Track log issues

liveoz

Obviously my first post, but I have searched for hours and have not seen a similar issue. I bought a Etrex VistaHcx for a backpacking trip in Costa Rica. It worked fantastic, even in the heavist tree cover. I used it mainly to navigate and avoid getting lost in the jungle.

I am now using it mostly to route and record my tracks on runs or hikes. I am not sure what setting I have changed but on my last two runs (both out and backs for the most part) the tracks are just a portion of the run. the trip computer is on and accurate the entire time, so I don't think it is a reception issue. On my last run, I left my house and ran 4 miles, when I reviewed and downloaded the track it only showed a segment of 1.1 miles that was in the middle of the run (about a mile from my house) All my tracks are also perfectly straight lines now, if I were to walk 1/2 way around a block, my track would be a straight line from my starting point to my current location, it would not show that I have walked AROUND the block but instead make a straight line to the point I am now at. It did not do that before. I have played with every setting and cannot fix these issues, so any insight would be appreciated.

A couple of other things you might try if you haven't already.

1. Check to be sure you didn't accidently change the number of track points to display to some very small number.

2. In your case, clear the active track log after each run.

3. Do a test run with your GPS set to save track to memory card and view track from your memory card on your computer, to verify that the entire track is indeed being recorded. Tracks saved to memory card will have more detail than a saved track in the track log.

Edited by eaparks

I don't have a Etrex VistaHcx but my understanding is that they have an issue regarding moving slower than 2 miles and hour. They don't record movement that slow, but jump from one position to another. You might try updating the unit's software/firmware. I think there was a fix.

Other than that you might check your record method. Most people use auto/most.

I don't have a Etrex VistaHcx but my understanding is that they have an issue regarding moving slower than 2 miles and hour. They don't record movement that slow, but jump from one position to another. You might try updating the unit's software/firmware. I think there was a fix.

Other than that you might check your record method. Most people use auto/most.

I don't think that applies to the track log, only the odometer. I get a cluster of track log points even when I'm sitting still. However, it's possible it could affect the frequency of logging based on the auto->least/less/more/most setting.

Ok.

Anyway if it is your record method you have three main options Time, Distance, Auto, and these can be set at different values such as Time/1 sec (on up to who knows how long), or Distance/.01 miles (on up), or Auto/least (on up to most). That could be your problem, setting the value too high.

This part of your statement: " All my tracks are also perfectly straight lines now, if I were to walk 1/2 way around a block, my track would be a straight line from my starting point to my current location, it would not show that I have walked AROUND the block but instead make a straight line to the point I am now at." Sort of sounds like you have set a waypoint (or man-overboard) at your house and as you move away from it you see the "goto" line to where you are. But maybe you know better than that if you know about tracks, I don't know.

Here are a few examples of track log intervals: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;hl=track+log

Edited by EraSeek

Thanks for all the replies. I think you guys got it but I haven't tested it yet. My tracking method was set to record distance with an interval of 3240 yds ;) . I think that would explain all of my tracking problems. I now have it set to Auto with the interval of most often. Since memory is not an issue, this seem to be the best option. I also have set it up to save the track to the card as well. Hopefully this will make me a happy camper.

Look forward to picking your brains and contributing as soon as I gain some experience.