What would a possible $6/gallon do for your Cachin Mojo?

Snoogans

Adjusting for inflation we just topped the cost of oil in 1980. :P Anyone remember K cars? (where's the pukey emoticon?) :)

Get used to this being the norm instead of an anomoly real soon:

9021ff1e-6766-47bd-a94e-97322bb112ab.jpg

I saw on the news that the prediction is for gas to top out at $6.00+ a gallon over the next 2 years and to STAY that way for awhile. That's roughly what they are paying in Europe the last time I saw their cost per liter converted.

How will this affect your cachin' mojo IF it becomes reality?

BTW- I was paying $2.48 a gallon just a few weeks ago. I paid $2.89 a gallon for a tank this morning and the same station was selling for $3.05 when I drove bye tonight. :)

Actually, oil went that high a month or two ago, momentarily. I figgered they'd use it as an excuse to bump us up to $5/gal & leave it there when the oil price dropped again (does it make sense to up the price of gas for EVERY summer/winter formula change, & never drop it again?).

Really, the price of gas should go up less then a quarter a gallon due to the increase in oil prices.

They will keep upping the cost of gasoline until we stop complaining about fighting wars that we have no business sticking our noses into. Then, they will continue milking us.

Down Under, we're at about A$1.50/litre, which would work out to (hmmm... divide by the date, subtract the number I first thought of, carry the one...)

about USD6.45/gallon

Wait til you hear the European numbers, though...

(I remember going to the UK for the first time and seeing the price and thinking "That's not so bad!" Then it occurred to me that this was in pence, not cents...)

In the UK this morning, diesel was £1.05 per litre at my local supermarket. That's £4.77 or approximately $9.54 an imperial gallon or $7.95 for one of your somewhat smaller US gallons.

And doesn't London charge some astronomical toll for entering the center portion of the city?

What is that?!

And doesn't London charge some astronomical toll for entering the center portion of the city?

What is that?!

It's called the Congestion Charge - you only pay if you drive into central London. Not sure why anyone without mobility problems would want to do that, as public buses, trains and underground / Tube are much more convenient - even taxis are reasonable for a short journey with a group of people. When I lived in London I walked and cycled a lot, too, as it was often quicker and easier - and there are far more cycle tracks now than 1985/88 and 97/98 when I was there.

It will definately affect me. I don't really have a lot of money to burn, being (mostly) retired. I guess I'll have to deal with the cold a little more and extend the Harley's season a month or two! :huh:

So, just out of curiousity...which gets better mileage...a Harley or a Prius?

:(

I get about 35MPG, so probably the Prius. Which one is more fun??? You decide! HAHAHAHHA ;)B)B)

2001Prius.jpg

OR.....

SummerRide.jpg

Edited by geowizerd

It will definately affect me. I don't really have a lot of money to burn, being (mostly) retired. I guess I'll have to deal with the cold a little more and extend the Harley's season a month or two! :(

;)

I get about 35MPG, so probably the Prius. Which one is more fun??? HAHAHAHHA B)B):huh:

Good point!

Ten months out of the year, I would opt for the Harley, however, today...it is 17 degrees outside.

;)

I already ride my Kaw as long as I can until the snow flies...and get her out of my kitchen as soon as the road dries. I love my Jeep, but the costs of driving her....OUCH!!

I don't get out to cache much at all. I did get out to guide a friend a few days ago, but to find any real numbers of caches, I'd have to travel. More hiding for us this year!!

I'd KILL for gas being ONLY 6 bucks a gallon!! I'm currently paying (gawd, how I hate converting it) 7.15 a gallon for gas and have been paying close to that now for more than a year...

It hurts, but it's a part of life here and you just live with it.

Naomi ;)

Only $7.15 per gallon, luxury. The other day I was in the wilds of North Devon and had to pay £1.06 per litre ($8.01 per US Gallon). It's not stopped us caching yet!

At $3.05 average here in Anchorage AK yesterday.

We have a slightly twisted view of oil prices here at 61ºNorth...

while higher prices sting individually, higher prices 'fuel' the cost

of our government quite nicely (and contribute to our much-vaunted

'Permanent Fund' - with its annual check to Alaskans for "just living

here" - like being paid to live in paradise!).

Carpooling to geocache a big 'run' on a Saturday per month is

sounding pretty wise right now - and the company's great!

The price of gas sucks, but luckily there are thousands of caches within a few miles of my house (some better than others).

The 45min drive to work sucks too. I used to have to do that. It worked out to almost 500miles a week on my old car and it would probably cost about $3600/year now.

A big part of the oil price has to do with the fact the the U.S. dollar is in the tank (no pun intended) so that $100/brl is worth about $75 of last years money (and most oil is traded in U.S. dollars).

At least in Europe a large chunk of the price at the pump goes to taxes to fix the roads. In the U.S. we have to pay at the pump and then pay again in local taxes to fix the roads.

Where I live the price has been averaging about $3.17 at the cheapest stations, but jumped to $3.21 yesterday. Going to have to see if I can finagle working from home once or twice a week ;)

My caching wouldn't change too much with increased gas prices. I usually cache with a friend so that helps us both. My car gets about 35 MPG which also helps. Not to mention I live 2.5 miles from where I work. In warmer weather I ride my bicycle to work. My wife and I used to drive 45 miles each way to work, separately. We moved to save $$$. 2.5 miles vs 45 miles!!! So the dollars I save on the drive to work helps offset some of my geo expenses!! Usually there are sufficient caches in my area to keep me busy, thanks to our local cachers!! ;)

I drive 45 minutes one way to get to work and another 45 minutes home.

I often wonder at what point it would be cheaper to quit my job and get a lower paying job a block down the street from my house.

One of the reasons I don't understand many of my neighbors is their commute costs, not just fuel but the cost and maintenance of a vehicle too. I prefer using the company's fuel or driving in just once or twice a week. And I'm not quite an hour from downtown!

As for the caching, I already combine it with trips I make for other purposes, such as blood donation or shopping. I anticipate that the time will come when I load the bicycle and park in a convenient location to several caches. Perhaps, I should get with others and we could make a run, but scheduling something with my schedule is so difficult.

Edit to add-- the biggest problem with fuel mileage for most is their driving habits. Slowing down, long slow smooth acceleration, and eliminating unneeded stopping (and the resultant acceleration) will help with fuel economy.

Edited by Trucker Lee

I drive a Honda. Gas prices don't concern me.

Toyota, same difference ;)

When I pull up to a gas station though and see what the last guy paid B)

Just curious: How do you guys feel about living in a state where your government prevents you from enjoying the self-service option? How many extra dollars per tankful does that friendly bit of forced-convenience legislation cost you?

It's nice to have an attendant pump your gas for you, but it isn't free. Governor Corzine wanted to change New Jersey’s full-service-only law and allow retailers to offer self-service gas, which he said could potentially save you guys 6 cents per gallon or more (others estimate the cost of the full-service law to be as high as 15 cents per gallon).

”The result was a near revolt.”

It’s interesting. People seem to love to scream about gas prices and demand government intervention without a care as to what a forced reduction in prices might do to someone else, but ... as soon as a price reduction means a potential inconvenience for themselves the price suddenly doesn’t matter so much any more.

Never mind the idea that the inconvenience would only be voluntary since retailers would probably continue to offer full-service gas alongside self-service in order to compete and keep their customers happy.

I’ve been curious, but I’ve never actually asked someone who lives in New Jersey, so: Are you guys for or against your state's law?

... as soon as a price reduction means a potential inconvenience for themselves the price suddenly doesn’t matter so much any more.

Never mind the idea that the inconvenience would only be voluntary since retailers would probably continue to offer full-service gas alongside self-service in order to compete and keep their customers happy.

Inconvenience? I'm not from New Jersey, but my wife's family vacations there, so I'm there one week each year. The first time I vacationed with her family, I wasn't aware of the state law, and hopped out and started pumping my gas, like I do at home and when I visit the other 48 states. The attendant about came unglued, so I hopped back in my car and waited 5 minutes until he had the time to put the handle in and grip the trigger for me. Then I wasn't sure whether I was obligated to tip him or not, so I did. He kind of looked at me funny, but caught himself and pocketed the loot. I was later told by my sister-in-law that tipping isn't necessary. THAT was an inconvenience. On my subsequent visits, I've reluctantly sat in my driver's seat and waited patiently (okay, perhaps not so patiently) for the attendant to make his or her way over to my window. I'd much rather pump my own fuel, thank you. ;)

My area has few new caches - maybe one/month. I've gotten everything within 7.5 miles of my home, and much of what is hidden beyond that radius is spread out and requiring a decent hike, so driving even 30 minutes rarely yields more than one or two finds. When spring comes, I hope to strap my bike to my car and do some relay auto/bike caching outings. ;)

This past spring I purchased a car that requires premium fuel, and I'm paying dearly now. B)

... as soon as a price reduction means a potential inconvenience for themselves the price suddenly doesn’t matter so much any more.

Inconvenience? I'm not from New Jersey, but my wife's family vacations there, so I'm there one week each year. The first time I vacationed with her family, I wasn't aware of the state law, and hopped out and started pumping my gas, like I do at home and when I visit the other 48 states. The attendant about came unglued, so I hopped back in my car and waited 5 minutes until he had the time to put the handle in and grip the trigger for me. Then I wasn't sure whether I was obligated to tip him or not, so I did. He kind of looked at me funny, but caught himself and pocketed the loot. I was later told by my sister-in-law that tipping isn't necessary. THAT was an inconvenience. On my subsequent visits, I've reluctantly sat in my driver's seat and waited patiently (okay, perhaps not so patiently) for the attendant to make his or her way over to my window. I'd much rather pump my own fuel, thank you. ;)

Remember when everything was full serve and you got your oils checked and they washed your windshield whiel the tank was filling? I do, that's how I made my spending money as a teen. Then they came up with self serve to offer you a chance to save a few cents per gallon if you didn't want the full service. Finally they phased out full serve to save on employee salaries and cost of benefits etc. but we are probably still paying the full serve prices without realizing it. Rant over.

All I know is if getting rid of that law would, in theory, free up $.06/gal then there is already some hefty milking going. It wouldn't cost that much to employ people to pump gas.

Uh . . . at the self-service station I go to, there are six pumps. Inside the building, there is one employee. At times, all six pumps are being used and I have to wait in line to pull forward. If they hired attendants to pump gas, they would need several people. Otherwise it would take an hour for that one person to pump gas for six waiting vehicles, and also take the money for coffee and donuts at the register inside the little building.

All I know is if getting rid of that law would, in theory, free up $.06/gal then there is already some hefty milking going. It wouldn't cost that much to employ people to pump gas.

Uh . . . at the self-service station I go to, there are six pumps. Inside the building, there is one employee. At times, all six pumps are being used and I have to wait in line to pull forward. If they hired attendants to pump gas, they would need several people. Otherwise it would take an hour for that one person to pump gas for six waiting vehicles, and also take the money for coffee and donuts at the register inside the little building.

Depends on the numbers...every store would be different. Go ask that store how many gallons they push through in a year and do the math. Seems like a fair chunk. Hard to say...

Adjusting for inflation we just topped the cost of oil in 1980. ;) Anyone remember K cars? (where's the pukey emoticon?) B) ...

Allowing for inflation Oil would cost more every year just like everthing else. That it hasn't is amazing.

the real cost of cheap oil is sprawl...which depends on cheap oil. My next move I'm going to live within walking distance of work. Save my driving for caching or fun things and get the exercise the other 5 days a week.

In WWII there wasn't enough gas to get around. People rode bikes, took transit, walked and went on sunday drives.

I drive a Honda. Gas prices don't concern me.

Toyota, same difference ;)

When I pull up to a gas station though and see what the last guy paid B)

Just curious: How do you guys feel about living in a state where your government prevents you from enjoying the self-service option? How many extra dollars per tankful does that friendly bit of forced-convenience legislation cost you?

It's nice to have an attendant pump your gas for you, but it isn't free. Governor Corzine wanted to change New Jersey’s full-service-only law and allow retailers to offer self-service gas, which he said could potentially save you guys 6 cents per gallon or more (others estimate the cost of the full-service law to be as high as 15 cents per gallon).

”The result was a near revolt.”

It’s interesting. People seem to love to scream about gas prices and demand government intervention without a care as to what a forced reduction in prices might do to someone else, but ... as soon as a price reduction means a potential inconvenience for themselves the price suddenly doesn’t matter so much any more.

