Where did the satellites go?

HaricotVert_52

I've been happily caching with my GARMIN GPSmap 60cs since October (60+ caches). I intialized the unit per instructions when I got it and have had excellent satellite reception so far. The unit would take only about 5-10 minutes at most to acquire a set of satellites and lock them in with good signal strength.

I went out last weekend on a very cloudy day and kept losing the signal - of course always just as I was zeroing in on the cache. Since then it seems I can't lock in a signal long enough to find a cache any more. On New Year's Day, we tried to go caching but it took the GPSr more than 30 minutes to find a signal, and then it would often be unable to hang on to it. I only had a few paltry bars showing signal strength. We had a frustrating day of many DNFs with few satellites, low signal strength bars and lots of "Weak GPS Signal" messages.

I may had accidentally hit some sort of reset on that cloudy day. But I've changed to brand new batteries, recalibrated the compass, reloaded the unit's software, and re-initialized the unit allowing it more than an hour to locate and acquire the signal. The unit nows find the satellite signals in about 10 minutes but the bars are all pretty low and it's still iffy whether it can hang on to them.

;) Did something happen on Jan 1 that changed the satellites? Does cold weather make a difference? Is there anything else I can do the strengthen my signal reception (short of buying a new more expensive GSPr)? My GPSr used to work just fine.

I'd appreciate any suggestions to be able to get back up to speed. Thanks!

Yes - turn it on and let it sit with a nice clear of view of the sky for about an hour or 2. Turn it off. Turn it back on and repeat. Then it should work better - if not call Garmin's tech support - they are wonderful.

My older Garmin units seem to need that procedure about once per year or after sitting unused for a few months. It works for me.

Seems there are days that you just can't get a signal. I have a Magellan that I use in the car. Never had a problem with it before. Then a few weeks ago we were driving to my brother-in-law's house and I couldn't get a signal for the first hour of an hour and a half ride.

On the way home that evening it took 45 minutes to get a lock and would lose it constantly.

Haven't had a problem since.

Yes - turn it on and let it sit with a nice clear of view of the sky for about an hour or 2. Turn it off. Turn it back on and repeat. Then it should work better - if not call Garmin's tech support - they are wonderful.

My older Garmin units seem to need that procedure about once per year or after sitting unused for a few months. It works for me.

a 4 hour sit to synch with the satellites? that's crazy talk! :anicute:

a 4 hour sit to synch with the satellites? that's crazy talk! :anicute:

30 minutes tops.

Thanks for the suggestions. For the past few days, I left the GPSr on as suggested for as long as I could (1hr+). Can't leave it out alone in the car too long, unfortunately because of a recent spate of car break-ins in the neighborhood.

But this morning the unit found satellites very quickly and zeroed right in on a cache that I could not grab only due to very heavy muggle infestation.

I'll be back for that cache at another time, :P but I'm very happy that my GPSr is working well for an upcoming out of town trip with some caching in mind.

Your tips were a great help. Thanks to all!

Turn the unit on and just let it set for a LONG time...let it reset itself. I've heard people with Garmins say they have to do this from time to time! The 10-15 minutes to acquire and lock signal...that's TERRIBLE!! My Magellan 500LE used to lock within a minute or so, even right out of the box!!

Heckfire Roddy!!! My huge bulky extra large good ole Maridian Gold still does that after 3 years of hammering down caches and routing me turn-by-turn all over the good ole USA and.......... Italy even.

What a sweet huge unit it has been. :unsure::P:P

Turn the unit on and just let it set for a LONG time...let it reset itself. I've heard people with Garmins say they have to do this from time to time! The 10-15 minutes to acquire and lock signal...that's TERRIBLE!! My Magellan 500LE used to lock within a minute or so, even right out of the box!!

Heckfire Roddy!!! My huge bulky extra large good ole Maridian Gold still does that after 3 years of hammering down caches and routing me turn-by-turn all over the good ole USA and.......... Italy even.

What a sweet huge unit it has been. :P:unsure::P

Mine would too...if it hadn't been stolen!! I should say, it probably does still...if it's still in one piece!! :yikes: The funny thing about my 500LE, it locked on in the Lowes store where we stopped to buy batteries (yes, we forgot them when buying the unit, so went right across the street to get some). That was the very first it had been turned on and it locked within a minute INSIDE the Lowes store (steel coverage)....my Garmin wouldn't even lock OUTSIDE in the parking lot...go figure!!

Any updates on the unit in the OP??