dry and warm in a decent pair. They're reasonably cheap, too. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post for about $23, but I think they're normally about 35-65 range. Well worth the investment though :huh:

Yes, gaiters are key. I wear them whenever there is snow on the ground, even if I'm not wearing snowshoes.

Yes, gaiters are key. I wear them whenever there is snow on the ground, even if I'm not wearing snowshoes.

I'm finding I'm always slipping and falling, so I ended up going with light weight snow pants. Two-way zippers goes all the way up the side so taking them off and putting them on with boots is a relatively easy task.

I got a pair of Tubbs Venture shoes - haven't had an opportunity to try them out yet, but they sure look nice!

womens_venture.png

Those are the bindings I was referring to in my previous post. I used a pair of Tubbs with those bindings and the shoes kept falling off, or shifting on my foot. Very frustrating.

Then a few years ago I bought my step-daughter a pair of snowshoes. Tubbs was the only brand in the store and we were kind of in a hurry and on our way to Vt so against my better judgment I bought her the Tubbs. End result was that she wound up sitting on the trail crying because her shoes would not stay on.

I had the same problem when I borrowed my brother's Yakima shoes, which use the same binding design.

I've seen some Tubbs lately being sold with plastic, ratchet style bindings. I have no experience with them.

Aw, man, don't discourage Pandora, she just got 'em for Christmas! She hasn't even been out with us yet to try them. :P

But I noticed they have aluminum claws (on the product page). :laughing:

Btw, my Atlas snowshoes have strap bindings, which someone mentioned they don't like. I haven't had a problem with them, and they cinch up quite tight (with quick-release tabs), so I haven't lost a shoe yet.

Edited by hydnsek

I've been clodding along in snowshoes for over 30 years and while I started out on home-made sets strung with nylon (thanks to a LOT of dad's help) I've moved on a bit. We're using Red Feathers now with the narrow tails. Out in northeast PA we get much more wet-pack and ice than powder so the ones with built in crampons are a must. The one thing I never knew much about and now wouldn't think of leaving the house without are my gators. I didn't even know they existed until about 5 years ago, but basically it's water-proof and scuff-proof armor for your legs that extend up to the knee. They snap down onto the laces of your boot and zip up quickly on the side of your leg. You can wade through knee deep snow all day and be dry and warm in a decent pair. They're reasonably cheap, too. I got mine from Sierra Trading Post for about $23, but I think they're normally about 35-65 range. Well worth the investment though :P

I'm finding I'm always slipping and falling, so I ended up going with light weight snow pants. Two-way zippers goes all the way up the side so taking them off and putting them on with boots is a relatively easy task.

I wear gaiters to keep snow out of my boots, plus side-zippered snow pants (or similar) to keep my butt dry after those gravity surges. :laughing:

FYI, here's a link to my Atlas 923 Elektra women's snowshoes at REI.

Edited by hydnsek

We have the Atlas Elektra E10 snowshoes in the longer length and we love them! We tried these out plus Tubbs, plus the Atlas mens snowshoes. One thing I like about the Elektra series is that they are tapered to meet a womens stride better. What this means for us is that our snowshoes don't clack against each other as much. A minor point, but I found I enjoy being quieter. Also the steel claws are great. We found them at about $100 a pair (significantly less than REI) at ORS Snowshoes direct. We bought towards the end of January last year, so expect a price drop around that time. Their service was excellent. They also sell Tubbs and MSR.

I definitely recommend trying out some of the rental places first. Here is what we found for local rental place last year. REI downtown Seattle: mostly MSR. REI Redmond mostly Atlas, including some Elektras - call ahead if you want to try them. Snowshoe rental place up at Hyak: Tubbs and Atlas. Also, I am told some of the GI Joe's sporting goods stores will rent Tubbs snowshoes.

Good luck with your shopping!

I'm willing to bet I'm the only guy in this forum that still uses wood and rawhide shoes.I've got a pair of new Bear paw shoes from Cabela's.Great for tight woods and deep powder,but the things are so wide I had to walk bow legged in them.So my neighbor had a pair of green mountain style shoes that are I'm guessing 30 years old.A set of new bindings and they're just the thing.I use mine for Hiking,hunting and strapped to my snowmobile.

What'd you think I was going to say?I use Tubbs? :laughing:

Btw, my Atlas snowshoes have strap bindings, which someone mentioned they don't like. I haven't had a problem with them, and they cinch up quite tight (with quick-release tabs), so I haven't lost a shoe yet.

My Atlas shoes have strap bindings too, but their design is much better than the Tubbs strab bindings. The Atlas straps are nice because they work as well with bulky Sorel style boots as they do with hiking boots or trail shoes.

I'm willing to bet I'm the only guy in this forum that still uses wood and rawhide shoes.I've got a pair of new Bear paw shoes from Cabela's.Great for tight woods and deep powder,but the things are so wide I had to walk bow legged in them.So my neighbor had a pair of green mountain style shoes that are I'm guessing 30 years old.A set of new bindings and they're just the thing.I use mine for Hiking,hunting and strapped to my snowmobile.

When I started I used the old wood/rawhide shoes. I paid laround $100 for them. I think they were made by Green Mountain Snowshoes. Anyway, I used them for about 10 years, then sold them at a garage sale for $50 bucks. Not too shabby. I remember the bindings were leather and pretty sucky. I eventually replaced them with neoprene bindings I bought from LL Bean. A minor improvement. THey didn't have crampons either. Going up and downhill took some work. I didn't know what I was missing at the time, but since I've used shoes with built in crampons I'd never go back.

My Atlas shoes have strap bindings too, but their design is much better than the Tubbs strab bindings. The Atlas straps are nice because they work as well with bulky Sorel style boots as they do with hiking boots or trail shoes.

When I started I used the old wood/rawhide shoes. I paid laround $100 for them. I think they were made by Green Mountain Snowshoes. Anyway, I used them for about 10 years, then sold them at a garage sale for $50 bucks. Not too shabby. I remember the bindings were leather and pretty sucky. I eventually replaced them with neoprene bindings I bought from LL Bean. A minor improvement. THey didn't have crampons either. Going up and downhill took some work. I didn't know what I was missing at the time, but since I've used shoes with built in crampons I'd never go back.

I like my redfeathers! Check SIERRATRADINGPOST.COM often for great deals & recommendations!

I agree adamantly! Sierra has outstanding deals if you time it right. Their prices on shoes aren't great right this minute (still good, but not Grrreat!) but in a month or two they'll suddenly be about half their normal prices. While on a trip to the White Mountains 2 years ago, Moun10Girl didn't have her shoes so when we saw a pair at Wally world of all places, we said what the heck it's only $40 and grabbed a pair. We're really impressed with how well they're made and how well they've held up since. Even scrambling on shale over where we're at, they've taken a lickin and keep on tickin. You could probably find them at walmart.com, but I've never seen them at our local Wally.

edit: Okay, just checked the online and they don't show up, but maybe some of our New Englander cachers could find them up their way at a local. We found them at the North Conway store in NH.

edit: Found'm! Still great prices, too: http://www.yukoncharlies.com/index.cfm?page=1

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I remember the bindings were leather and pretty sucky. I eventually replaced them with neoprene bindings I bought from LL Bean. A minor improvement.

Yup,the leather bindings weren't the greatest.Neoprene is the way to go with wooden shoes.I like em.I'm a nostalgic guy,what can I say? :rolleyes:

Not to say I'd never try a pair of the new ones.Heck you guys in this forum already got me liking those collapsable trekking poles.Now THOSE are the cat's behind!

so people really prefer the aluminum small snowshoes?

I've been thinking of getting some, but the wooden ones just seem so much nicer for deep snow.

I've used both. The modern shoes perform far better in deep snow. They don't sink in as deep.

The crampons are also great for climbing and going down hill. With wooden shoes I always had to zig zag across the face of a hill, but with the modern shoes I go right up or down.

As far as small aluminum shoes, I'd only use them for trail running on packed snow. You'd need an appropriate sized shoe for your weight and intended uses, usually somewhere between 25" and 36". The smaller size kids and lighter adults and packed trails, the larger for heavier adults and going off packed trails.

product_77416.jpg

i've got a couple pair of these permagrin 10's by crescent moon with the old style fabric bindings from some years back (2001)... i prefer it to the direction the company has gone since the original owner sold the company off. liked 'em so much after i took the first pair for a hike that i trecked back to the store and picked up another pair just in case the inevitable would happen... and it did. now it's twice more fun having the second pair to share with friends!

Edited by slidegear

Chiming in with my love for the Sam's Club shoes. I had 3 pair to buy this year for Christmas presents and bought according to weight for the kids etc and they are really easy to use. I needed something I could throw on to find those caches out in the woods and then toss in the back of the Jeep AND they had to fit my restricted budget.

I hiked about 5 miles yesterday on my Coleman Exponent model 9300 (9" X 30") snowshoes. In the 2 miles of cross country the shoes sunk in about 5-6 inches with each step. It was much easier to walk on the snowmobile tracks that were made several weeks ago. I do own a pair of "old style" Canadian Lacrosse shoes that I recently repaired the webbing.

If you're unsure if you have the stamina or desire for snowshoeing find a ski shop/sporting goods store that will rent a pair for a day or two. Stay away from the old leather bindings. The pinch type plastic strap releases hold up well and are easier to deal with than buckles.

Tom Fuller

Crescent, Oregon

Bindings are critical! Enjoyment of a trip can often be dictated by how much you need to fool around with the bindings to get them on, keep them on, and then get them off. I suggest focusing on the binding system first, and then at other snowshoe details.

I have two pairs of snowshoes, both older Bearpaws by Green Mountain. One pair has rawhide lacing, the other has neoprene lacing, other than that, they are the same. I've found absolutely no difference in performance of rawhide Vs neoprene lacing. The rawhide laced snowshoes do look cooler on the wall when not being used. :ph34r:

Both pairs of Bearpaws have old-tech cinch-lace bindings. They lace over the boot, with a back strap to hold in the heel. These bindings have definitely detracted from walking in the snow. They are tough to get on, frequently come unlaced when walking, and when the lacing freezes, they are tough to get off. I'd never buy this type of binding again.

My son has a pair of aluminum frame, neoprene base snowshoes with a latch type step-in binding with a molded heel instead of a backstrap. These bindings work great! He steps in, the binding is latched, and he's off. The bindings never seem to come undone while walking, and are easy to get out of at the end of the day. The binding has an integrated strip claw, which provides for excellent traction. The label is worn off, but I seem to recall these being made by Atlas.

When the rawhide Bearpaws go up on the wall for the last time, I'm defintely going to find a performance binding I like, and then match a snowshoe to it.

This past weekend myself and my buddy and his girlfriend went rabbit hunting on snow shoes.You're not kidding about those Tubbs bindings.That was the first thing he said to me as we headed out."They're nice shoes,but they loosen up alot."Sure enough he was messing with them about one hundred yards from the truck.Hers didn't seem to loosen much.I didn't get a chance to try them,however they looked like they were doing good when they stayed on.From a hunting standpoint,they did seem to make more noise than my wood/rawhide bear paws,mainly because of the crampons.That was solely because we had a warm spell followed by negative temps which make a crust on the snow and make walking with shoes super loud.But performance wise he was walking with much better traction than I was.Just wanted to mention this to anybody looking at a set of Tubbs.Great shoes but the binding suck.