I’ve been curious, but I’ve never actually asked someone who lives in New Jersey, so: Are you guys for or against your state's law?

Honestly, I hate the no-self service option but not for the cost reason.. which never even occurred to me since Jersey consistantly has lower gas prices than any of our neighbors (my civil engineer friend says low-gas tax is why are roads are also the worst around) I remember reading when prices hit $3 that there were only two states still averaging below that NJ and i think NH.

I'm irritated by the full service only option b/c I grew up in New York and I have no patience. I hate waiting 10 minutes for the one attendant to get to the 12 cars that are there, and then to come back again at the end.

Also, I'm pretty sick of having to say "don't top it off" and then 95% of the time explain to the guy that those words mean "stop what he is in the process of doing" ...a few times they've argued with me, um I'm paying with a Credit Card, it doesn't matter.

Oy, Once an attendant refused to admit that my tank only took what it did "it must be broken" and kept trying to fill, ended up spilling gas all over the car and station. bright guy.

I'll stop ranting, but yeah, I'd support getting rid of that law.

they DO need several people but they never seem to have enough, i doubt prices would drop that much..the one or two guys working would just do less

they DO need several people but they never seem to have enough, i doubt prices would drop that much..the one or two guys working would just do less

"No Self Pumping" Laws are meant to increase jobs. I normally annoy a couple of attendents when I'm in Oregon. It takes me awhile to remember the change in rules.

Full Service is rare. The last station I knew about was in Boise. The older folks used it because it was the last place that actually had people who checked your air pressure, oil and all that. It died a number of years ago. Not enough old folks to keep them in business. Younger folks won't pay the extra price for full service.

"No Self Pumping" isn't full service. It's all most of those kids can do to fill the tank. Mostly it's just slower. They get annoyed if you get out of the car on them to do something like check your oil.

Edited by Renegade Knight

"No Self Pumping" Laws are meant to increase jobs. I normally annoy a couple of attendents when I'm in Oregon. It takes me awhile to remember the change in rules.

Full Service is rare. The last station I knew about was in Boise. The older folks used it because it was the last place that actually had people who checked your air pressure, oil and all that. It died a number of years ago. Not enough old folks to keep them in business. Younger folks won't pay the extra price for full service.

"No Self Pumping" isn't full service. It's all most of those kids can do to fill the tank. Mostly it's just slower. They get annoyed if you get out of the car on them to do something like check your oil.

I didn't realize there was any full service areas left, much less a requirement. One of the reasons for them being phased out was OSHA concerns over benzene exposure. Breathing gas fumes all day long is bad for ones health.

It will definately affect me. I don't really have a lot of money to burn, being (mostly) retired. I guess I'll have to deal with the cold a little more and extend the Harley's season a month or two! :anicute:

:anibad:

I just got this about a week ago.. 42mpg (I'd like to think I look better on this than in a Prius)

custom.jpg

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I need to drive my Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (3.4L V6) until 2009...

Then I buy a Honda Civic Hybrid...

So, hopefully gas prices won't hit $8 per gallon until 2009 :anicute:

Honestly though, I am hoping that we figure something else out - maybe switch over completely to Ethanol like they did in Columbia (I think - it is one of those slightly messed up South American countries).

Ethanol isn't much more environmentally friendly than gas, but we can produce it for less money, and we don't have to go through the middle east to get to it (last time I checked, Nebraska didn't want to nuke anyone).

Either way, I'm stuck at 22mpg in my Olds until 2009 :anibad:

In the UK this morning, diesel was £1.05 per litre at my local supermarket. That's £4.77 or approximately $9.54 an imperial gallon or $7.95 for one of your somewhat smaller US gallons.

I'm not even sure what we pay per gallon for taxes in Wisconsin, but isn't most of the price of gas in Europe taxes?

When it hits $8.00/gal I'll start to worry. Until then I'm burning it like there's no tomorrow. :anibad::P:P

Must be nice.... I have already cut way back on when and where I go. Sunday afternoon pleasure drives? Furgheddaboutit! :anibad::anicute:

Thank God. I despise old people out for their 'Sunday pleasure drives'!

Getouttamyway!

:anibad:

michelle

(only slightly kidding)