Sharing the Fun

2-not-lost

hi, I don't think my forum showed up..LOL so here it is again.. sorry newbie!

Hi, I'm a newbie and not really complaining, but I got GPS for Christmas and was looking forward to joining in on the hobby. I contacted several Parks in my area, Ohio, Summit and Medina and Bath, parks personal, rangers about their rules and permissions for Geocaching. I have been informed by a few now, that the area is over cached. no new ones allowed. I looked up locations and there are quite a few hides made by same individuals at several parks. I know it is fun and easy to get carried away, but it should be a general politically correct I should say, not rule, I don't wanna come on a bossy, or anything, but a member out of courtesy should only hide, one maybe two per park area...in order to allow others to enjoy the fun of hiding. A few parks have the same person hiding from 3 to as many as 5 in one park. so anyways, just thought I would bring the topic up. I know no one can make rules etc. I know some parks do require permits with coordinates and inspections every year, so, when that deadline comes around, again, if you decide to remove a cache, maybe we ought to have a locations now open forum or something, so far I have heard from Medina and Bath, waiting to hear from the state parks Portage lakes and Quail Hollow, and a few City parks.. I only have 4 caches I went out and bought to hide this spring, and I only plan one to a park. thanks for your ear, and I hope I have not offended anyone, but not only to share the fun, but if we over cache an area or take advantage of the rules and the rangers see this, they may decided to take away all our fun, so we should do this in moderation per park. I only contacted these areas to find out the rules, any permits required etc. I did not want to give Geocaching a bad name if they found hide that did not have permission on their properties. I know some people may think, well they'll never notice them, why ask, but my luck, they'll look in my log book, look me up and get me and the whole organization an earful and we are already battling a bad reputation about respecting the environment, according to the Summit County Metro Parks, so each and every one of us, hiders and finders need to be on our best and follow guidelines in our areas and with fellow cachers, if we want to keep this hobby respected and welcomed and fun! Have a Great Day!

Give yourself time to settle into the game. Go find some more caches ... and not just caches in parks. You might amaze yourself with how many places are still un-cached.

yeh I do need to work on finding, but don't ya, in general, no matter where you hide them, need permission from somebody? I was just dissapointed, I went out and bought these neat enviromentally friendly boxes and goodies to put in them and all. so far, I just looked for one, had 9 satellites on me, on the exact coordinates and could not find it anywheres. LOL I don't think I am very good at this. :P hope it warms up a bit here in Ohio, so I can get out and look some more. searching tips welcome! ThanX

Hi, and welcome to our RASH (Recreational Activity/Sport/Hobby). I am one of the cachers that hid multiple caches in the same park. One day I was seeking parks I had not yet been to, and saw Summitt Lake SP. So I went to gc.com to see what caches were hidden there for me to seek and surprise surprise! Not a single cache in that park. So I contacted the park mgt, obtained a registration form, and jumped through the hoops. Yes, I promptly placed 3 caches in that park, so that visitors would get more than one smiley for their $5 admission fee, and hopefully draw more cachers to the park for a multiple find day. In the early days, park mgt let me know that they were very happy to see the added traffic that caching brought their way. The caches remain popular, and I do maintain them. In fact, when a fisherman found one of them, he talked with park mgt to learn what he'd found, (he thought he'd found someone's fishing tackle at first) and mgt helped in getting the cache returned to it's proper spot.

Similarly, I placed 4 caches over a couple of years at Cataract Falls, because there was only one cache there, plenty of room and it is such an awesome gem of IN that I wanted to encourage more cachers to visit. If you haven't been there, go. You'll be glad you did.

It's true that if I find a nice, big uncached area, I like to place more than one, to draw people there and offer them hours of caching happiness. Better than going out to a remote area, finding one cache in a half hour and then you are done.

Grins, -2q

Hi, and welcome to our RASH (Recreational Activity/Sport/Hobby). I am one of the cachers that hid multiple caches in the same park. One day I was seeking parks I had not yet been to, and saw Summitt Lake SP. So I went to gc.com to see what caches were hidden there for me to seek and surprise surprise! Not a single cache in that park. So I contacted the park mgt, obtained a registration form, and jumped through the hoops. Yes, I promptly placed 3 caches in that park, so that visitors would get more than one smiley for their $5 admission fee, and hopefully draw more cachers to the park for a multiple find day. In the early days, park mgt let me know that they were very happy to see the added traffic that caching brought their way. The caches remain popular, and I do maintain them. In fact, when a fisherman found one of them, he talked with park mgt to learn what he'd found, (he thought he'd found someone's fishing tackle at first) and mgt helped in getting the cache returned to it's proper spot.

Similarly, I placed 4 caches over a couple of years at Cataract Falls, because there was only one cache there, plenty of room and it is such an awesome gem of IN that I wanted to encourage more cachers to visit. If you haven't been there, go. You'll be glad you did.

It's true that if I find a nice, big uncached area, I like to place more than one, to draw people there and offer them hours of caching happiness. Better than going out to a remote area, finding one cache in a half hour and then you are done.

Grins, -2q

yeh I can see your point when ya gotta pay to get in, whoa bummer. I also go for the "hike" though, not just to cache..and I like to go places where I can take my dogs, so that also limits where I can go. I am learning how to use this map system to locate under and over cached areas, although I don't plan to hide any till spring now, I am thinking, would be too hard in the snow and mud, ick. I guess for right now I am a causal cacher and more a hiker, but I gotta laugh, because this sure does explain a whole lot of "mysterious acting people at parks" I had encountered while hiking, before I knew of this, I startled one guy once who was off trail, who was busy moving leaves around, who quickly gave me a story of "looking for golf balls", LOL, I guess at that point I was a, what do you call bystanders..Muggies? boy I got allot to learn!

I strongly urge you to get some finds before worrying about putting out caches. Too often folks get so fired up about putting out a cache that they don't realize that it takes some effort to place one.

Find some. Try to keep in mind the elements of the ones you truly enjoyed finding and let that guide you in placing your caches.

Edited by Torry

I strongly urge you to get some finds before worrying about putting out caches. Too often folks get so fired up about putting out a cache that they don't realize that it takes some effort to place one.

Find some. Try to keep in mind the elements of the ones you truly enjoyed finding at let that guide you in placing your caches.

Listen to the pig. Is there a rip in the time-space continuum here? somethings seems off.... :anicute:

Find some. Try to keep in mind the elements of the ones you truly enjoyed finding at let that guide you in placing your caches.

Listen to the pig. Is there a rip in the time-space continuum here? somethings seems off.... :laughing:

That's okay. I scare myself sometimes.

B) I think Geocaching was inspired from Squirrels, cuz Geocachers are NUTS! :)

what a nice spring like 63* degrees in mid January in Ohio

..Love it! B)

I just got a GPS too... this is fun!

I never realized how wide spread this sport -

hobby was till I started looking at the maps. wow

being that I was frequent hiker before this "new adventure"

it does explain allot of .. "odd behavior" I have noticed in the Parks... :)

must of been you guys hiding and searching.. what a hoot! :)

now I'll be one of those "strange acting people" ...

this is funny.

hope to meet some of you all someday at a get together!

Edited by luv-me-jeep

Come on out Ohio people.. I got my GPS on Dec 30th and have not looked back yet..

16 found in 3 days out.. just picking up this fun game.. My kids are asking each day when are we going out today...

Its fun..

Edited by Fratt

Find some. Try to keep in mind the elements of the ones you truly enjoyed finding and let that guide you in placing your caches.

not much luck finding yet, any good advice?

I have a feeling I am walking right by them. :anicute: